Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
CAVE Games / Re: The end all be all Cave Shwag thread
« Last post by SH4R4KU on March 31, 2021, 06:40:14 AM »
Those are actually pretty nice.
CAVE Games / Re: Welcome back!
« Last post by SH4R4KU on March 31, 2021, 06:38:34 AM »
Without new releases, as said above, this place is definitely more of an archive, with huge value, than an active community. However, I prefer forums over Discord for some information, as it's easier to follow etc. Discord is nice for chat, but for a proper discussion, is actually really useful to have more documented forum posts.

I'll be posting more, moving forwards, I just need to find the right sub forums to post :)
PCB / Re: U13 replacement for Cave CV-1000 PCB repair
« Last post by buffi on March 30, 2021, 03:40:27 PM »
Thanks.

Pretty big disclaimer that I’m a hobbyist, and I’ve only tested this on a few credits so far, but if your board is busted you dont really have much to lose!

Seems to work well so far, and hopefully all the documentation can help someone.
PCB / Re: U13 replacement for Cave CV-1000 PCB repair
« Last post by EOJ on March 30, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
Wow, that's pretty awesome!! Many thanks for your work on this.
PCB / U13 replacement for Cave CV-1000 PCB repair
« Last post by buffi on March 30, 2021, 03:20:07 PM »
Do you also have a stack of old Cave CV-1000 PCBs, and worry about the internal memory of the undumped CPLD at U13 going bad leaving you with an unusable board? Maybe you have a PCB which is already broken due to this?

The CPLD is programmed with device protection enabled, making it hard to dump its content. Luckily it's just a 44 pin device with not too many buses connected to it, so I went ahead and analyzed its behavior and programmed a compatible bitstream that allows you to burn any EPM7032AE CPLD and use that if the original one goes bad. This should allow you to repair a CV-1000 board where U13 has stopped working!

Information about exactly what the CPLD does, and how to make a compatible one for repair is available in this repo: https://github.com/buffis/cv1k_research/tree/main/U13_Research

The docs should be pretty thorough but let me know if you have questions.

NOTE: !!! THIS IS ONLY MEANT FOR REPAIRS FOR DUMB COLLECTORS LIKE ME.
PLEASE KEEP MULTI TALK AND THAT KIND OF STUFF OUT OF HERE !!!

A couple updates!

Deathsmiles (NO EX) with Casper
505,465,998 - SPE

https://twitter.com/SPE2500/status/1372909230311624708

Muchi Muchi Pork - 2-LOOP with Ikuo
286,852,660 - NTSC-J, up to 2-5

https://twitter.com/julianjalapeno/status/1375420854389985291
« Last post by EOJ on March 28, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »
Thanks for keeping this place alive!

No problem! It'll be around until I'm old and gray and my joints ache too much to dodge the bullets. At that point, if there's any interest left, I'll give the site to someone else to carry on. That's my plan, at least.

First I've heard of these crazy lies. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Hopefully you're right. In any case I'm glad to have finally addressed these lies (I've known about them for many years) and publicly disproved them.
« Last post by Third_strike on March 28, 2021, 12:34:38 PM »
Thanks for keeping this place alive!
« Last post by SuperPang on March 28, 2021, 07:39:09 AM »
First I've heard of these crazy lies. I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think you're right that the community is spread more thinly these days, but it's mainly because when the forum started, CAVE were releasing around two arcade games and/or two ports a year. Different times.
« Last post by EOJ on March 27, 2021, 11:50:39 PM »
Cheers, fellas (and any gals, if you're out there). =D

A common theme is "it's a great resource". I am glad for that, but I hope it will again be a "great, active community", like it was back in the day. Unfortunately, it doesn't look to be moving in that direction. No matter what I do, I'm not sure the site can compete with twitter, youtube and the discords these days! The internet is survival of the fittest, and after a certain point there is not much you can do to push back against the inertia.

There is someone named Starcreator who has lied about me for years on Neogaf and Resetera in long tirades. Some insane story that I banned him in 2012 before I shut down the site, for no reason at all, and thus I am a 'tyrant' and a terrible person. If you check his post history here, you'll see that's not true (and anyone around here in 2012 knows it's not true). He was posting here right up to the end. I had no problem with him in 2012. He seemed nice and his posts were good. He's not even banned here, even after I read this garbage! That's because I sorta feel bad for him. Anyone who makes up a bunch of lies about some nobody (and in the grand scheme of the internet, I'm a nobody) and spends their time posting these lies on large web forums has some serious problems. Anyway, I have a hunch crazy lies like this have been spread and pushed people away from the site. So I'm just setting the record straight here in case anyone cares to know the truth.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on the negative. I'll keep posting the same content I always have, and welcoming any members (new or old) to join in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10