Main Menu

Dragon Quest IX [DS]

Started by EOJ, June 16, 2009, 05:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I'm pretty excited for this game (loved DQ8). New trailer released today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ix3RImpXHI

Less than a month until release day.  :)
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

markedkiller78

It looks fantastic for a DS game, but it's a long wait before i get to play it :(

I hope they release a ltd edition DSL / DSi pack, I'll be all over it

EOJ

Too bad they didn't put this on a console. Even the Wii. Though I would have been pretty happy with a PSP version as well.
My score archive

EOJ

There is only one save slot in this game. WTF.  :-\

http://sp-game.cocolog-nifty.com/38/2009/06/post-dd76.html

I like having at least 2, so I can use one as a "safety save". Like before I go out on some risky quest.
Anyway this also sucks as you can't share one cart within a household.
My score archive

adverse

Game gets lamer and lamer.  I'm burnt out on RPGs hardcore so I have no motivation to play this, but what they're doing here is trying to force households to buy more copies so that each kid can have one.  Sad, but indicative of the real crisis SE finds itself in after producing so many remakes and lemons.

EOJ

I'll still buy it. I love DQ games. They're pretty much the only RPGs I can stand anymore. New gen rpgs are pretty much all crap, IMO.
My score archive

Kaneda

Over 2.3 million sold in two days. A perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu.

This must be a hell of a game.

EOJ

Bleh. I've played this a good deal now, and it's really not that great. Nowhere near previous DQ games. There's a ton of stuff I don't like, and very little that I do like. Story is meh, graphics suck.

This is a pretty big letdown for me, as I was really looking forward to it.
My score archive

Megalixir

Quote from: Kaneda on July 15, 2009, 08:41:30 AMA perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu.

Are you for real? This managed to get a 40 from Famitsu? Man, they're not even trying to make sense any more.

Edit: I just hit up the rankings. Apparently they rated Death Smiles a 29 and Shooting Love 200X... a 29. Shooting Love is neat, but seriously, it's nowhere near Death Smiles. My bullshit detector is screaming its guts out right now.

adverse

40/40 from Famitsu and 2.3 mil in two days is all game industry hype and is possible because it's a DQ game, on the DS.  However the user reaction to the game, at least on the gaming blogs I read, has been pretty rough.  I almost picked it up from hype alone but the save slot issue and Sugiyama's weird historical revionist politics were enough to turn me off.

EOJ

As I've posted elsewhere, "it's a good RPG, it's just not a good Dragon Quest".
My score archive

EOJ

I'm warming up to this game a bit. I still don't like the graphics, but it's fun enough that it keeps drawing me back for more.
My score archive

EOJ

I finally finished this the other day. I clocked over 46 hours on it. After the 20 hour mark it really sucked me in.

The difficulty curve is a little weird. Nearly the whole game is pretty easy until the last boss, which is ridiculously hard unless you are a certain class, and/or at 45+ level for all 4 characters. I spent like 5 hours just building up my characters at the end to be able to take down the last boss. Lame.

Regardless, it's a good, fun game, and I'm glad I spent the time to complete it. It's not as good as the DS version of DQV (not even close), so if you can only choose one, play V. That game is incredible.
My score archive