Dodonpachi Daioujou Rinne Tensei [PS4, 12/7/2023, M2 Shottriggers]

Started by EOJ, December 23, 2022, 02:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

DOJ port for the PS4 has been announced for 2023, made by M2 for their Shottriggers line:

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1606262354202677248

Promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-18pYzKhg

It will include both Daioujou and Daioujou Black Label.

Update: official title is 怒首領蜂大往生 臨廻転生 Dodonpachi Daioujou Rinne Tensei
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

I'm not a fan of this game, but I do hope they include Black Label, at least.

I think Ibara would have been a better choice, with its Black Label included, since all we have is that horrible port on the PS2 plus no port of BL at all. Oh well, maybe next time!
My score archive

Sandinista

Heh heh ! Great news .

First day purchase for me . M2 top tier so this should be really good .

SuperPang

Always amuses me when they wheel IKD out as a special guest to unveil big news on a live stream and it's something like... another DOJ port.

Lots of talk of arcade perfection but Arika got close enough 20 years ago didn't they? Just goes to show how unpopular Ibara is in Japan EOJ.

slateman

I'm not surprised but I am thrilled. DOJ is way more well-known than Ibara and making a proper (i.e. not mobile or 5pb) version available on modern systems is quite exciting.

BL's inclusion is a must IMO, but I doubt we'll see Death Label. Amazing how fantastic Arika's port was all that time ago!

EOJ

Around the time Ketsui was released, M2 were asked about Ibara, and they said someone on their team worked on Ibara and didn't want to revisit it so soon, so they went with Ketsui instead. Hopefully they will port it in the next year or two. But who knows. So far M2 have only ported one CV1000 game (Futari), and they seem more interested in porting games on the older hardware. New, proper ports of Donpachi and Dodonpachi would be great to have too.

PS2 DOJ is not quite perfect, and does not have BL included, so I can see why they went with a new port. The X360 port is pretty good but the load times, training mode, and interface are poor.
My score archive

slateman

Didn't know that about M2 and Ibara. Ideally, the next Playstation would also be backwards compatible so we're not in this same boat a few years down the line.

I missed out on a few 360 ports and would love to get any and every title that's locked to the console (like MMP). The dream of DDP and campaign mode may not be as out of reach as we once thought. We've been pretty lucky these past few years with the number and quality of ported titles.

immortaljellyfish

I of course welcome the news of a PS4 DOJ port, but yeah, Ibara would be the dream.

buffi

Quote from: EOJ on December 24, 2022, 02:00:27 PM
Around the time Ketsui was released, M2 were asked about Ibara, and they said someone on their team worked on Ibara and didn't want to revisit it so soon, so they went with Ketsui instead. Hopefully they will port it in the next year or two. But who knows. So far M2 have only ported one CV1000 game (Futari), and they seem more interested in porting games on the older hardware. New, proper ports of Donpachi and Dodonpachi would be great to have too.

PS2 DOJ is not quite perfect, and does not have BL included, so I can see why they went with a new port. The X360 port is pretty good but the load times, training mode, and interface are poor.

CV1000 games are a hell of a lot more complex to port accurately than the earlier titles, so I'm not surprised they are staying away from it tbh.

Their Futari port is fun, but it has a lot of slowdown compared to the PCB, especially in 1.5.

I'm pretty happy about a new DOJ port tbh. PS2 was a long time ago, and a proper BL port will be cool. Since they've already done Ketsui, they should have a good base to build on. Hoping for Galuda1 as well some time.

slateman

A full DOJ with BL and all the bells-and-whistles could be a killer, legendary release.  I'm hoping it gets the full M2 treatment.  Let's face it - this has the potential to be a great home upgrade to the 20-year-old PS2 game and its load times.

I'm dreaming here, but could it have all the tweaks?  We won't see Tamashii (there is some easy mode), but is there a chance of the 360 X-Mode?  Is there any chance of Death Label?  A new mode entirely?  Arranged soundtracks?  As a DOJ fanatic, this is the best shmup news there could possibly be.  #2?  Futari.  I recall EOJ singing praises so many years ago about it; it took me longer to appreciate Futari.  DOJ/Futari/DDP may be my holy trinity.  I'm simply thrilled at this news and it's one of the very few that I'd likely buy a physical version.  So thoroughly excited.

EOJ

I think Tamashii might be included. Ditto for the "Dodonpachi III" ROM. M2 are known to include international or rare arcade ROM variations.

I doubt DOJ X-Mode will appear. M2 did not include in their PS4 Ketsui port the excellent Ketsui X-Mode that 5pb made for the X360 port, after all. I suspect 5pb owns the rights to their own arrange versions.
My score archive

EOJ

Update:

It will include both Daioujou and Daioujou Black Label.

The official title is 怒首領蜂大往生 臨廻転生 Dodonpachi Daioujou Rinne Tensei (DDP DOJ RT)

https://www.4gamer.net/games/685/G068589/20230210102/
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

brentsg

I'm just catching up on the news.  I heard about the port but it didn't trigger a great deal of excitement.  I'll buy it of course, but meh.

I was going to reply to the earlier posts that were discussing Ibara, but they are old at this point.  I still can't believe I'll have to be buried with my Ibara PCBs, apparently.

EOJ

I don't think I'll buy this one as I have no desire to play DOJ ever again. But I'm sure it'll be great. I'm hoping a new SDOJ home port follows in 2024, maybe by City Connection. Their Akai Katana and DS/DSMBL ports are great.

By the time a new Ibara port appears I'll probably be too old to play these games. :laugh:
My score archive

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on September 05, 2023, 12:57:48 AM
I don't think I'll buy this one as I have no desire to play DOJ ever again. But I'm sure it'll be great. I'm hoping a new SDOJ home port follows in 2024, maybe by City Connection. Their Akai Katana and DS/DSMBL ports are great.

By the time a new Ibara port appears I'll probably be too old to play these games. :laugh:

I think I'm already too old to play them, but honestly I don't get around to it much anymore anyways.  Last year I made it a point to platinum all the Fromsoft games ahead of Elden Ring, just to prove that my old man body could still do stuff.

slateman

Looks like we'll be getting some arranged modes based on each doll. I expect an alternate soundtrack too.

https://x.com/gosokkyu/status/1704828619686916603?s=20

EOJ

That sounds great. If any of the arrange modes look interesting it will be worth it to buy the game again. I only keep my copy of DOJBL EXTRA on the X360 because of the 360 Arrange mode.

I wonder what "Luna Tour" mode is?

My score archive

slateman

Quote from: Liquidus0 on September 24, 2023, 07:08:37 PM
No bullet mode maybe ?

Always find it so interesting: this new port really will be the best way to play DOJ for most people forever.  But even still, 360 arrange and Death Label will always be locked to an older, inferior port. 

Could be no bullets.  A pair of casual modes is susprising.  It's some training/challenge mode, certainly.  I'm so excited for this release. 

EOJ

This is out in Japan now. I bought the digital version on PSN. So far I've played each of the three Arrange modes and explored a few other parts briefly.

Arrange S (Shotia) is sorta like Mushihimesama Original Mode. No chaining, no bombs, no laser. Shot is always hyper shot. Rank increases with each life you receive. You get an extra life at the 10mil mark, and one life after every midboss and boss. Bullet patterns get faster and more dense with higher hyper rank. So, high scores involve getting as many lives as possible and not dying -- note that the game only shows up to six lives in stock on the in-game screen, but if you have the M2 gadgets active you can see your lives increase beyond this. When your shot is on a large enemy the "Rinne" gauge on the bottom fills up. When you defeat enemies with a full Rinne gauge you get large star items.

Arrange L and EX have chaining and bombs. Arrange L is the first loop, Arrange EX is the second loop. These modes have autobomb and autohyper. Like S, you get a new life after every boss and midboss. EX mode has bullet cancels on large enemies, sorta like DFK BL.

All of these are interesting, but so far I think DOJBLEX's X-Mode is better.

The game looks great and controls really well in all the modes, so that's good. Having DDP III in here is a nice bonus as well, though I'm not familiar with the gameplay differences.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

I cleared Arrange L (Type B) on my second try, with 188mil. Pretty easy thanks to the DFK-style autobomb. I was down to my last life on Hibachi, though, so I just barely got the 1CC. It seems you get 10mil for each spare bomb, probably a lot more for each spare life (50 or 100mil, perhaps?).

You also get the bullet cancels in Arrange L with a max "Tensei" gauge, though unlike Arrange EX, you still have to pick up the hyper bee items. Also, in Arrange L the hypers are pretty short in duration. I tried a level 1 and a level 4 and they were both pretty short.
My score archive

EOJ

Just played another credit of Arrange L, Type B. Got 367mil (1CC). I finished with 4 lives, and you get 50mil per life at your end bonus. This is the highest score on the Arrange L (Type B) leaderboard now, but I'm sure that won't last long as I don't know how to chain in this game at all.

EDIT: I just did a run of Arrange EX (Type B) and I got a 1CC there too (166mil). So all of these arrange modes are pretty easy to clear.

I'd also like to add I think the new arrange soundtrack in this is pretty nice.
My score archive