Dangun Feveron [M2, PS4/XB1 2018]

Started by EOJ, August 14, 2010, 03:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Port of this by M2 announced, platform unknown!

UPDATE: Originally planned as an XBLA game, that was shelved, and it later re-emerged as a game for the PS4 and XB1.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Monouchi

By M2..  *bows*

Tricky to not announce the platform, maybe a iPhone ver?

Lusche

nah i dont think it will be a phone version ...
i think its for 360 ... maybe disc or xbla release, but i could be totaly wrong

njiska

M2 = Win. Their port of Mushi Futari is one of my most played 360 titles.

As for the platform I'd venture a guess that's it's probably going to be XBLA based on the fact that Feveron is a 1st gen hardware release and it tends to have less of a following then say, Guwange which is also going to XBLA.

It's really nice to see Cave is going back this far with it's ports, maybe we'll get lucky and finally see a Uo Poko and Mushihimetama combo release.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

brentsg

cstarflare

Odd that they'd give something like Dangun to M2 instead of having them handle something more recent. Not that Dangun isn't worth M2's time, but I'd personally rather their quality be invested in DFK or the MMP/PS combo.

ookitarepanda

Quote from: cstarflare on August 14, 2010, 12:01:48 PM
Odd that they'd give something like Dangun to M2 instead of having them handle something more recent. Not that Dangun isn't worth M2's time, but I'd personally rather their quality be invested in DFK or the MMP/PS combo.

Definitely agreed, especially since Dangun is the only one of this recent batch of to-be-ported games that has been emulated through MAME. I'm sure a lot of touch-ups could be done for that emulation, but as is, lots of people already have access to it and M2 could do a great job elsewhere.

EOJ

Asada discusses this a bit in his latest blog post:

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/08/post-21b5.html

He says the game is a test case for a (new) business model, and right now they are exploring different ways to sell it. He hopes to get it in our hands one way or another.

This really does not sound like it's being made for XBLA. It was running on a PC during the demo, so maybe they're exploring services like Steam? Or perhaps PSN?
My score archive

neomoe

I agree, an xbla seems unlikely given that porting Guwange was not an easy process for them.  I feel it will most likely be another iphone game. 

Or perhaps a DS game? :)

gsl

Wii, potentially?  I know M2 has had a hand in lot of the Virtual Console releases.

bcass

M2 did Gradius ReBirth for WiiWare.  Might be nice to have it on a machine that can do true low-res but things like Leaderboards are far better handled on Xbox Live.

charlienash87

I think this would be pretty sweet on the DS as long as it's the full game, and there's leaderboards. lunch hour at work would be stellar again
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

GaijinPunch

Quote from: bcass on August 15, 2010, 02:21:21 PM
M2 did Gradius ReBirth for WiiWare.  Might be nice to have it on a machine that can do true low-res but things like Leaderboards are far better handled on Xbox Live.

I doubt Cave is interested in putting anything out on the PS2 at this point.

bcass

Doesn't the Wii do 240?  I thought it did given how shitty almost everything looks on it.  Oh well, scrap that idea then.

EOJ

Yes the Wii does true 240p, but no RGB output except in Europe. Stupid Nintendo.

Anyway, I doubt this is for the Wii. Cave wants to make money, after all.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Yeah, I remember reading that it in fact does do RGB in Europe, and might even do 240p for S-Video in the NTSC regions, but what's the point there, right? I'd say there's about a 50/50 shot that it's only available for VC games too, but that's pure speculation.  Daijoubu made an informative post about it at gamengai ages ago (when the Wii first came out).  I think basically it detects your output (15khz or 31khz) and adjusts accordingly. :whyioughtta:

EOJ

It does 240p in every region, but yeah, just VC stuff (not all of it - a lot of the pc engine games are interlaced 480i for some stupid reason). It looks really good through component (not quite RGB nice, but pretty close. Sharp scanlines).
My score archive

Square King

Quote from: EOJ on August 15, 2010, 03:18:18 AM
This really does not sound like it's being made for XBLA. It was running on a PC during the demo, so maybe they're exploring services like Steam? Or perhaps PSN?

This would be incredible. I'd buy a few copies and hand 'em out to friends.  =D

charlienash87

any new news about this in the last year that forgot to be mentioned?
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

EOJ

This is the last update:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1306.0

"Dangun Feveron hasn't been released due to problems with marketing (not anything related to Microsoft). Asada's not sure it will come out. They were thinking XBLA, but then Asada keeps talking about how it might be better on a Smartphone, like the iphone."
My score archive

bcass

Given how their only two XBLA releases seem to have bombed, I'm not surprised there's little enthusiasm to release it on that service anymore.  A shame, as I think Feveron has more commercial appeal than Guwange.

Aliquantic

Indeed, I've just looked at the XBLA list sorted by download frequency, and both Guwange and Nin-Jump came up at around 270 out of 370, well below every other STG, even 1942 or R-Type Dimensions :(

lam47

TimingTripod40

Quote from: Aliquantic on August 06, 2011, 12:07:15 PM
Indeed, I've just looked at the XBLA list sorted by download frequency, and both Guwange and Nin-Jump came up at around 270 out of 370, well below every other STG, even 1942 or R-Type Dimensions :(
Wow. That's really sad.

bcass

It was obvious it had bombed when it completely disappeared from the XBLA chart 1 week after release.  It was so obviously the wrong game to premiere on the service.

brentsg

Quote from: bcass on August 09, 2011, 12:22:36 AM
It was obvious it had bombed when it completely disappeared from the XBLA chart 1 week after release.  It was so obviously the wrong game to premiere on the service.

I definitely agree it was the wrong debut game.  Even a lot of Cave fans probably passed on it.

bcass

The reason they went with it is because it came top of that Japanese XBLA survey they did (last year IIRC), little realising that by far the biggest XBLA market is outside Japan.  It probably didn't help that it was a rush job either (crappy screen options, even post patch, no initials entry and no proper local high score table).

pestilence

Can you adjust the screen size at all?

I tried the trial version, and in that you couldn't.

bcass

Yes, you can, but there are limitations depending on what type of TV you're using.  For example, on a 16:9 CRT, selecting Wide Mode to On does not remove the black borders at the top/bottom of the screen.  Not a problem if your TV has a Zoom option, otherwise you're shafted.

I just remembered too that there's a stupid bug on the friends leaderboard in the dash which means that the scores are listed in reverse order.  Cave were notified about this via their Twitter page, acknowledged receipt, but chose to ignore it.

antares

Guwange is still in the Top Downloads and also Top Rated games on the japanese XBox marketplace so at least it didn't bomb there.