General site requests (for improvements, modifications, etc)

Started by EOJ, October 17, 2010, 09:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphatic

Pheew. Not accessing the site was kinda scary. Thank God it's just a new address.  :righton:

Medal

drunkninja

Would there be a way to set any currently-posted links to other topics/forums here to redirect to the new URL?  I'm not sure how that would work, since I'm sure EOJ would like to keep links posted outside this site from redirecting.  Just something I noticed clicking through links in a few other threads here.  Not a big deal since you can simply replace "forum" in the URL with "blacklabelver", but if there is a way, it would resolve a very slight annoyance.

kernow

Smileys broken or a WIP?

Oh, avatars gone too, damn, I never saved that image anywhere I don't think.

EOJ

Yeah, I just noticed the broken smileys in the message box. I'll try and fix that.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

Smileys and avatars are all fixed! Thanks for the heads up.
My score archive

JOW

Quote from: durango76 on October 26, 2010, 04:58:04 PM
I thought of this because I noticed the dots placed after "Member" - so it's an extension of that, plus I want to start posting more scores on this forum - even though they will be pretty crap to start with. Anyhow - ...loads of stuff

I agree that the high score threads are pretty inactive - I too intend to lead by example and post my crappy scores up here shortly.

Your idea of connecting the forums 'ranking' system to actual high scores would be a really cool feature and anything to increase high-score activitity is a plus in my book. But, as you say, there would be manual overhead for admin(s) unfortunately.
You could reduce the overhead a little by basing it purely on position in the tables (e.g. 3 stars for the top spot, 1 star if you are within the top five) and that would also mean direct competition between your peers - but it would still need managing of course.

Quote from: durango76the hi-score thread is viewable to non-members

...this is not the case anymore is it? Bit of shame really.

Quote from: emphatic on October 27, 2010, 06:41:49 AM
Pheew. Not accessing the site was kinda scary. Thank God it's just a new address.  :righton:
...this. I tend not to frequent 'off-topic' sections so the recent drama had totally passed me by  :laugh:

dan76

With regards to ranking linked to hi-scores - maybe a series of graphics could be made as signatures -  with different ranks, then, when you get to a certain level you upgrade your graphic. This way rank or star ratings wouldn't have to be awarded, members could upgrade and change their rank themselves.

As it's a closed forum so an element of trust would be involved, plus the scores are viewable for any kind of spot check.

The bulk of the work would be involved in deciding which modes of each game counts (personally I'd keep it to arcade modes) and then setting the score level. After that it could run itself... theoretically.
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

JOW

...ahhhh, I see. A self maintaining thing certainly sounds feasible.

bad-joey

OMG OMG! I didn't check my mail today and saw the airplane pic when I was trying to access the old url!
I'm so glad that the forum is online :-)

emphatic

It seems that many of the regulars here has no clue that the forums are back. Perhaps not everyone had the e-mail notification turned on? I hope this forum won't turn into a ghost town...

njiska

I just got a PM from brokenhalo on shmups asking about what happened. He still has an active account here.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

brentsg

I thought the plug had been pulled myself, apparently some issue with e-mail notification.

KOMA

Dave_K.

Quote from: emphatic on October 26, 2010, 01:23:37 PM
I'm working on it.  :cool:

Edit: I recreated the G by flipping a C upside down and blowing it up somewhat. The V is an A that's been shaved a bit, and the T is an L. :D The S was the hardest (you can probably tell), as it's a font that looked kinda like this one.

Great graphic, but something about it had been bugging me, and now finally I realized, the background DFK graphics have horizontal scanlines, when they should be vertical.  :lol:

emphatic

You're right, perhaps we can get EOJ to switch it out for this:

It does look better with vertical lines.  :righton:

EOJ

All 'steep slope sliders' and 'arcade is god' forum threads have been moved to off topic.
My score archive

EOJ

I've noticed most people don't have "Return to topics after posting by default" checked in their profile, under the Look and Layout section. For some stupid reason this is not a forum default, and I have no clue how to make it the default. If you haven't checked this box yet, do it. It will make the forums a lot more enjoyable to post on.
My score archive

SuperPang

Would anyone else prefer the forum link in the blog to open on the same page rather than a new window/tab?

EOJ

I had it that way originally, but thought people would prefer having it open in a new tab/window. Some other people have requested I change the "home" or banner in the forums to link back to the front page. Perhaps implementing both changes would appeal to the majority of users?
My score archive

Hive

oh cool, I can now reply to this thread. ^^

Well, I wanted to say that the favicon is perfect, and the banner is perfect.
I couldn't do that any better.

Also, I think Adverse would make an excellent MODERATOR here. =P
Although, it has been awhile since I've seen his post..
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

EOJ

He was a mod before, but then I got rid of all mods (because I didn't think they were necessary as I was running everything), and then he stopped posting a few months back, so I didn't include him in the current batch of mods.
My score archive

EOJ

OK, changes made: forum tab doesn't open in a new window on the front page, and the home button in the forums goes back to the front page. Do you guys like this?
My score archive

Aliquantic

EOJ

I'm trying to get the logo to link to either the front page or the forum index, but the damn thing doesn't want to work.  :whyioughtta:
I can't figure out where the heck to put the <a href> in, and this theme has some goofy code compared to the default SMF theme, so it's hard to find answers online. Will keep searching.
My score archive

EOJ

I changed the 'home' button back to the forum index, rather than the front page index. It started driving me crazy. When I figure out how to add a link to the banner, that will link back to the front page index.
My score archive

EOJ

OK, for the time being, I added another cave-stg logo at the bottom of the page, which links back to the front page.
My score archive

Hive

Quote from: EOJ on November 21, 2010, 12:13:41 AM
OK, for the time being, I added another cave-stg logo at the bottom of the page, which links back to the front page.

whoa, you outdid yourself with that one.
Even the play-asia.com banner is cool. :)
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

EOJ

It's another banner from emphatic.  :righton:

I really like that banner at the bottom of the screen, because it sorta looks like everything above is the screen of the cab. :)
My score archive