Akai Katana [Cave, ARCADE, August 19, 2010]

Started by EOJ, July 01, 2010, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphatic

Quote from: rtw on October 05, 2010, 06:31:42 AMI heard from one of my contacts that the distributor is returning all kits to CAVE at the end of this week.

By "the distributor", do you mean the new one, or AMI? If the latter, does this mean that CAVE will be sitting on all of the unsold kits AMI has been sitting on?  :oogle:

rtw

Quote from: emphatic on October 05, 2010, 06:41:34 AM
Quote from: rtw on October 05, 2010, 06:31:42 AMI heard from one of my contacts that the distributor is returning all kits to CAVE at the end of this week.

By "the distributor", do you mean the new one, or AMI? If the latter, does this mean that CAVE will be sitting on all of the unsold kits AMI has been sitting on?  :oogle:

I mean the new distributor
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

brentsg

Quote from: rtw on October 05, 2010, 06:31:42 AM
Who is the distributor for CAVE now that AMI is no more ? (webpage please)

I heard from one of my contacts that the distributor is returning all kits to CAVE at the end of this week.

New one is Annex but I'm not sure of a webpage.  That would explain how it went from new to sold out in 6 weeks.

Sounds like it's AK 1.5 time.

SuperPang

cstarflare

black labels are generally made for games that are popular in the first place, right? besides, cave pulling back existing copies sounds like they're trying to get the current version off the market, not getting ready to release what is essentially a separate game.

1.5 sounds more likely, it will piss fewer arcade owners off.

brentsg

It would be an unprecedented amount of time to see a Black Label.  Most have been significantly later, no?

njiska

You're right, it's usually at least a year before the label variant gets released, though if memory serves me correctly there wasn't a huge gap between DOJ and it's BL. I'd say a ver 1.5 is far more likely, but at the same time what would you change? It's been my understanding that the game isn't so much flawed as it is just not very popular.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

Lots of things could be changed/improved: scoring system, add more modes, add a second loop, etc.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

THE

The future is 2D

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on October 05, 2010, 02:40:25 PM
Lots of things could be changed/improved: scoring system, add more modes, add a second loop, etc.

..and Ninja Mode is replaced with Loli Mode.

Tesuman

Quote from: EOJ on October 05, 2010, 02:40:25 PM

A Progear setup (different fighter/ninja combinations), would be nice.

dorakyura

Having played this a couple of times here in Kyoto I must say I'm enjoying it very much ? then again, I consider myself an intermediate player at best, not a scorer in any way. Took me 2 rounds of playing or so and some watching other guys to better understand the mechanism but then it really started to work for me :righton:

As for its popularity: I get the impression that STG is not that big here in the first place. Maybe that's the reason AK was free most of the time (so was DFK and most other Cave shooters). At least yesterday (Saturday) the cab at A-Cho was constantly busy (then again, there was some KOF event there) ? the one at Namco Tower wasn't however.

In any case: Looking forward to a port =D

Geeb

I must remind: soundtrack official release soon. What's Umemoto doing here again?

EOJ

My score archive

brentsg

Still a strange situation here..  Kit not available 6 weeks after introduction, but tons of goods at the Matsuri including a signed cell.  Hmm..

HVL

Quote from: EOJ on October 14, 2010, 02:12:38 PM
You can listen to three tracks of the upcoming soundtrack here:

http://www.cave-shop.jp/fs/caveshop/fes_cd/cvog0018

The select track is pretty good, so is the boss track until the guitar kicks in. I'm still of the opinion that the OST is one of the worst CAVE soundtracks. It's a shame, it certainly has potential but it's all wasted.

Quote from: brentsg on October 14, 2010, 02:33:14 PM
Still a strange situation here..  Kit not available 6 weeks after introduction, but tons of goods at the Matsuri including a signed cell.  Hmm..

CAVE's new direction for making cash? :laugh:

skykid

Quote from: HVL on October 14, 2010, 02:44:01 PM
The select track is pretty good, so is the boss track until the guitar kicks in. I'm still of the opinion that the OST is one of the worst CAVE soundtracks. It's a shame, it certainly has potential but it's all wasted.

Humm, not sure about that. The Select track is great (shame we'll only hear it for about 3 seconds at a time) and I don't really dislike the Stage 1 and Boss snippets. Would have preferred something a little more feudal sounding considering it's all about swords (Guwange style with some big beats), but I can deal with the gay Daifukkatsu guitar synth.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

Eyedol

I can find only 3 numbers so far you guys might wanna hear so here they are.

05 Koiguchi (Stage 2).mp3 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/td3pmi
09 Setsuna (Last Boss).mp3 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qy5fgb
10 Hanaichige (Ending).mp3 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/7pnxhn

btw links are from Final Fantasy Shrine Forums

TonK

So, any news on anything?

Should I be seeking out a regular kit? Or are there rumors of a 1.5 or ?

EOJ

No 1.5 or BL news, and after the recent Cave meeting, I don't think either are forthcoming. Cave seems to be setting their sights on their new vertical arcade shooting game for 2011.

You can spend your money as you like, but I would not be looking for a kit right now. I'd wait a few months, when the prices will plummet. It's an unpopular game in Japan, and while some people like it, no one seems to think it's really great.
My score archive

Lunchbox

No arcades in Spain.

TonK

Quote from: EOJ on November 04, 2010, 11:24:25 PM
No 1.5 or BL news, and after the recent Cave meeting, I don't think either are forthcoming. Cave seems to be setting their sights on their new vertical arcade shooting game for 2011.

You can spend your money as you like, but I would not be looking for a kit right now. I'd wait a few months, when the prices will plummet. It's an unpopular game in Japan, and while some people like it, no one seems to think it's really great.

You think there is a supply issue?

brentsg

Allegedly the retailers returned their kits to Annex/Cave.  There was a steady trickle of kits on YAJ but that seemed to dry up.  Those went between 120,000 and 147,000 yen.  Nothing as of late, however.

ave

Why is it unpopular in Japan? I played it at a local shmup meet and thought it was quite good. Not my personal favourite of course, but I liked it more than Progear and Death Smiles. Apparently most Japanese players won't share my opinion concerning Death Smiles, but I thought all that stuff (steampunk, girls, mighty machinery) would have attracted a bigger audience. Or is it the game itself, is it too easy? The score system not providing enough room for strategies?
東亜プラン4ライフ

EOJ

Score system is limited - it seems the scores were maxed out early on, so players lost interest soon after. No extra modes or extra loop further contributes to the unpopularity game and the lack of players score-attacking it on a long-term basis. I'm sure it's fun to pick up and play, but these games live and die in the arcades by their long-term score-attacking potential.
My score archive

TonK

Quote from: EOJ on November 06, 2010, 10:13:28 PM
Score system is limited - it seems the scores were maxed out early on, so players lost interest soon after. No extra modes or extra loop further contributes to the unpopularity game and the lack of players score-attacking it on a long-term basis. I'm sure it's fun to pick up and play, but these games live and die in the arcades by their long-term score-attacking potential.

You think the boards will be "Ibara easy" to come by?

(in the near future?)

EOJ

Nah, they made a ton of Ibara PCBs, but it seems like they didn't print up many Akai Katana PCBs.

You should be able to find it if you want it, though it probably won't be Ibara cheap.
My score archive

ave

Why did they make so many Ibara PCB's? Wasn't the game rather unpopular compared to the predating SH3 games?
東亜プラン4ライフ

emphatic

Quote from: ave on November 07, 2010, 10:11:26 AM
Why did they make so many Ibara PCB's? Wasn't the game rather unpopular compared to the predating SH3 games?

Perhaps they thought it would become an instant cult classic as it tries to be like Garegga?

JOW

Got to play a few credits on this at r3play over the weekend (thanks to SuperPang for kindly loaning it to the event) and was really quite impressed.

I'm quite a Deathsmiles fan and this has a similar feel - probably down to the similar option control and excellent presentation. What it has that Deathsmiles doesn't have is much more interesting bullet patterns, making it feel a little more immediate - it's just a shame you don't necessarily have to dodge them  :P

Quote from: EOJ on November 06, 2010, 10:13:28 PM
Score system is limited - it seems the scores were maxed out early on, so players lost interest soon after.

This is a real shame - a missed opportunity. And considering the obvious effort that has gone into producing the game, it's surprising that Cave dropped the ball with most fundamental aspect of the game. Like many others though, I'll certainly pick up the port if it gets a release.