Main Menu

Cave Wiki

Started by bcass, November 24, 2009, 05:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcass

Has anyone considered putting a wiki together for Cave games?  Would make a perfect one-stop reference point for all the various strategies, rules, etc.  I know we have the Strategy section on the forum, but not all games are covered and it's a bit much having to read through whole threads as everything is rarely in the first post/page.  Would serve as a great resource for potential new-comers (the number of which is likely to increase given the number of Cave titles being released on the 360) and such a resource would be a great reference for those of us who have forgotten or have holes in our knowledge.

cstarflare

Why not just focus on building healthy cave articles on a preexisting shmup wiki poject instead of making a separate site

Especially since information will just get copied from one site to the next anyway, if not entire articles

Either way, this would be a great alternative to having random information strung out between multiple posts in multiple threads in multiple forums for all kinds of information, strategy included.

bcass

I didn't know about the shmups wiki.  Sure, that's probably the best place to get all this info.  Trawling through 50+ page threads for scraps of info is a total nightmare.  There are just too many Cave shmups knocking about now to be able to memorise absolutely every single strategy, rule, trick, etc.

EOJ

If you want to learn about the strategies, tricks, and rules for Cave games, just visit the strategy forum here. Lots of info condensed in small threads without much filler.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

bcass

Yeah, they're a good start, but not all games are covered though.  Also, I noticed that some games have already spilled into different threads.

EOJ

Yeah, for the older games (most stuff pre-SH3), shmups.com has the best info archived, but it can be hard to sift through the threads there as some are rather large.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

moozooh

Wiki allows much better navigation and easy formatting of the information, with tables, illustrations, cross-linking and other features built-in. Factual errors can easily be corrected by anyone in the know. The strategy threads, while having all or most of this info already, don't allow any of such luxury.

I have been maintaining a lot of gameplay-related articles on the Touhou wiki, so I can say from my experience this is a really good idea. The downside is that it requires a lot of time to maintain.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

bcass

Yeah, it's some effort, but the additional facilities offered by the wiki format make it much more suited to this kind of thing.

Geeb

I had planned on doing this a while ago but I never got around to actually working on it

The fragments are over at http://cave-stg.wikia.com if anyone wants to make something out of it. Most of the info there was based off a few edits I made on some CAVE Wikipedia pages a while back, and I've more or less abandoned it so it's certainly not current (Jacob Poon, you fiend)

Maybe picking Wikia was a bad idea, maybe