Akai Katana [Cave, ARCADE, August 19, 2010]

Started by EOJ, July 01, 2010, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

Lunchbox

But, seriously, is that swimmer part of the game or just a joke?  :P
No arcades in Spain.

EOJ

That's a Jitterbug demo the programmers messed around with when making DSIIX. It has nothing to do with this game.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

retre

Quote from: EOJ on July 16, 2010, 02:58:50 PM
That's a Jitterbug demo the programmers messed around with when making DSIIX. It has nothing to do with this game.

Thanks to god! That character was too much Choaniki style.

Anyway, I like the character design, more similar to old DDP or Ketsui.

MX7

Art direction reminds me more of a G.Rev game than a Cave game. Interesting! Really interested in seeing what the game ends up looking like. And with the way things are going, I might even get to play it at home one day  =D

Lunchbox

No arcades in Spain.

antares

*crosses fingers that they outsorced the graphics engine to G.Rev IF this game will have 3D graphics (I know this is very unlikely but I don't want another technical disaster)

SuperPang

Kewing

Quote from: EOJ on July 01, 2010, 03:35:21 AM
UPDATE (7/15/2010): The title is Akai Katana. Official page:

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/akaikatana/

Location test at HEY from July 23-26. Release in August.

Yes. F*ck yes. This is more like it.
Aside from also being in the "I want this to be 2D", if this is supposed to be a spiritual Progear sequel, I do hope it has a different scoring system; I could never get too much into the original because of it.

Also I wonder who'll be in charge of music: Namiki being the main guy(unlikely), the Basiscape team (high likely), or maybe an external composer (who knows, another IBARA-like ost by Hosoe would be awesome).

So far I'm feeling quite positive about this,if truely feels as a genuine attempt at coming up with a new and "serious" franchise. Looking forward to more details.

charlienash87

the character designs look really good, especially when compared to all the loli crap lately. these characters actually look kinda dope like the ones in ketsui. let's hope there's someone who can rival Alice Blackbarn in badassness, if that's even possible :cool:
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Kewing

Speaking of character designs, who's the character designer? Does anybody know? I really like his/her style, it has quite a "Odin Sphere" vibe to it.

lillin

Quote from: Kewing on July 18, 2010, 06:06:34 PM
Speaking of character designs, who's the character designer? Does anybody know? I really like his/her style, it has quite a "Odin Sphere" vibe to it.
Odin Sphere was much more cuter in design imho.
But i have to agree that the artstyle is spot on, it looks as this will be a more serious game in terms of setting/ story.
No panties showing in the first trailer and pics must mean something more serious, right?  =D

emphatic

It would be really cool if the "VanillaWare" logo would pop up in the next clip we're shown.

emphatic

markedkiller78

Jamma, 15k and 198,000y.

Sh3 by the sounds of things?

SuperPang

Well I never, quitting the publishing really did mean quitting that hardware too, for now at least. DS2 must have been costly!

I wasn't expecting this. A military shooter with 2D graphics, I couldn't be happier. 15KHz 4 eva!!!1

kernow

Chi_Ryu

Ah yeah, looks rather reminiscent of Progear :D

Quote from: markedkiller78 on July 20, 2010, 08:13:43 AMSh3 by the sounds of things?

It'd be nice if they upgraded the hardware a bit (COUGH C'MON PUT IN STEREO AUDIO OUT ALREADY), DeathSmiles MBL and DDP DFK were straining the hardware a bit much as it was... but I guess the odds are good that they'll just run with SH3 again (would expect they've got a stock of boards, so would make sense).
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

ookitarepanda

Looks pretty cool! Is anyone here going to the location testing? Maybe I missed that in the thread...

rtw

Quote from: SuperPang on July 20, 2010, 08:18:18 AM
Well I never, quitting the publishing really did mean quitting that hardware too, for now at least. DS2 must have been costly!

What do you mean by "quitting the publishing" ?
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

Chi_Ryu

Quote from: rtw on July 20, 2010, 12:23:16 PMWhat do you mean by "quitting the publishing" ?

DeathSmiles II was self-published by Cave.

Who's publishing this one?  Is it Annex, or someone else?
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

Monouchi

2D!!!    =D
That is so awesome...now Im really hyped for this game.

EOJ

Looks interesting, but let's not jump the gun thinking 15khz = SH3. It could be some other hardware entirely.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Kaneda

Quote from: ookitarepanda on July 20, 2010, 12:06:51 PM
Looks pretty cool! Is anyone here going to the location testing? Maybe I missed that in the thread...

I'm going to try to go on Friday.

I wish the game were getting released a little earlier since I have the month off, but I should still have plenty of time to get excited, play, hit a wall, get bored of it, and see the master players find the bugs that require a version 1.5.

JOW

=D Fokkin awesome

Be interesting to see what approach they take to making this 'accessible' as per recent games.

GaijinPunch

I might go out there Friday.  
Kaneda -- any desire to mosey to Shinjuku later in the evening and check out Inception?  Not sure what your threshold is for crashing in internet cafes & shit.

EDIT: scratch that.  I'm going to the water gun fight at midnight on Friday.

charlienash87

can't wait to see this in motion. the screen shots looked super sweet

very curious to what the score mechanic will be in this one...i know cave won't disappoint, not with how much time they've put into this.
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

brentsg

Quote from: GaijinPunch on July 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM
Kaneda -- any desire to mosey to Shinjuku later in the evening and check out Inception?  Not sure what your threshold is for crashing in internet cafes & shit.

People in the West would give a nut to go check this out.  But you are going to a water gun fight?

Kaneda

Quote from: GaijinPunch on July 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM

I'll be at HEY from about 6:30-8:00 if you decide to drop in. Usually the queue isn't too bad Friday night compared to the loke tests on the weekends but we'll see...