Cave increased iOS system requirements with Dai-ou-jou (Peaceful Death)

Started by firenze, January 27, 2012, 05:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firenze

Worth clearly noting so people don't assume their iDevice that could play all of Cave's previous iOS releases will be able to play DOJ.  Especially annoying given that DOJ is an older game than the other iOS ports.

http://www.cave-world.com/en/support/device.html

Now: iPhone 4/4S, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 4th gen and newer.  

All previous releases: Supported iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, and iPod Touch 3rd gen (32/64GB).  

Another reason to dislike iOS gaming.  You're at the mercy of Apple's policies of intentional obsolescence and yearly update cycle if you want to play higher end games.  Much shorter lifespan than a traditional console/portable, and you can't upgrade an Apple device like you could a PC.  Nothing to do but replace it for a newer model.  

I actually enjoy the iOS releases.  They're no replacement for being able to play with a real controller, but fun enough diversions.  But this is pretty annoying.

EOJ

First trailer of the iOS version:

http://youtu.be/1tBKmDqONcs

Due out in a couple weeks (mid-Feb). It has selectable difficulty levels, but no new arrange mode. Black Label isn't included.

Also on the official site:

http://www.cave-world.com/jp/games/dodonpachi-daioujou.html

I have no idea why this requires the newer hardware, even Mushihimesama ran on older stuff and it's from newer arcade hardware. Bizarre. Anyway, I have an ipad 2, so I will buy this. What the heck has happened to me, I'm actually buying Cave iOS games now. Truth be told I do enjoy Espgaluda II HD Smartphone mode and Mushihimesama iOS.  :-[
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

ookitarepanda

Quote from: EOJ on January 28, 2012, 08:07:36 AMWhat the heck has happened to me, I'm actually buying Cave iOS games now. Truth be told I do enjoy Espgaluda II HD Smartphone mode and Mushihimesama iOS.  :-[

YESSSSSS!

Sorta funny how they're increasing the hardware again. But at the same time, the iPhone 4 has been since mid-2010. Two years later, I can see why they'd be programming for things that have a larger processor, etc.

brentsg

The older devices are gimped on RAM and it's obvious that Cave struggled with that on Mushi.

moozooh

Quote from: brentsg on January 28, 2012, 04:44:51 PM
The older devices are gimped on RAM and it's obvious that Cave struggled with that on Mushi.

...Gimped on RAM, unlike the PS2 with its monstrous 32 MB? Please. :rolleyes:

My guess is that they've just decided not to spend time optimizing high-level code for performance. Or, the decision has no relation to performance whatsoever. At least it seems much more likely than the supposed inability to make use of abundant memory of 3GS and the contemporary devices.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

ookitarepanda

Quote from: moozooh on January 29, 2012, 02:34:11 PM...Gimped on RAM, unlike the PS2 with its monstrous 32 MB? Please. :rolleyes:

Are you trying to imply that the Mushi port on the PS2 was good? Unclear.

brentsg

Quote from: moozooh on January 29, 2012, 02:34:11 PM
Quote from: brentsg on January 28, 2012, 04:44:51 PM

...Gimped on RAM, unlike the PS2 with its monstrous 32 MB? Please. :rolleyes:

If you're skilled in development for the PS2 and iOS devices please feel free to fill us in.  The iPhone and iPad are both multitasking devices, so they certainly aren't able to execute the game code with nothing else in contention for system memory.  And didn't Cave initially tell folks to clear other apps when having problems running Mushi?  I know that I frequently had to restart my iPad1 in order for it to work, while my 4GS was rock solid.

By your logic, if the PS2 can run Mushi with 32MB RAM then my PC should be able to do the same right?

moozooh

Quote from: ookitarepanda on January 29, 2012, 03:24:52 PM
Are you trying to imply that the Mushi port on the PS2 was good? Unclear.

No, that PS2 was quite sufficient to execute it. Even more so with DOJ. iPad is more powerful in every possible regard.

The problems with Mushi and Ibara ports were not due to lack of RAM; if anything, they ran faster than expected in most cases. Cave porting teams aren't exactly known for quality work; after making DeathSmiles and having most of the ground work created for them by M2, Cave still manages to make worse ports than other teams doing the same with their own games.

Quote from: brentsg on January 29, 2012, 04:44:17 PM
The iPhone and iPad are both multitasking devices, so they certainly aren't able to execute the game code with nothing else in contention for system memory.  And didn't Cave initially tell folks to clear other apps when having problems running Mushi?  I know that I frequently had to restart my iPad1 in order for it to work, while my 4GS was rock solid.

They are, but just how much RAM space do you think is permanently occupied by the system services, 80%, 90%? 256 MB is in no way "gimped on RAM". The older 128 MB models (3G, etc.) allowed some 30-35 MB for user applications, so, considering the drastic gap in hardware capabilities, 256 MB would have been more than enough for a game whose assets are about 40 MB in total, uncompressed. Which means either the code has become bloated since then (which is not exactly unexpected, considering it's Objective C), or the assets aren't efficiently compressed and/or preloaded from resident storage, or there is another reason for this. Which, on the other hand, may have been artificially upping the requirements to rule out crashes for people who love to run everything at the same time, which is a bad habit in general.

Quote from: brentsg on January 29, 2012, 04:44:17 PMBy your logic, if the PS2 can run Mushi with 32MB RAM then my PC should be able to do the same right?

No, that is definitely not my logic. Try better. :)
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

Blue_Rei

Well my 3GS had a good run. Looks like Mushihimesama is it's swan song...

:(

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

This is out now, I just downloaded it and gave it a few spins. Pretty fun, but a pretty bad port too. Lots of slowdown is missing. A shame as the Mushi port was very accurate in this regard. Anyway, fun for $5. X360 port is still the best.
My score archive

sh00g

Meh, no iphone mode, no black label with the cool stage 4 theme.

I sure as hell am not going to stress over chaining on a little shit touch screen game.

I have way more fun with mushi.

ookitarepanda

The fun thing with Mushi is that the game was all over speedy bullets, so it didn't really matter how much slowdown was missing. DOJ on the other hand... I dunno. Played through once with B-Exy, but I'll probably give the rest of the game a shot too, partially to see the English endings.

Still, this and Mushi seem very different from earlier Cave iOS releases. I feel like including a special smartphone version added some heft to the game, and made it seem like a little more of a project. But there's something else I can't quite put my finger on...

I do like how you have to earn credits though. That will shut noobs up who say the game's "too easy" because they have infinite continues.

EOJ

Quote from: ookitarepanda on February 10, 2012, 10:00:06 AM
The fun thing with Mushi is that the game was all over speedy bullets, so it didn't really matter how much slowdown was missing.

Are you just talking about original mode? For Maniac and Ultra, the slowdown is all over the place and it does really matter.

For this ddp, the slowdown replication is pretty accurate in stage 5, but a lot is missing in the previous stages.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Yeah I was just talking about original. But still whenever I play maniac on my PCB I feel like the game's on crack compared to later SH3 boards.