Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalixir

In 1.1, why do people empty their power up gauge prior to the boss appearing?

Anyway I just fucked up a great run. 18000 multiplier in Halloween Town, but I ended up getting blindsided by a cart in the sheep stage. Seems like I can only play this in short bursts or I'll end up doing terribly.

EOJ

Quote from: Megalixir on May 07, 2009, 07:56:24 PM
In 1.1, why do people empty their power up gauge prior to the boss appearing?

If you enter a fight with an active power up gauge, you get 1)a bunch of suicide bullets tossed at you, and 2)it takes longer to recharge your gauge on the boss. It also allows you to milk more points off the last enemies in a level.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Megalixir

Sorry, I meant normal. I saw a replay where he had 100, depleted it prior to the boss, then upped it to 1000 on him.

Midnight Milkshake

Quote from: Monouchi on May 07, 2009, 11:36:59 AM
Hm, where to find the right leaderboard?

The top one for me is the 4.6 one with Casper.

The same here, can`t see your gamertags, if the're the same as you nicks.

Monouchi

Quote from: Midnight Milkshake on May 08, 2009, 07:27:23 AM
Quote from: Monouchi on May 07, 2009, 11:36:59 AM
Hm, where to find the right leaderboard?

The top one for me is the 4.6 one with Casper.

The same here, can`t see your gamertags, if the're the same as you nicks.

Ah, switch by using the shoulder buttons.  :rolleyes:

Very nice runs. I didnt know about the top and low screen placement on the Forest boss. I was dodging those apples....  :P

EOJ

There is a new post on the Cave blog today. Basically, the guy talks about a variety of things, the most interesting being:

-At first they wanted to charged 2400MP for Mega Black label. Then they cut it to 1400, and finally 1200 (due to the delay?).
-Arcade mode is NOT EMULATED. They had the PCB playing right next to it, and went through the game and carefully programmed
all the slowdown in. This is a pretty incredible feat, as the slowdown is nearly 100% accurate.
-They discussed whether the slowdown should be as exact in X360 mode, and decided to make it a little different in this regard (perhaps to make the mode more unique?).
-The Futari 1.5 port will have the same producer as the DS port, but unlike the DS port, he won't be the main guy programming the game. He says this is because he will likely be doing "multiple projects at once", so he'll leave the fine details for other programmers under his supervision.

My score archive

EOJ

I played two runs in Score attack this after noon - one in ver 1.1, the other in X360 mode. Both times I got "disconnected from Xbox live" randomly during the run, ending my run, and rendering my score null and void. This has never happened to me in Arcade mode (which I also played today). The possibility of this happening during a ver 1.1 run makes me rather apprehensive about playing that mode.
My score archive

Megalixir

I got that about half an hour ago. Thankfully I was only on the second stage but it still killed my run.

Moreover, I 1cc'd ver 1.1 for the first time, but it didn't give me the achievement. Seriously, what the hell?

EOJ

Quote from: Megalixir on May 08, 2009, 09:39:26 PM

Moreover, I 1cc'd ver 1.1 for the first time, but it didn't give me the achievement. Seriously, what the hell?

You don't need to 1CC ver 1.1 to get that achievement. Just clear the game, and watch the credits (including the staff roll). Pretty easy.
All settings have to be default, of course.
My score archive

Megalixir

All settings are default, and I did watch the credits until it asked for my initials and the game over screen appeared, but the achievement didn't appear.

Doesn't really make sense. Was I meant to choose the first option instead?

EOJ

Well, that's weird. Some of these seem buggy. I must have destroyed that car in the Swamp about 50 times before it gave me the achievement for that (it's supposed to only be 10 times).
My score archive

Megalixir

So you can get the achievement by simply continuing through 1.1, and there's no 1cc achievement for that mode? That's lame.

Normally I wouldn't care about achievements, but normally they work having to actively seek out why they don't. (I don't even have the notifications on, it's only when I check my profile do I realize what I've obtained).

EOJ

There's still a 1CC achievement in ver 1.1 - you have to clear all stages at rank 3 and the canyon. It's pretty hard.

My score archive

Megalixir

I just ran through "PLAY" instead of "Score attack" with 1.1, chose the option for Sakura to return to reality, watched the ending, and nothing came up.

Achievements in this game are seriously bugged. Hopefully the patch will fix this.

EOJ

Just got a 241mil 1CC in X360 mode with Follett (No EX, no suicide bullets). Only 7mil less than my Arcade mode score. I'm getting used to the different slowdown in that mode, and it's becoming more enjoyable. Plus it doesn't make my eyes bleed, like Arcade mode does.

I tried playing ver 1.1 a few times today and I've really lost interest in that. I find the scoring in the original game to be more exciting. Plus you can die on a boss, or sometimes even in a stage, and it doesn't mess up your score.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

QuoteThe possibility of this happening during a ver 1.1 run makes me rather apprehensive about playing that mode.
This is more than likely due to your crappy Hawaiian Internet... if you have any of the normal providers that is.

I understand the appeal of Arcade, but I think I've just had about enough of it.  I find it way, way too slow to start, and while scoring is much more forgiving of deaths, the recharge is definitely not.   I put in quite a bit of time to clear it w/ EX all on Rank 3.  I will attempt 1.1 at some point, but my Canyon play reeks of turd.

EOJ

I'm becoming surprisingly consistent with the recharge. I can do it midway in the graveyard (with no bomb), in the volcano (w/bomb), and a few other spots almost all the time now. All thanks to training mode, really. =D

My score archive

GaijinPunch

4.36 bil on the castle.  Not even up to the cow.  No miss, 96,500 counter.  Disconnected from live.  That'll teach me to open my mouth.  Fuck this bullshit. 

EOJ

Sorry to hear that. I think I'm just going to skip the glory of the online scoreboards, and play ver 1.1 in offline (if I play that mode any more in the future).
Hopefully with the patch they'll fix this garbage.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Yeah.... for shame.  Too bad my only replay up there is somewhat embarrassing.

EOJ

THIS is awesome:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6998982

Ver 1.1, stage 1-1, Forest, with Casper. He ends with 40,000 on the multiplier and 240mil points.  :o
The little scoring trick he does on the boss is something I've never seen in any of the replays from the leaderboards. It makes the on screen display disappear, like in Futari Black Label!
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Well, I suck.

I'm noticing that there are some ceatures that will kill you when you hit them, instead of just taking off half a block.  I'm a crazy, or is this true? 

Megalixir

This whole "dying once before the castle fucks your entire run up" shit is getting old, and fast.

GaijinPunch

Quote from: Megalixir on May 10, 2009, 04:54:54 AM
This whole "dying once before the castle fucks your entire run up" shit is getting old, and fast.

It fucks your run up when you die on the castle as well.  Hate to point it out, but this is true of just about every Cave game minus the Yagawa games (and Mushi original). 

Megalixir

Yeah, but some games have a better way of handling punishment for dying. This isn't one of them.

DOJ, for example. (<3)

adverse

That's one of the reasons I couldn't really get into MBL.  So much relies on getting the counter high, and in a game as random as Deathsmiles I would get killed more than I wanted to.  I'm still down to get playing when my net gets back up though.

One game I think had a great way to handle deaths was Mushi Futari Maniac (at least for Black Label), where a death is not going to necessarily fuck up your run.  The biggest points come from filling the screen with bullets and filling up on gems/activating the multiplier.  One death does not effect a counter that runs for the rest of the game.  Futari Original is a good example of another mode that punishes you really hard for deaths, but then again the rank gets so damn high that it's hard not to die at some point. 

Megalixir

Shalashaska

Sure does and holy hell do those bullets move fast when you get your counter up there.  :o

rtw

Does anyone know if this game is region locked to Japan ?
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

EOJ

Yes, it's region locked. Just like every other Japan-exclusive X360 game.
My score archive