Games that require suicides for optimal scoring

Started by EOJ, October 09, 2019, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I'm trying to make a complete list of all CAVE games that require at least one suicide purely to optimize score. Here's what I have so far:

-Daifukkatsu Black Label (Strong style, not Power style -- not sure about Bomb style)
-Daifukkatsu 1.5 (Bomb style, not Strong or Power style)
-Ibara
-Ibara Kuro Black Label
-Muchi Muchi Pork (1-ALL route, and only in the second loop of the 2-ALL route)
-Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
-Pink Sweets (only after triggering Infinite Lives. If playing a non-Infinite lives run, no suicides are required for scoring)

Let me know if I missed anything, or if anyone wants to discuss the details of these required suicides.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Plasmo

Donpachi
When you get the capacity bonus on 2-4, you have to suicide at the beginning of 2-5 to lower rank. Otherwise some chains are impossible to get.

EOJ

I watched a video by H.J (Deathsmiles Canyon route with Rosa), and he suicides at the end of the fifth stage to get a full bomb stock. So, I guess we can add in this game, at least with Rosa, as long as H.J remains the WR holder with Rosa.
My score archive

EOJ

It looks like I will have to scratch DFK 1.5 Strong style from the list. In the latest JHA update, the player PAG got 912 billion with A-Strong. In the notes he says he went through the second loop at full rank 5. First, this is pretty amazing (in terms of difficulty/skill required). It also solves the mystery of how the crazy 970 bil score with B-Strong was achieved by t2. Second, it also shows you don't need to suicide to score optimally. Most players do suicide (and bomb before or on bosses) in order to lower rank at the end of each stage and keep the game more manageable in the second loop. Several scores in the 800-860 bil range have been achieved this way, with replays available to see how this is done. However, playing at full rank 5 is a different order of magnitude of difficulty, up there with the hardest CAVE games, and I'm not aware of any replays showing exactly how this is achieved.

My score archive

iconoclast

IIRC, in Deathsmiles II it's better to suicide on Satan Claws and milk his final attacks with the power up bullet cancel.