Author Topic: Cave is finished publishing arcade games  (Read 1880 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Ultra Member
Cave is finished publishing arcade games
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »
http://www.cave.co.jp/ir/archives/ir/pdf/2010/ir10051903.pdf

They say in the coming year they will "withdraw from the arcade direct sales market, and focus instead on the great profitability of (publishing in) the consumer (console) market."

I think DSII and a few of their medal games were the only ones they published/sold themselves. Guess it didn't work out for them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:18:59 AM by EOJ »
My score archive
twitter (JP only): cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline Ast-Kot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maniac Member
Re: Cave is leaving the arcade business
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:30:23 AM »
Thanks EOJ  although the bad new reported:-X Nobody saw it for over a month

I've read it for a report on arcade-extreme and they say that they will stop to undertake the direct selling of arcade games so I hope that maybe Cave willl keep alive a team for new games selling it using other channel as AMI.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:49:26 AM by Ast-Kot »
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

Offline GaijinPunch

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:18:39 AM »
I don't think that means they're pulling out of the arcade market.  They're just not doing direct sales.  This is probably a reflection of AMI going titsup and then getting a new publisher, and not selling the same style they did w/ DSII.  I guess it didn't make them as much as they though.  The game sucking massive ass for the first 3 releases probably didn't help either.  Their console ports aren't selling like gang busters.  Don't expect them to pull out of arcades full stop just yet.

ゲームセンター向けアーケードゲーム直販事業からの撤退を完了しており
直販 being the operative word here... and also 完了 meaning whatever the change is, it's already been done. 

Offline GaijinPunch

• Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »
The other thing worth noting is that this report is about 6 weeks old.  If they were truly bailing, I'm sure we'd have heard about it long before now.

Offline SuperPang

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ultra Member
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:43:05 AM »
I wonder if they regret investing in new hardware. Seeing a return on that lump of PC cack has to be an incentive to keep going. Its been a while since DSII so here's hoping they've got to grips with it. If not I honestly wouldn't mind that much if they pulled out. Call me a graphics whore if you like but I find it hard to get past the PSX graphics.

Offline antares

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »
If not I honestly wouldn't mind that much if they pulled out. Call me a graphics whore if you like but I find it hard to get past the PSX graphics.

Honestly, I don't think they could get better 3D graphics out of the X360 hardware. I'm afraid their original 360 game will also look like DSII if they decide to do it in 3D  :-\

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
Re: Cave is finished publishing arcade games
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications, Gaijinpunch. I've amended the topic title. Posted the original topic at 5am or so, jetlagged. Probably shouldn't do that again.
My score archive

Offline ave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »
Probably shouldn't do that again.

Not if you care for those of us with a heart condition, or who could get one from reading such headlines.
東亜プラン4ライフ

Offline brentsg

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
Ok I'm not sure I understand still.

Most recently everything was distributed by AMI or Annex but published by Cave?  So how will it change exactly?

Offline GaijinPunch

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:25 PM »
Most recently everything was distributed by AMI or Annex but published by Cave?  So how will it change exactly?

No...everything was publishesd by AMI and now Annex.  My guess is that DSII was published by Cave... and, that probably didn't do them so well, but that's just conjecture.  The first thing Cave ever published themselves was the ESPGaluda OST, I'm pretty sure... and then they basically just did their own merchandise, with other companies taking the risk of their games.

Basically distributor = publisher in this model.

Offline SuperPang

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ultra Member
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
I hope they ditch the rentals too, look how DS2s sale price has held. :o If they make a good game on this hardware we're boned :laugh:

(actually I have the 360 version and its not *that* bad, it just looks a dogs breakfast)

Offline Lusche

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
i dont care if they are making good games on the hardware ... it will be most likely portet pretty fast and a port is enough for me

(somehow i'm one of the very few who actually like DS2 and dont think that it looks like sh*t)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »
My guess is that DSII was published by Cave... and, that probably didn't do them so well, but that's just conjecture.  

Yep, Cave's DSII Arcade page says it was "developed and published by Cave". AMI/Annex were not involved.
My score archive