Super Action Online [Cave 2010, PC]

Started by EOJ, May 18, 2010, 04:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Hi res 2D action game. Said to be in the style of "games from the 80s and 90s".

http://superaction.jp/

Movie & screenshots:

http://superaction.jp/download/#movie

Looks slick.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Elixir

Did Cave develop this, or are they just publishing it?

GaijinPunch

emphatic

This is weird. Kinda looks like 3 Wonders, but I think those objects at the bottom of the screen looks a little meh. On the other hand, if you have to collect gold to power up ? la Black Tiger, it would be kinda awesome if you keep your weapons when you die.

Elixir

Quote from: emphatic on May 18, 2010, 04:35:12 AM
This is weird. Kinda looks like 3 Wonders, but I think those objects at the bottom of the screen looks a little meh. On the other hand, if you have to collect gold to power up ? la Black Tiger, it would be kinda awesome if you keep your weapons when you die.

If it's anything like Three Wonders, I am so sold. Unfortunately all I see is a Korean MapleStory clone.

brentsg

PC?  Eh no thanks. 

Game looks nifty though.

Kaneda

My feelings on this went from "2d action kickass!" to "PC..." to "there's like 30 icons on the screen". Not a fan of the art design either and high-res 2d still looks off to me in most cases, this being one of them.

But certainly better than nearly every other non-shooter game Cave has put out, so it's a step in the right direction.

Edit: I thought I was using hyperbole with the 30 icons on screen...but no, there's 30 icons on the screen, wtf.

Van_Artic

uuhm... this doesn't look right, i was hoping for a real 2D hi-res fighting game

Monouchi

2D is the right direction. Looks nice.  :righton:

ookitarepanda

Quote from: Kaneda on May 18, 2010, 06:51:04 AMEdit: I thought I was using hyperbole with the 30 icons on screen...but no, there's 30 icons on the screen, wtf.

I guess they caught the MMO bug where you have to have your entire keyboard of button shortcuts to do things. Also, since when do you need that many hotkeys in a game that's supposed to be a beat 'em up?

And I'm not too sure about the art style. The sprites of the characters look good, but the backgrounds look like a Worms game.

moozooh

Hmm, judging from the promotion movie, this looks like it needs way more work.

First of all, it's obviously designed to look and play like a 16-bit game. It may work out great if they manage to keep the graphic design and gameplay on par with the best representatives of the era ? Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Vectorman, Sparkster. But so far it looks much slower, less fluid, and less lively in every aspect.

But if it is a work-in-progress, I am very eager to see what they will be able to do with it.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

EOJ

I'm not sure if Cave developed this or not. The site says the game is based on an operation license from LivePlex. This could either mean LivePlex (a Korean company) developed it and Cave is just publishing it in Japan, or Cave licensed LivePlex's game engine and developed a game around it, similar to how companies license the Unreal 3 Engine to make games.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Somewhere a Korean guy will play this until he dies.

Jockel

Quote from: brentsg on May 18, 2010, 05:50:54 PM
Somewhere a Korean guy will play this until he dies.
Most likely in Korea.

GaijinPunch

Quote from: Van_Artic on May 18, 2010, 07:14:40 AM
uuhm... this doesn't look right, i was hoping for a real 2D hi-res fighting game

Why?

Van_Artic

i don't really like MMO beat em ups, it's just that

NR777

The word "online" in the title immediately squashed any interest I might have had in it.  I guess it's ok for people who are into that sort of thing, but I'm not a fan of MMO anything.

Dale

And the award for worst placed loading bar ever goes to...

Doesn't look that interesting but I like the music.

bucklemyshoe