Opinions on Handheld Cave Shooters

Started by Terramax, April 21, 2011, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terramax

Hey guys,

I remember someone on these forums a while back stating they thought cave stgs on phones and ipods were terrible. Well I invested in an ipod touch 2 weeks back and downloaded all 3 of Cave`s games on there and I`m loving it (particularly Espgaluda 2).

I think the games may be easier as you can seem to move your characters around faster, but honestly I can say that once overcoming where to put your finger on the screen where it doesn`t block the view of the ship and enemy bullets, it feels more natural than using a stick.

So, everyone else` thoughts?

Midey

I don't have an iPod, hopefully Cave will focus on releasing games on XBOX360. ;)

SuperPang

They're very good for what they are but I rarely play them

brentsg

Quote from: SuperPang on April 21, 2011, 12:19:13 PM

Yeah same here..  But there's something to be said for having a version of DFK or Galuda II that I can play while I wait for a sandwich.

ookitarepanda

Quote from: brentsg on April 21, 2011, 12:32:40 PMYeah same here..  But there's something to be said for having a version of DFK or Galuda II that I can play while I wait for a sandwich.

Was it not EOJ who said he'd rather have a sandwich than one of these games?

Anyway, I think they're cool. Because of a contest on openfeint for ESPGaluda II, I just got a $50 itunes gift certificate the other day. That just reimbursed me for buying all of the iphone cave games and then some.

What I don't like is the inability to really control how much you shoot/what type of shot you're using. Yeah I know you can switch with the sidebar buttons, but it's so much easier to do with just a regular CP at a cab. So scoring is out the window.

HVL

I don't know why you would play them if you have access to the real thing. Being on the road is entirely a different thing, though.

They're somewhat fun $5 distractions. No more, no less.

sh00g

DFK while I wait at the grocery store.

Terramax

Quote from: HVL on April 21, 2011, 01:33:57 PM
I don't know why you would play them if you have access to the real thing. Being on the road is entirely a different thing, though.

Well this is it, I am on the road and will be for about a year, so it`s something of a Godsend. Also, for some reason I wasn`t that interested in playing Espgaluda 2, or at least not willing to pay about 50GBP, but 5GBP seemed more reasonable so I downloaded. Now I`m hooked on it, and the first thing I`m going to do when I get home is buy a copy.

skykid

Espgaluda II on the train for ?3.99 = incredible.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

bitkid

I keep hoping that Cave will port some of their hori shooters to something like 3DS or maybe the next gen PSP system. It would be awesome to have a portable Deathsmiles on the go with something to control it with aside from touchscreen.

LFKASS

At the risk of being ostracized at first post, I will start out by outing myself as a huge fan of Mushihimesama Bug Panic.  I personally love the asthestic quality of the controls.  If you can't use them effectively, either your hands are big enough to palm a basketball, or you're just no good.  Like Futari, or any Cave shooter for that matter, the game changes as you get better.  Once entirely focused on chaining, Adventure Mode plays like some sort of puzzle shooter or something.

Judging by the lack of a dedicated thread on this board, I assume there isn't much interest here.  If anyone does play, out yourselves and your high scores.  If anyone here can top my Adventure Mode score, I'd get back into it.

LFKASS - Rank #9 - 1,477,487,250

LFKASS AKA fullduplexnurse

Raiden

Dodonpachi Resurection was cool. Played it on my friend's iPod Touch.

Gonna get it when I get my iPhone.

EOJ

Quote from: LFKASS on May 19, 2011, 03:55:16 PM
Judging by the lack of a dedicated thread on this board, I assume there isn't much interest here.  If anyone does play, out yourselves and your high scores.  If anyone here can top my Adventure Mode score, I'd get back into it.

LFKASS - Rank #9 - 1,477,487,250

LFKASS AKA fullduplexnurse

Feel free to open a score thread for this game yourself. It might attract some other players!
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

SomeMist

when I'm sitting around for an appointment, or have time while I'm out, I really enjoy playing ketsui death label on DS. It's not as good as ketsui kizuna jigoku tachi extra, but it's still one of my favorite DS games. The final game mode (the actual stages + bosses after boss rush) is insanely hard.

hermosaguy

Quote from: SuperPang on April 21, 2011, 12:19:13 PM

I agree. More of like a novelty unfortunately. Its just not the same playing something how it was meant to be played and then going to a piece of hardware that is restricted just by touch. I need a tactile controller or d-pad to enjoy them.

EOJ

Quote from: hermosaguy on May 19, 2011, 09:28:48 PM
I need a tactile controller or d-pad to enjoy them.

Bingo. That's why I prefer sandwiches.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

SH4R4KU

Quote from: HVL on April 21, 2011, 01:33:57 PM

They're somewhat fun $5 distractions. No more, no less.

I love to play DFK most days during my 1 hour commute to and from the office here in Tokyo. Getting home and playing the real thing is obviously better, though I am actually better at the mobile versions as I can move much faster!

I am finding it as a useful medium to practice some of the enemy, bullet and boss patterns being as I am new to SHMUP games this year.

It's the main reason I bought an iPhone 4 here.