Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra [JP X360] - Patch is out!

Started by EOJ, November 14, 2008, 06:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

As I said, BL is a pretty accurate port. There are long initial loads (be sure to install the game to a hdd - it reduces the loads by a significant amount (they're still too long though)), the replays don't work right, and the menu system isn't very intuitive (or even very responsive all the time), but if you're just looking to play BL, this port is acceptable. Better than the Ibara port in terms of accuracy.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

necpmf

Quoteif you're just looking to play BL, this port is acceptable.
Well that's good. Hopefully the other crap doesn't drive me nuts. Looking forward to more news about the patch. Honestly I don't understand how a company can manage to mess up the menus. How hard can it be to design a logical menu!?

GaijinPunch

QuoteAs I said, BL is a pretty accurate port.

How familiar are you w/ the PCB...specifically, the chaining?  A couple of frames is an eternity in this game.  I recall reading about parts being fucked, which IMHO kills it.

EOJ

I haven't heard of anyone not being able to do a combo in the port that they can do on the PCB. If some combo(s) are impossible on the port, I'd like to know.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Quote from: EOJ on May 24, 2009, 01:31:13 PM
I haven't heard of anyone not being able to do a combo in the port that they can do on the PCB. If some combo(s) are impossible on the port, I'd like to know.

I'm pretty sure I read it on your bug list at one point.

I've not played the port, as X-mode doesn't look appealing to me, but based on the list of bugs, I think it's pretty clear that DS was way more finished at release, even though some of it's bugs particularly suck.  As for MBL inaccuracy... well... it's DLC.  I'm sure that's the attitude taken by Cave as well, unfortunately.

EOJ

You'd probably like Xmode. Reminds me of DS's ver 1.1 in some respects - easier than the regular game (until the last boss) with lots of bullet cancelling, rapid hyper in/out transitions, big multipliers, and big scores. SIN (Espgaluda arrange WR holder) scored over 100bil on the game (for reference, my best is about 20bil) and seems to really love it.

I'll have to check the bug list thing. I looked before, and only noticed minor details for the actual BL port. No mention of any chain breaking feature in the levels not found in the PCB. It would be good if someone like you, who has experience scoring on the PCB version, could give some impressions on the accuracy of the port.
My score archive

Joe T.

So... I've hardly played this since I bought it.  Am I tardo because I don't know how to unlock X-mode????

This is simply one of those games that I've never gotten into (Black label or Original) so maybe the X-mode will be a change of perspective for me.

EOJ

Gotta log 6 hours into the game to unlock X-Mode (dumb, I know). I'm not a big fan of Original or BL either (though I'm warming up to BL), but X-Mode is fun right out the gate.
My score archive

Joe T.

I see.  Thanks! 

Yes, Black Label seems a bit less tedious to me but I'm afraid I must admit it's going to be a while before I have played six hours worth of this game.  :laugh: 

GaijinPunch

QuoteIt would be good if someone like you, who has experience scoring on the PCB version, could give some impressions on the accuracy of the port.

I think you're grossly misinformed about my chaining abilities in said game.  I might grab it at some point, but I'm on a shooting hiatus for a bit.   I want to kick back and enjoy some stuff that doesn't wreak havoc on my nerves.

I'm also trying to leave my monitor in yoko for a while.  I have a ton of console shit I've yet to touch, and want to.

Megalixir

As this isn't mentioned here: There's a Hibachi gamerpic in this game which unlocks after you've 1cc'd a 1-round game and gotten all bees.

But this can be done in No Bullet mode, so it isn't as hard as it sounds.

rtw

Quote from: Megalixir on May 25, 2009, 06:22:19 AM
As this isn't mentioned here: There's a Hibachi gamerpic in this game which unlocks after you've 1cc'd a 1-round game and gotten all bees.

Is this image embedded in the ISO or just as DLC ?
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

Megalixir

It's a secret gamerpic, so, all copies of the game have it. It just needs unlocking, like the N+ one or Geckko Froggy one in Chaos;Head. Some games also come with free gamerpics like Puzzle Quest and Triggerheart Exelica.

EOJ

Seems 5pb's DDPDOJBLEX was actually developed by Aqua Systems (developer of little known trash such as PetitCopter and Radio Helicopter II), but they illegally used the source code from Arika's PS2 DOJ port. This will lead to them needing to pay damages to Arika and Cave. Full article detailing this at gpara:

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=14328&c_num=14

This is obviously why shipments of the game were stopped months ago. A patch/update is still forthcoming, regardless, according to 5pb. Ketsui is still also scheduled to be released.
My score archive

zakk

Do they actually refer to it as 'source code', or is the implication that they took a disassembler to the PS2 binary and used it as a 'reference'?

Because I'm sort of at a loss as to how some random company had access to the actual source.

I'm also scratching my head as to how that didn't turn out to be more work, but who knows at this point.

Quote from: EOJ on June 19, 2009, 06:08:46 PM
Seems 5pb's DDPDOJBLEX was actually developed by Aqua Systems (developer of little known trash such as PetitCopter and Radio Helicopter II), but they illegally used the source code from Arika's PS2 DOJ port. This will lead to them needing to pay damages to Arika and Cave. Full article detailing this at gpara:

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=14328&c_num=14

This is obviously why shipments of the game were stopped months ago. A patch/update is still forthcoming, regardless, according to 5pb. Ketsui is still also scheduled to be released.

EOJ

The article says "they reproduced the source code without permission".
My score archive

EOJ

There's an extensive apology posted on 5pb's front page:

http://5pb.jp/games/

Other than what we already know, they say they will pay reparations to Arika and Cave, and will work hard to release a patch soon. The patch was apparently delayed due to all of this drama and the legal stuff involved therein. It also seems like they will re-release the game again, this time with a whole new source code (one coded from the PCB). It seems clear that Aqua Systems got the boot in porting duties (and may have to pay out the ass to fix this).
My score archive

EOJ

Mihara made a long post about this, and he reveals some really interesting stuff.

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/mihara.cgi?day=20090620

Most of it translated here, by me. The biggest news is:

The revised version of DOJBLEX will be done by Mihara!
My score archive

zakk

This is absolutely the strangest path to getting (what will likely be) two high quality ports on a console. This is just outright nuts.

adverse

::Looks at watch::

Hey, weren't we wondering when DOJBLEX and Ketsui would be out this time last year? 

Werkom to plogless.

Shalashaska

Quote from: EOJ on June 20, 2009, 05:21:38 AM
The revised version of DOJBLEX will be done by Mihara!

So maybe this whole thing will turn out to be a great blessing in disguise....well except for 5pb.

EOJ

Agreed. 10 bucks says Mihara will add a scanline option to the BLEX port. He's the biggest 240p supporter out there.
My score archive

EOJ

Mihara posted an update on the patch. He says it's coming by the end of the year, and will fix 27 bugs. There will also be a "complete" version as DLC. As it will be DLC, you'll need the original disc to buy and play it. There is no mention of a re-released "complete" or "bugfixed" version in disc form so it doesn't look like that's going to happen. If you don't have the game already I'd buy it before the price skyrockets.
My score archive

antares

I wonder what the difference between the patched version and the complete version will be?

I just wish he also added scanlines, but probably not :(

Lunchbox

No arcades in Spain.

HVL

Quote from: antares on November 09, 2009, 04:43:45 AM
I wonder what the difference between the patched version and the complete version will be?

I just wish he also added scanlines, but probably not :(

Pure speculation but I think the free patch will fix most of the critical bugs and the "complete" version will have more minor bug fixes and maybe stuff like the scanlines?

EOJ

Mihara posted a new blog post today addressing questions from people about the 'complete' version. He said:

1)The 'complete' version he mentioned will be DLC-only and you must own the original game to buy it and play it.
2)He can't comment on the possibility of a re-released 'complete' disc version or a 'games on demand' version.
My score archive

bcass

A quick Q for those of you familiar with the various OST releases for dai-ou-jou - is the arrange soundtrack from the 360 version available on CD?

I've just been pulling this disc apart to get at the music files, but found some other interesting stuff along the way:

- all the images in the game (wallpapers, artwork, etc.) are in TGA format
- all the music is in WAV format (sampled at 48000Hz)
- all the menus are in Flash format and can be run on any OS that supports Flash
- all the endings are stored as high quality WMV files

rtw

Quote from: bcass on December 07, 2009, 01:29:11 PM
I've just been pulling this disc apart to get at the music files, but found some other interesting stuff along the way:

- all the images in the game (wallpapers, artwork, etc.) are in TGA format

Did you manage to extract a TGA file and view it ?
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

bcass

I extracted all the TGA files.  They're all viewable on PC/Mac etc. with something like Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop.