Mortal Kombat 9 [PS3/X360 April 19, 2011]

Started by EOJ, April 10, 2011, 09:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I'm so excited to get this game. I've played the demo a bunch, and it's great. MKII is my all-time favorite fighting game, and this is close enough to be the first MK in over 15 years that I'm really excited about.

I'll be playing on PSN, as I always play MK fighters better on a pad, and the PS3's d-pad destroys the X360's d-pad. Anyone else getting this on its release of April 19th?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Shalashaska

I'm more of a SF fan than MK but still greatly looking forward to this release. The last MK I played was Ultimate MK 3 so it's been a while.

Muchi Muchi Spork

I'm also more of a SF guy but this game looks great. I'll pick it up used when I get around to buying a J360.

supabok

I'm stoked for this one as well!! haven't been able to try the demo cuz i've only got a japanese 360!

i thought I wouldn't be able to get it here in Japan but finally caved in and pre-ordered it on play-asia and got the asian version!
The combo system looks quite good (and not button mashing)!

Looks to bring back the MKII fighting system. Love that you can do some of the old combos from MKII!!

EOJ

My score archive

supabok

Quote from: EOJ on April 12, 2011, 08:02:16 PM
This neogaf thread has a huge amount of info in the first 20 some posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427112

nice find! thx for that!!

the gameplay stream from that thread is quite revealing!
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13955286

EOJ

My score archive

supabok

Quote from: EOJ on April 14, 2011, 04:11:48 AM
This looks really cool:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/04/13/mortal-kombat-king-of-the-hill-trailer?show=HD
wow that is pretty sweet!!
so many nice additions in this game!

And just found out, includes Babalities!!

drunkninja

Picked this up today.  Great game, seems to flow much better than the demo.  My only problem right now is finding a button layout I like on my stick.

EOJ

Yeah, I just picked it up at Best Buy this morning. I'll give it a whirl later this afternoon.
My score archive

EOJ

I played this a lot yesterday, and it's good fun. It feels a little clunky to me, not quite as tight as Mortal Kombat II, but maybe as time goes on this will become less of an issue. The story mode is really excellent, and all the many different modes and challenges make this a superb single-player experience. The few online matches I've been able to have had some noticeable lag, and I've had the game freeze a few times in the online mode as well. Their netcode doesn't seem to be too good. Maybe it's better on Xbox Live?
My score archive

drunkninja

Yeah, online is a bit sporadic for me on XBL. If I go into lobbies and find matches, it's not too bad, but I haven't had any matches in ranked that weren't laggy.

As far as the game itself, it felt clunky to me at first as well, but now that I'm figuring out how combos flow, it's working out much better.  The only issue I have is that I need to really train myself to use the block button.  Years of non-MK fighters have trained me to play a totally different way than you should in MK.  The system highly encourages and rewards aggressive play.

My only beef with the game right now is that there doesn't seem to be alternate colors for the characters (there's a few alternate costumes though), so if you aren't paying attention, it can be possible to lose track of which character you are in a mirror match.

drunkninja

Btw, if anyone wants to check it out: I ran a stream of me playing through a bit of story mode last night, just click the "mk" video on my channel here:

http://www.livestream.com/dngames

Obviously it's gonna spoil the story for you if you watch it, so if you care about that, avoid.  Also, I'm gonna try to do it live again tonight around midnight CDT or so.

EOJ

I finished story mode last night. Really, really great. Especially if you played the original arcade games back in the day.

My score archive

drunkninja

Finally completed story mode (as you'll see on my livestream page), good effing god, that last fight was pissing me off so much until I discovered the teleport-sweep tactic, and even then, it took a while because 2 hits from Shao Kahn is like a goddamn freight train.

EOJ

Yeah, I discovered the teleport->sweep trick after a few goes at him. Piece o'cake.  :righton:
My score archive

lam47

I'm a big fighting game fan and prefer SNK fighters to SF or anything else. I never really got into Mortal Kombat back in the day. This one however is a lot of fun! I still don't think it has what a tournament fighter needs but it's the best Mortal Kombat I have played.
Now where is my KOF XIII port?