Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra [JP X360] - Patch is out!

Started by EOJ, November 14, 2008, 06:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on January 19, 2011, 02:24:09 PMI just watched SIN's 100 billion score in X-Mode.

Me too, I wonder what's up with all the dying on stage 4?  :laugh:

antares

Quote from: bcass on January 19, 2011, 06:43:26 AM
Interestingly, there's a new Xbox 360 system update out today too.  One of the new features allows you to install game updates onto the HDD instead of having the last 10 residing on the cache.

From where did you get this information? I can't find anything about it.

njiska

Quote from: EOJ on January 19, 2011, 02:24:09 PM
The graphics look sharper without the blur filter

Not just sharper, but brighter. Having never played the arcade version I didn't know how good this game looks. Now I'm blown away. Loads are much improved but my inital load still took about 30 seconds. This may be because nothing was cached and subsequent loads may improve.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

supabok

Quote from: njiska on January 19, 2011, 05:36:38 PM
Loads are much improved but my inital load still took about 30 seconds. This may be because nothing was cached and subsequent loads may improve.
I have the game installed on the HDD and the initial load is @5~10 seconds. If you don't have it installed maybe you can try that to speed it up?!

njiska

Quote from: supabok on January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM
I have the game installed on the HDD and the initial load is @5~10 seconds. If you don't have it installed maybe you can try that to speed it up?!

Correct it's not installed. I wanted to gauge the change as the game was meant to be played and that's on disc. I'll probably install it to the HDD now since it seems to really make a difference

bcass

Quote from: njiska on January 19, 2011, 08:29:40 PMI wanted to gauge the change as the game was meant to be played and that's on disc.

The HDD *is* a disc.  Part of Microsoft's testing includes testing if the game works as an install from the HDD. Therefore the game was designed and meant to be played from either DVD or HDD.

Quote from: brentsg on January 19, 2011, 11:11:00 AM
Quote from: bcass on January 19, 2011, 06:43:26 AM
Interestingly, there's a new Xbox 360 system update out today too.  One of the new features allows you to install game updates onto the HDD instead of having the last 10 residing on the cache.

Is this something that can be configured now?

Don't think so.  I got the info from the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_system_software

Note: this page has been updated since I posted the info earlier. It now shows the feature as being part of the 1st November 2010 update, whereas earlier it showed it as being part of the 9th January 2011 update.

Shalashaska

The load times didn't really bother me that much before but the improvement is very welcome. There are some minor annoyances still. The main thing I don't like is the lack of an overall leaderboard. The scores are all separated by ship and shot type. It's annoying to have to scroll through them all to see who on my friends list even has a score listed. I thought my scores weren't posting for some reason until I noticed there isn't an overall listing.

The start button is used to back out of the menus which makes no sense at all and button presses (on menus) are still not recognized sometimes.

The improvements really do outweigh these little things though and it's great to finally have this patch.

njiska

Quote from: bcass on January 19, 2011, 08:40:00 PM
Quote from: njiska on January 19, 2011, 08:29:40 PMI wanted to gauge the change as the game was meant to be played and that's on disc.

The HDD *is* a disc.  Part of Microsoft's testing includes testing if the game works as an install from the HDD. Therefore the game was designed and meant to be played from either DVD or HDD.

I think you're misinterpreting my statement slightly. I simply meant all Xbox 360 games are meant to be played right of the disc, unlike the PS3 where installs could be mandatory. I know the install is tested and works fine, but that wasn't my concern with load improvements. I've always played off disc so i wanted to see the loaad improve off disc.

bcass

Quote from: njiska on January 19, 2011, 11:00:35 PMI know the install is tested and works fine, but that wasn't my concern with load improvements.

It should be.  Almost all retail games load faster when installed onto the HDD.

EOJ

Quote from: Shalashaska on January 19, 2011, 10:33:33 PM
The main thing I don't like is the lack of an overall leaderboard. The scores are all separated by ship and shot type. It's annoying to have to scroll through them all to see who on my friends list even has a score listed. I thought my scores weren't posting for some reason until I noticed there isn't an overall listing.

I will have to disagree with you here - they are merely following Japanese ranking rules. Comparing the different ship types in one overall chart is completely meaningless when scores for each ship/character are segregated in any Japanese ranking worth a damn (this is true for nearly every Cave game). Kudos to 5pb for just sticking with the rankings that matter. I should also add the ranking system was the same before the patch as it is after. The intent of this patch was just to fix bugs, not to modify features.

On another topic, I have the game installed on my hdd and I counted my initial load time as 18 seconds. Mode-transition loads (in/out) are about 5 seconds (sometimes 7), and loads between each item in the Gallery are precisely 3 seconds.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Strider77

So the red sea has finally parted....   it's great to not be counting the days to this patch then log on and see it's up and ready at my leisure.

Despite the screw ups that have happened, cave and friends have really come through when all things are said and done. This actually making it out and 4:3 support for Guwange, you have to feel loved.

EOJ

What's with all the people claiming the game is blurry after the patch? See for example, this. Have they never played another non-HD Cave port in 480i or 720p? Look at E2 Arcade mode with smoothing off. Same deal as DDPDOJBLEX. 

I've played the game on my LCD (720p) and RGB monitor (480i), and both look much sharper after the patch, and perfectly in line with other Cave ports (non-HD graphic modes). It's really sharp on my LCD, without a hint of blurriness.

People just like complaining about this game, I guess. I'll hate to see them all freak out at the "blurriness" when they get MMP/PS.
My score archive

Shalashaska

Quote from: EOJ on January 19, 2011, 11:40:03 PM
I will have to disagree with you here - they are merely following Japanese ranking rules. Comparing the different ship types in one overall chart is completely meaningless when scores for each ship/character are segregated in any Japanese ranking worth a damn (this is true for nearly every Cave game). Kudos to 5pb for just sticking with the rankings that matter. I should also add the ranking system was the same before the patch as it is after. The intent of this patch was just to fix bugs, not to modify features.

Yet there's combined scoreboards in DFK, Futari, ESPGaluda II, Deathsmiles II, etc.? Those titles show scores overall (while still allowing you to filter them by ship/character if you want) which IMO is a much better system and way more convenient when trying to see the top scores. Anyway, like I said it's not a big deal and I realize it isn't going to change. I'll just be grateful the leaderboards actually work now.  :righton:

EOJ

Quote from: Shalashaska on January 20, 2011, 12:51:07 AM
Yet there's combined scoreboards in DFK, Futari, ESPGaluda II, Deathsmiles II, etc.?

Yep, Cave does that. On the other hand, Cave did not give us separate rankings for Omote and Ura loops in DFK (which sucks big time, as Arcadia magazine tracks these scores separately), while 5pb's Ketsui port does.

In terms of ranking systems 5pb > Cave.
My score archive

Shalashaska

Quote from: EOJ on January 20, 2011, 12:55:00 AM
In terms of ranking systems 5pb > Cave.
Agree to disagree. =D Though I understand you're coming more from a "purist" (Arcadia) standpoint.

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

SIN says the bugs in X-Mode were fixed, and it was a breeze to get 100+ billion. He thinks he could get over 200 billion with some effort:

http://sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/211/
My score archive

EOJ

The X-Mode scores are pretty crazy now. SIN has 290bil with A-S, another dude has 344bil with A-L. Replays are up too.

I'm loving the BL and White Label replays up so far. My appreciation for this game is growing by the day. It's fast becoming one of my favorite Cave X360 ports.
My score archive

emphatic

moozooh

Quote from: EOJ on January 24, 2011, 04:51:47 AMMy appreciation for this game is growing by the day. It's fast becoming one of my favorite Cave X360 ports.
Even though I haven't patched my version yet, and am mostly playing it on MAME, my appreciation for this game has been growing steadily during the past month as well!
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

Sapz

Same for me, too. Savestates in MAME mean I can finally practice the tricky parts and get to grips with the chaining. =D Definitely my favourite Cave game now.

insigniadeck

sorry for the noob question but is it harder than the arrange mode?i tried playing it recently and aside from the countless hyper and full power shot(i think),it seems much harder with wilder bullet pattern.How does the auto bomb work?i tried playing it with no bomb and no hyper but it seems much more harder than arrange mode.

StarCreator

... I have no idea what you're talking about.  Can you clarify what modes you're referring to?  There's only three modes in BLEX, Arcade Old Version (White Label), Arcade New Version (Black Label), and X Mode.

insigniadeck

sorry i forgot to mention,im talking bout x mode which i heard is supposed to be the easy mode.i think arrange mode is the easiest for me...i find xmode to be totally crazy unless i use bombs or hyper.im trying to do a no bomb no hyper mode in x mode yet it seem so hard compared to arrange mode.

Special World

Quote from: insigniadeck on April 06, 2011, 12:04:21 PM
sorry i forgot to mention,im talking bout x mode which i heard is supposed to be the easy mode.i think arrange mode is the easiest for me...i find xmode to be totally crazy unless i use bombs or hyper.im trying to do a no bomb no hyper mode in x mode yet it seem so hard compared to arrange mode.

He was confused because (as far as I know) there is no Arrange Mode in DOJ. What you're likely talking about is Black Label, which contains only minor tweaks to the original arcade game (White Label). From what I've played of X Mode, it's actually quite easier than either other mode. The point is to use the hyper to cancel bullets and get a crazy chain, so it's not like you're supposed to just brave every wave of bullets. Also, those red suicide bullets can be canceled with your shot, IIRC.

I only have limited experience with the game, but I think that's all correct.

insigniadeck

sorry for my mistake,yeah the black label mode,i must gotten confused with other games since im totally new in this scene.yeah i think im playing the xmode wrong with trying to not use hyper and bombs.how do u trigger auto bomb in xmode?and i cant get the chaining mode..

EOJ

In X-Mode, iirc, autobomb only works when you have a full bomb stock, and maybe only on bosses. I think the game is easiest with the Laser type (second doll in the menu).
My score archive

Aliquantic

I've had multiple autobombs in the same life without a bomb restock as Shotia, so I suspect it depends on the character (Leinyan is definitely only one autobomb as a rule, but I've had it triggered during the stages too).

I'd recommend watching online replays to figure out how chaining works, or looking up other threads for the exact mechanics. Chaining is *much* easier in X-Mode most of the time too since you can cancel bullets to keep your chain up, but you'll still need to learn how to navigate those few "break" spots with no enemies on the screen.

pestilence

Lienyan will auto bomb once
Shotia will auto bomb while there is stock
Exy doesn't auto bomb
Piper doesn't carry bombs

btw has anyone figured out what changes were made to Exy?

Aliquantic

Isn't Exy just "it takes two hypers to start cancelling bullets, but you can cancel with both shoot and laser"?