Aa Mujou Setsuna [JP DSiware, Arika[Mihara]/Nintendo, 2009]

Started by EOJ, June 16, 2009, 05:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Pretty big news. Mihara (Arika programmer/producer) is recruiting players to help in the development of an "Original Shooting Game", to be released by Arika.
He is looking for top scorers.

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid809.html

There is no mention of the platform for this shooter, or whether it is just a Cave port or a modified version of a Cave game.

More details to follow!

EDIT: 9/10/09 - Added the actual title of the game to this thread.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Ast-Kot

あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

necpmf

Huh, that's interesting. Not sure what to expect though. On one hand, Mihara is (apparently) a big Cave fan, and definitely a perfectionist, but on the other hand, Arika is pretty mediocre when it comes to original games...

EOJ

Mihara has extensive experience with Cave games, and all their Cave ports/remixes were stellar.
I don't think he'd release a shooting game unless it was pretty good.
My score archive

THE

Hey, great news!

While I don't know how Mihara is related to the Toaplan/Cave familie he has a good reputation what I heard so far. I really hope it's not for NDS though...

If I would be him, I would employ IKD, the former Toaplan GFX staff, Namiki for the music and create this game for SH-3.

Btw, does he speak english? I have seen his email in his blog profile  ;)

The future is 2D

GaijinPunch

The only games that Arika have put out that has required perfection is Tetris Grand Master and the Cave ports.  The rest appeal to the casual side of things.  I'm quite interested.  I'm also hoping he gets some good input from IKD at various boozefests.

fuse

Quite interesting news, will be interesting to see this. Hate to say it but whilst I totally respect the Arika ports of Galuda/DOJ, when I hear their name I do still first think of Street Fighter EX - will be nice to have a better original title to associate with them :)

gsl

So after a bit of sketchiness with a Western player (MrMonkeyMan?) submitting scores to Mihara's Ketsui DS competition, I wonder if he's really looking for top scorers, or just top Japanese scorers?  :whyioughtta:

ave

I am quite excited about this. Let's hope it's an original new Cave-like or even Cave-shooter without polygons.
東亜プラン4ライフ

charlienash87

Quote from: gsl on June 17, 2009, 01:38:24 PM
So after a bit of sketchiness with a Western player (MrMonkeyMan?) submitting scores to Mihara's Ketsui DS competition, I wonder if he's really looking for top scorers, or just top Japanese scorers?  :whyioughtta:

Beat me to it :laugh:
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

HVL

So, as revealed at the matsuri, the platform will be DSi. Does this mean it simply won't run on older models of DS?

I'm perfectly happy with my Lite and have no plans to get the DSi unless this turns out to be very epic, which is doubtful.

adverse

Me too, not a DSi fan.  Mihara has so far on his blog not confirmed whether it will be DSi ware, i.e. a DLC game, just that it is somehow a DSi exclusive.  He might post up some more info/clarifications in the next couple days since he promised a rundown of what he said at the Matsuri.

gsl

Quote from: HVL on August 21, 2009, 06:02:26 PMI'm perfectly happy with my Lite and have no plans to get the DSi unless this turns out to be very epic, which is doubtful.

Can't really put it any better than that.  The DSi is some neat hardware with pretty impressive potential (so was the 32X, hah!) but I've yet to see any software for it that's a must-have.  We'll see what the future holds, of course.  Not to say that Mihara's effort wouldn't help sway me, but it'd better be pretty darn impressive.

EOJ

I think this is great news as I love the DSi and hate the DS. The only problem is if it's a JP DSiware download title (as it probably will be), because those are region locked, and I'd have to buy a Japanese DSi to play the game.
My score archive

adverse

Only chance I'll pick up a DSi is if this game is great (good chance I think) and a new exclusive DSi Castlevania comes out.

Megalixir

Is it possible to download DSiware (or whatever) outside of Japan, or is it restricted to credit cards only?

Maybe I have my expectations a bit high, but I'm expecting something like Judgment Silversword.

adverse

HVL

Quote from: Megalixir on August 22, 2009, 06:57:10 AM
Is it possible to download DSiware (or whatever) outside of Japan, or is it restricted to credit cards only?

There are cards with Nintendo points which are suitable for DSi/WiiWare. DSiWare is region locked but I don't know if there's any IP-blocking. I highly doubt it.

HVL

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/k59j/index.html

Apparently it's titled あぁ無情刹那 / aa mujou setsuna.

- DSiWare as speculated (and therefore region locked to Japanese consoles)
- Will be available on 2009-09-02 for 500 points.

Scoring system based on chaining. :whyioughtta:

KOMA

Megalixir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWpk2EzTZ1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XEk4rPjb4

Reminds me of Ketsui and a bit of Galuda.

Not a big fan of handhelds though, $250 just to play this is a bit much even for my tastes.

charlienash87

Quote from: HVL on August 28, 2009, 11:35:19 AM

- DSiWare as speculated (and therefore region locked to Japanese consoles)

he doesn't have to worry about foreigners (MMM) getting the high scores now
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

fuse

Anyone grabbed this yet? I know it's available as I've seen someone posting impressions on NTSC-UK, but I'd be keen to know how the real Cave-heads get on with it. I'm going to grab it soon as I get the chance but my DSi doesn't like the encryption on my home network or the access point at work...

Megalixir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqlkul8ZkrQ

Credits to Khoa. He outright just mushi'd through some patterns there. But seriously what is going on here?

I don't think he posts here, but he showed me a picture of him being rank #1 on the leaderboards and being 1.1m above the rank #2 score. He claimed he hated the game at first but now he's loving it. Cave life.

adverse

Picked it up today at a Yodobashi camera DS terminal.  McDonalds did not work, I even tried another McDonalds down the street.  :laugh:

I like it, basically it's somewhat similar to Ketsui DS in that bombing is essential to scoring well, but sort of pasted over a Dodonpachi chaining system. 
I definitely see what EOJ was saying about the better D-pad on the DSi.

Hope there's a bunch of unlocks though.  I'm sure we'll be rewarded with a surprise as things unlock, like Deathsmiles 2.  :-X

fuse

Whoops. I didn't realise until last night that the error message it was giving me was telling me that you can set up WPA under the advanced settings menu.

Tried this last night very briefly, and enjoyed it. Not sure how I'll get on with the scoring hook (I suck at tactical bombing), but presentation-wise I like it, and it doesn't take long to really get going, making it pretty ideal for short bursts here and there.

As it was my first time using the DSi shop, I got it with my freebie initial 1000 points too - awesome :)

Megalixir

So the general consensus is that it's good?

I'd have to hunt down a DSi though. A Japanese one. Which means troubling someone again while I already have a DS Lite. Maybe in a few weeks.

EOJ

I'd buy a Japanese DSi to play this, but I don't have wireless internet at home, or at my office, and wifi spots are nearly impossible to find in Kyoto, for some bizarre reason. I don't feel like wandering around the city with my DSi in hand trying to pick up a signal. So if I do buy a JP DSi, I'll have to wait until I move back to Hawaii next year to download the damn game.
My score archive

adverse

Yodobashi camera has a terminal specifically for downloading DSi games fyi. 

BTW, I posted up on Mihara's blog about whether the game might come to NA etc. because some gamers outside of the country were talking about it.  He didn't answer my question and instead asked where people were talking about it, so he probably wants to gripe about people outside the region playing it like he did with Ketsui DS.  Bleh, nevermind.  Guess we'll have to wait for an announcement from Nintendo.

EOJ

Is there a Yodobashi in Kyoto? Haven't seen one in my wanderings around town.

Mihara is a real Japanese nationalist. Good thing he doesn't have Asada's job.
My score archive