Author Topic: Fave Cave Scoring System  (Read 2716 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Ultra Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:40:32 AM »
What is your favorite Cave scoring system?

It's hard for me to pick just one, but I'd probably go with Mushihime-sama Maniac.
I also love Mushi Futari's various scoring systems (1.5 & BL), and Ketsui.
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Kaede

• Trade Count: (0)
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »
I've gone for the simplicity of 'galuda. Nothing more satisfying than turning a screen full of bullets into lovely x100 gold.  8)

Even though I love the game, Progear is the worst for scoring system. I still don't fully understand the system and will never figure out how the Japanese players score in the hundreds of millions.  :(

Offline RGC

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »
As with shmups.org I've gone with Dangun. Sadly, I lack the experience to comment on anything post-Mushi.

Voting Dangun is probably a cop-out, given the meticulous design behind more recent Cave scoring systems. And in principle, I should probably go with the DDP series, since I have felt that warm glow from keeping a chain going through tough times. I'm just not willing (currently) to invest the hours needed to relive that sensation. The problem might lie with me rather than the game, but that's the way it is. Dangun is simple and demanding, just like my shooting needs. Oh yeah! Can you feel it!

Offline Plasmo

• Ultra Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »
Ibara
Because i love Raizing. :P
I think Ketsui is my second favourite, eventhough i don't like the game that much the scoring system is very good to be honest.

Offline Sperrfeuer

• Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »
Espgaluda...simple, but brilliant
Ibara has a scoring system?! :confused:   ;)

Budloc

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
ESP Galuda II for me, Kakusei Zesskai (i dont know how to spell it) kicks ass !

Perfect evolution of the ESPGaluda scoring system.

Offline drboom

• Maniac Member
    • http://suicidebullets.blogspot.com
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
Ketsui, no question. I do believe it is my fav shmup EVAR.

professor ganson

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
Progear-- absolutely love it.

Offline cannonball

• Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:08:16 AM »
I'd have to say Espgaluda II is my favorite scoring system, with Progear being a close second.

Granted I haven't played Ketsui, Futari, MMP, PS, or DS.

bullet_happy

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 12:33:16 PM »
Quote from: professor ganson
Progear-- absolutely love it.
Exactly!
First post hello to everyone, really great forum.

P_Hat

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:59:54 AM »
Quote from: Kaede
I've gone for the simplicity of 'galuda. Nothing more satisfying than turning a screen full of bullets into lovely x100 gold.  8)
AHahahah +1

Offline Sycada

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:01 AM »
I'm gonna go with Progear too. It's my favorite so far (not counting non ported or unemulated cave games)
When you hit that switching rhythm it's so satisfying seeing the screen explode in gems and fireballs over and over. :)

bitkid

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:00:35 PM »
I love the scoring system in Esp Ra.De. Its always awesome firing off the bubbles and hoping that you got the timing down right for the 16x and then nailing it and taking out a bunch of popcorn enemies to make the screen burst with 16x icons!

Offline MX7

• Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
I think Cave games can be split into two main camps of scoring system: Bullet eaters (Progear, Ra.De, the Galudas) and chaining games (DDP series, Mushi series). There are some crossovers though (Guwange has a heavy emphasis on bullet eating, but is also perhaps the most meticulous chainer of them all along with Dangun). I like games where scoring well actually facilitates gameplay and makes it easier as oposed to harder like DDP, so I think I might have to go with Progear and Ketsui on this one. I think they both have a fairly similar feel to them.

jpj

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »
DOJ.

after playing DDP this month, chaining doesn't really feel very rewarding in relation to how much practice is needed to carve those routes.  and there's very little room for error.  so i can see why people find DDP's chaining to be "harsh/penalising/etc".

but with DOJ, the way your score rockets up once you learn to chain is amazing.  it seems much more 'worth the effort', and contrary to public opinion, you can improvise a lot on DOJ because of the hypers.  in fact, there's probably only two sections within stage 4 that need to be done in a particular way, but for the rest of the game there are tons of ways to take on each level.  and once you've developed your own preferred routes and can chain through a whole stage, you'll be able to recall those patterns and timings quite easily.  reminds me a lot of ikaruga :D

Offline SinHo

• Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
Ketsui ... pure and simple

The Sheep

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:18:52 AM »
yesterday I had probably chosen:

1. Progear
2. Espgaluda
3. Ketsui

This morning I received Espgaluda II and instantly fell in love with the new Kakusei Zesshikai mode. I'm a little bit undecided now. Let's see in a few days after digging a bit deeper into the score system.

Geeb

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
ESP Ra.De. The game in particular. The scoring system is simple and easy to get into.

Offline hermosaguy

• Maniac Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
I love Galuda 2.   It puts the pressure on for you to always wait for more bullets to fill the screen.

Offline le_chirurgien

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Novice Member
Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »
Ketsui, i dont really like the traditionnal chain system from Cave. Expect this one coz he's more intuitive.I also love Ibara gameplay.

I have not played  futari BL or DDPDFK again.

elf

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
Ketsui and DOJ.
I like learning chains endlessly.

jonny5

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 11:56:45 PM »
ketsui.....prolly the most intuitive scoring system for me.....

kill everything...fast and close......me likey

i have to to think less than when playing for score in other cave titles.....

lolz

mushi close second tho

Goongrave[KNS]

Fave Cave Scoring System
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 06:10:09 AM »
Quote from: jpj
DOJ.

after playing DDP this month, chaining doesn't really feel very rewarding in relation to how much practice is needed to carve those routes.  and there's very little room for error.  so i can see why people find DDP's chaining to be "harsh/penalising/etc".

but with DOJ, the way your score rockets up once you learn to chain is amazing.  it seems much more 'worth the effort', and contrary to public opinion, you can improvise a lot on DOJ because of the hypers.  in fact, there's probably only two sections within stage 4 that need to be done in a particular way, but for the rest of the game there are tons of ways to take on each level.  and once you've developed your own preferred routes and can chain through a whole stage, you'll be able to recall those patterns and timings quite easily.  reminds me a lot of ikaruga :D

After all the training, when you start to make 500k points for enemy killed you really feel satistified :O