Main Menu

Recent posts

CAVE Games / Re: Mushihimesama Futari Black...
Last post by slateman - September 12, 2023, 06:10:28 AM
The code does work on MFBL AV, BTW. 
CAVE Games / Re: The Joys of Aging
Last post by EOJ - September 08, 2023, 09:38:28 PM
Topic split (from the DOJ thread) in case anyone else wants to discuss the "joys of aging".  :laugh:
Last post by slateman - September 08, 2023, 08:42:48 PM
At 47, my near eyesight is getting bad.  I generally stopped playing all handhelds, but since introducing reading glasses, I've found shmups on the Switch are actually quite enjoyable.  I'm in some ways doing better than I have in many years.  Not sure how my reactions will be compared to my heyday of DOJ (PS2 era, 2003-2005), but I cannot wait to find out. 
Last post by EOJ - September 08, 2023, 06:57:27 AM
I still play my CAVE faves (on consoles) when the mood strikes.  :righton:
_
Last post by _rm_ - September 08, 2023, 04:11:40 AM
Quote from: EOJ on September 05, 2023, 06:03:22 PM
I will turn 44 soon and in recent years I have been finding it harder and harder to play with an arcade joystick. If I play "hardcore for score" I tend to get tension headaches (through the muscles in my neck, apparently) that can last for days or even weeks, and sore muscles in my wrists, hands, and chest. Probably the early stages of arthritis. I don't (yet) have these issues when I play with a pad (thank goodness), other than getting sore hands if I play for more than a few hours in a day, so I think I'll eventually just play with a pad.

This is one of the main reasons why I recently sold off all my CAVE PCBs...

Sad to hear. Just hope you can keep enjoying (not important how) these awesome games.

Cheers
Other Games / Re: Sea of Stars (2023 RPG, Mu...
Last post by EOJ - September 07, 2023, 08:54:35 PM
I finished it today, took me about 24 hours. Really enjoyable from start to finish, and the story is great and full of surprises.

The Switch version struggles with the framerate in some spots, such as Docarri Village and late-game stuff. Gets pretty choppy. I wonder if it is smooth on the PS5/XBX?

Pro-tip for the credit roll: hold A to fast-forward (or A+R to go "ultra" fast). For some reason they decided to list all of the kickstarter backer names, which would probably take 10-15 min to go through without the fast-forward. There is no indication on the screen that you can fast-forward, I just found out by pressing all the buttons in frustration.
CAVE Games / The Joys of Aging
Last post by EOJ - September 05, 2023, 06:03:22 PM
I will turn 44 soon and in recent years I have been finding it harder and harder to play with an arcade joystick. If I play "hardcore for score" I tend to get tension headaches (through the muscles in my neck, apparently) that can last for days or even weeks, and sore muscles in my wrists, hands, and chest. Probably the early stages of arthritis. I don't (yet) have these issues when I play with a pad (thank goodness), other than getting sore hands if I play for more than a few hours in a day, so I think I'll eventually just play with a pad.

This is one of the main reasons why I recently sold off all my CAVE PCBs...
CAVE Games / Re: Dodonpachi Daioujou Rinne ...
Last post by brentsg - September 05, 2023, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: EOJ on September 05, 2023, 12:57:48 AM
I don't think I'll buy this one as I have no desire to play DOJ ever again. But I'm sure it'll be great. I'm hoping a new SDOJ home port follows in 2024, maybe by City Connection. Their Akai Katana and DS/DSMBL ports are great.

By the time a new Ibara port appears I'll probably be too old to play these games. :laugh:

I think I'm already too old to play them, but honestly I don't get around to it much anymore anyways.  Last year I made it a point to platinum all the Fromsoft games ahead of Elden Ring, just to prove that my old man body could still do stuff.
Other Games / Sea of Stars (2023 RPG, Multip...
Last post by EOJ - September 05, 2023, 02:26:21 AM
I bought this last week on release day (I went for the Switch version) and I'm really enjoying it. Played about 13 hours so far. It has really high-quality Neo-Geo-ish graphics, but with Chrono Trigger-type gameplay. Great music too. One of the best games I've played this year, so definitely check it out if you like turn-based RPGs.

https://sabotagestudio.com/presskits/sea-of-stars/
CAVE Games / Re: Dodonpachi Daioujou Rinne ...
Last post by EOJ - September 05, 2023, 12:57:48 AM
I don't think I'll buy this one as I have no desire to play DOJ ever again. But I'm sure it'll be great. I'm hoping a new SDOJ home port follows in 2024, maybe by City Connection. Their Akai Katana and DS/DSMBL ports are great.

By the time a new Ibara port appears I'll probably be too old to play these games. :laugh: