Akai Katana Limited Home Version [Cave, PCB Kit, November 19, 2010]

Started by adpag, November 08, 2010, 07:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVL

Having heard the full OST, I'm really warming up to the music. It's still a far cry from most SH3 games, but not bad at all.

Too bad it won't fix the awfully boring game mechanics.

EOJ

A translation of SIN's list of differences in the new "Limited Version" of Akai Katana, compared to the original.

General things added:

-Stage select
-Two difficulty levels: white ("shiro") rank (original difficulty) and red ("akai") rank (new, harder difficulty). The latter is like an Ultra mode.
-On the high score ranking, the initials of scores done in the red rank difficulty flash red.
-Extends have changed to 200mil and 500mil
-Enemy placement in the second half of stages 1 and 2 has been changed
-Bullet patterns and speed in normal difficulty have been tweaked
-Suicide bullets are emitted from enemies in red rank difficulty when you destroy them
-Both midbosses and bosses in red rank difficulty have bullet patterns that look like 2nd loop (or Ultra mode) patterns
-No hit cap

More differences in-game:

-Bomb time duration has been shortened, and its power decreased
-In-stage hit count does not decrease until the end of the stage
-Item point formula changed to: item base value + hit count x 10
-Stage bonus calculation changed to the total count of all gold (small to large) collected x 10,000
-Clear bonus is the same as in vanilla AK (8million per life, 2 million per bomb). As before, if you die on the true last boss, your end bonus is zero.

SIN listed more tweaks related to the actual characters, attack modes, and so forth, but these are pretty subtle differences. He says it feels very much like an Akai Katana Black Label, and can only think it was not released in the arcades due to Akai Katana selling so poorly. Indeed, I doubt there were more than a couple hundred AK PCBs sold.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

moozooh

Hoping the Limited version will be released as a port eventually, in my opinion the changes are pretty cool (and I already considered the game cool before!).
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

KOMA

brentsg

The video SIN created looks great.  If the elite Japanese players kick out some awesome videos, I hope that will generate enough interest for a proper Black Label arcade release.

EOJ

My score archive

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on November 28, 2010, 11:20:52 PM
You'd still need arcade ops willing to buy a BL.

Yeah it probably won't happen, but word of mouth.. internet videos.. interest from the public..  OPs buy in, etc.

I'm anxious for move videos.  The original release did not translate to video all that well, but I keep reading about Western people that enjoyed SP's board when he loaned it out.  The video Cave released when the LE was on sale, plus this SIN video make the game look like a blast.

THE

The future is 2D

SuperPang

GaijinPunch

I only peaked in one of the boxes to make sure the receipt wasn't in there, and promptly put it all back.  Had the option to play, but it was just too nicely put together for me to disrupt it. :)

TonK

Quote from: brentsg on November 18, 2010, 11:45:37 PM

Scenario 2: 

Cave:  Hey look, the elite collectors are loving this Limited Version of AK!!!
Cave:  Release a Black Label!!!

Fixed.

TonK

Quote from: SuperPang on November 29, 2010, 07:55:15 AM
Awww, spoilers.
Looks fantastic!

I can't wait to see this thing... Please post some pics when you get yours.

TonK

You knoW what. I actually don't like it.

I mean, it looks nice, but not my cup of tea.

Just too much stuff.

Congrats on snagging one though.

I'm sure the collectors will like it.

Loose PCB for me.

SuperPang

I should finally have mine tomorrow after several scary days in tracking limbo. Will post some impressions.

SuperPang

I've had about an hour with it. Some stuff I noticed that I don't think was mentioned:

- The lack of orbiting gold noticeably reduces slowdown, it has a little more pace to it (outside Ninja mode at least, it still struggles with all the bullets).
- Enemies seem to give you more energy to collect but the Ninja gauge empties much quicker than before.
- Holding energy over bullets with your option significantly slows them down. Wasn't expecting that.
- Laser hits don't give you energy any more!
- Sometimes bosses give you a massive energy bonus, I think it might be when there are lasers on screen?
- Characters are rebalanced with minor tweaks. I use the first guy and his option can sit further out.
- There are more bullets and slightly altered enemy placements in the previously dull areas.
- It's really hard to get large gold.
- Pressing left and right during the demo sequence selects your level for white mode. Press A to select red mode starting level.
- Red mode seems like White mode plus suicide bullets and some epic bullet patterns on the bosses. I think SIN meant it literally "looks" like an Ultra mode because it's not nearly as difficult. It does put the game somewhere nearer your average Cave difficulty though and is a heap of fun.

brentsg

So you going to write a strategy article now, seeing as you can cover both versions of the game?   :righton:

Also, did you wear white gloves when you opened the box?

SuperPang

I'm hoping SIN uploads a superplay tbh because my previous scoring technique just aint cutting it :laugh:

THE

The future is 2D

SuperPang

One more thing I forgot to mention: Losing a life doesn't extend your Ninja gauge any more. This combined with quicker energy depletion, harder to reach extends and unfriendly lasers should make it far less of a cakewalk, although I am finding the last couple of areas easier. I think they may have removed some of the bullets from the more mental sections or something.

skykid

I really enjoyed AK, I'm looking forward to a port of this more than MMP/PS and DFK. It would be a bit of a kick in the balls to include the limited version after having people shell out for it (being limited and all), but I hope it's there anyway.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: skykid on December 07, 2010, 11:30:38 AM

I really enjoyed AK, I'm looking forward to a port of this more than MMP/PS and DFK. It would be a bit of a kick in the balls to include the limited version after having people shell out for it (being limited and all), but I hope it's there anyway.

Limited version included in the eventual port would be amazing. Having only watched vids of AK, I'm psyched to be able to play it when I'm in Japan this April.

SuperPang

Quote from: skykid on December 07, 2010, 11:30:38 AM
It would be a bit of a kick in the balls to include the limited version after having people shell out for it (being limited and all),
It wouldn't bother me really. I don't sell my PCBs when the ports come out and I doubt anyone else dumb enough to fork out for AKLV has the sense to do that either.

In fact I'm not even sure why I get hype for the ports when I play them for about an hour and then shelve them because it's not quite the same in the living room.

I suspect we'll finally see a challenging version in the port though. SH-3 just aint up to it, even in red mode.

brentsg

I think they'll include the LE version in the port and it shouldn't upset buyers.

I mean part of the LE is simply the fan service and the limited nature of the PCB, though I really wonder how many of the arcade 1.0 release exist. 

The ports are great and all, and in some cases I think they're superior due to the arrange modes.  I parted with Ketsui for the port, no regrets..  and just did the same with DFK.  But in both cases I really wasn't playing the PCB much anyways.  Futari BL and DFK BL I wouldn't part with no matter how good the ports are.  Favorites need to be played in a proper cab, without all the console adapter fussiness.

brentsg

Quote from: SuperPang on December 07, 2010, 12:37:06 PM
I suspect we'll finally see a challenging version in the port though. SH-3 just aint up to it, even in red mode.

SP, is the "white" version of the game the same as arcade 1.0 or is it different too?  I'm unclear whether both modes are arranged or just red.

skykid

Quote from: SuperPang on December 07, 2010, 12:37:06 PM
In fact I'm not even sure why I get hype for the ports when I play them for about an hour and then shelve them because it's not quite the same in the living room.

You know what, I really hate that this is so true.  :(
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

EOJ

Get a cheap used RGB CRT monitor (not hard to find in the UK, I'd think), get an RGB cable for your X360. Problem solved. The ports look fantastic on an RGB CRT, and zero lag.
My score archive

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on December 07, 2010, 02:14:07 PM
Get a cheap used RGB CRT monitor (not hard to find in the UK, I'd think), get an RGB cable for your X360. Problem solved. The ports look fantastic on an RGB CRT, and zero lag.

Or better yet, play them in a cabinet. I know you have the means, SuperPang, and I won't rat you out to kernow.  :laugh:

Monouchi

Quote from: emphatic on December 07, 2010, 02:19:22 PM
Quote from: EOJ on December 07, 2010, 02:14:07 PM

Or better yet, play them in a cabinet. I know you have the means, SuperPang, and I won't rat you out to kernow.  :laugh:

+1

I just Tri-synced one of my Egret II = x360 vga cable straight in.
The HD modes in the ports looks amazing on 31kHz CRT and beats LCD any day.