Ketsui DS Scoring Contest, sponsored by Arika!

Started by adverse, December 02, 2008, 02:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

So Mihara has finally gotten around to putting together his Ketsui DS contest.

The details are here for those who read Japanese:

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid539.html

They are looking for scores in Death Label and Extra mode.  You will have to have a replay of your score and potentially may be asked to send them the cartridge so they can verify the score/replay.

Basically you want to send your scores to database@arika.co.jp

with

Course:
Score:
Ship type:
Number of lives remaining:
Notes:

then

Your Name:
Score Name:
Contact details:
Comments:

It doesn't say much about the prizes, only that they he thinks they are really good and will be handed out for each level and according to its difficulty for those selected. 

Deadline is December 19th!

I'm probably missing some info from Mihara's post here, so before you send anything to them, please confirm here.  If you get a reply from Arika and you don't understand the Japanese, paste it here and the bilinguals here can have a look at it.

EOJ

Cool idea, but let's face it, the odds of anyone here coming close to the scores of the Japanese players are pretty low. Also, I doubt this is open to anyone outside of Japan.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

Doesn't say anything at all on the rules about country limits.  Perhaps if people have adequate motive, they'll do well in the comp?  :righton:

adverse

Well folks, the results are in!

Death Label winner: sy
Score: 3,834,808,230

2nd place finisher KEH was right behind him.

Extra Course winner: cayさん
Score: 143,728,165

Here's video of the best Death Label run:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5757903

Looks like Mihara might run a contest for Hard next time, so maybe some folks here will give it a try?  There are apparently prizes even for random participants.

Plasmo

MrMonkeyMan

I even submitted my score.  Should have had someone in Japan submit it for me.

I'm guessing the posted score is a clear though.

adverse

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan on January 05, 2009, 03:53:45 PM
I even submitted my score.  Should have had someone in Japan submit it for me.

I'm guessing the posted score is a clear though.

Actually it's not a clear!  Want me to try and email mihara for you?

MrMonkeyMan

Don't worry about it.  I let them know I was from Canada and all that in the email.

It would have been neat to get my replay published though.

adverse

Ok man...if you're sure.

Just curious though, does your alias show up here in the list of extra competitors?  (second list)

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid590.html

FrederikJurk

Can?t believe the arrogance to not accept your score  :oogle:

EOJ

As I posted before, I doubt this was open to non-Japanese, as the game has only been released in Japan. Plus Mihara isn't very friendly to foreigners (at least that's the impression I've gotten).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

FrederikJurk

adverse

Quote from: EOJ on January 06, 2009, 01:33:25 AM
Plus Mihara isn't very friendly to foreigners (at least that's the impression I've gotten).

Yeah, what was that whole fiasco where he got pissed at CAVE-STG for using the <3 Ikedasan picture or whatever?  Man, that's sad. 

Sorry for wasting everyone's time with a contest run by this guy, who seems like a bigot.

FrederikJurk

Makes me wish I had pirated the game instead. The more I think about this whole thing the angrier it makes me. Screw this circlejerking.

charlienash87

Quote from: EOJ on January 06, 2009, 01:33:25 AM
As I posted before, I doubt this was open to non-Japanese, as the game has only been released in Japan. Plus Mihara isn't very friendly to foreigners (at least that's the impression I've gotten).

All foreigners, or just the guia los?
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

gsl

Mihara certainly seems to be a bit of the old-guard mentality with regard to foreigners, which is too bad.  With such a niche market as shooting games, you'd think they'd welcome the extra sales etc. that a non-Japanese fan base would bring (as well as be appreciative that the things you do are enjoyed by people outside your own nation), but that Nippon ichiban mentality runs deep and counter to all logic and reason.

And while pirating the game to make a statement (as opposed to the usual "I don't want to pay here's why _____" reason) might or might not stick it to Arika, it also might make a difference to Cave when they decide to license more titles for the portable treatment.  Realistically, not buying a copy isn't going to say to the company, "Whoa, we made this guy angry is why he just downloaded the game"; a more likely result is Cave saying "Huh, the sales were lousy and it seems more people downloaded the game than bought it.  Guess we won't license any more titles for portable versions." 
Besides, doesn't the box look all nice and purty on your shelf?   :)

adverse

I agree with Frederik's sentiment personally.  Why support a project by a guy who doesn't treat foreign entrants equally in score competitions for the games he designs?  Really sucks that this guy is the best porting programmer they've got.