Akai Katana Shin [JP X360 - 5/26/2011]

Started by EOJ, February 18, 2011, 11:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chempop

I'm struggling with Shin mode.  Sure I can get far, but my score is so pathetic it makes me want to go back to Zetsu - which I find fun even when not having a great run.  Shin wants to b played so specifically, I'm just not great at all the calculating involved with when to use Katanas and how much meter I should fill etc.  Zetsu is far more straightforward in comparison.  I'm going to keep working on it, but I doubt I'll ever have a decent score in Shin  :(

Does anyone want to do me a favor and tell me what range the top 10 players have in Zetsu mode?  Doesn't have to be specific, I'm just curious if my 300mil is decent or if billions are possible.

EOJ

Top score in Zetsu is 1.07 billion with A-type. There's a 710mil score with B-type too.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Chempop

That's good to hear, I remember playing Deathsmiles and being able to beat it without much trouble, but it wasn't until much later that I was scoring in the billions.  AKS is definitely a game that will keep me coming back until I have a crazy score, maybe not 1bil, but 500mil would be nice.

I've completely gravitated toward using type-A, which was my least favorite in the beginning.  I like type-B's lock-on shot but not being able to fix the option in place is hard to get used to.  It seems that a lot of thought went into balancing out the ships, there doesn't seem to be a clear winner.

I've yet to try the quick refill by slowly switching shots, and I haven't got the hang of destroying things while reflected bullets  are near them after exiting Ninshen.  Lots of nifty tricks and techniques to master in this game.

lam47

I'm only just starting to spawn suicide bullets using shot. Like you are finding in Shin (with the katanas) Chempop; I am finding it hard to know when I should spawn suicide bullets for bouncing or if I should be using laser for gold.

lam47

I'm liking Zetsu a lot! Arcade has more slowdown which is good for me :) However the extra gold in Zetsu makes up for the lack of slowdown. I can't quite get the timing right for the energy suck trick. I tend to go and crash because I'm thinking about it too much. I just managed 47th but made a lot of stupid mistakes trying to press them big purple buttons correctly.
Still being above Sin on my friends board feels good :) until he has another go and quashes us all!

ohfivepro

This tip might be the equivilent of saying that holding down the fire button gives you a different type of shot so apologies if this is common knowledge but I only just worked it out - in Shin mode using focus shot (laser) when in plane mode does NOT keep a chain going, you have to use regular shots to keep the chain meter on the right of the screen from dropping, especially on bigger enemies - the complete opposite of virtually every other Cave game in history.

I always thought I lost the chain on the stage 2 midboss because I was timing it wrong but it's because I was using focus shot on him - if you want to build energy from a big enemy you need to hit it with regular shots every couple of seconds to keep the chain active.

Also, can anyone tell me how the chain counter relates to score in Shin mode? Is it directly related to your score ie. on 2 identical runs the player with a counter of 75 will have scored fractionally more than a player who only had 74 or is it more of a DFK thing where 0-1000 doesn't give a bonus, then 1001-2000 gives the 1st level of bonus, 2001-3000 the next level and so on?

lam47

You can keep the chain going so long as you only use laser for a couple of seconds before switching back to shot. So you can just finish off larger enemies with laser for energy.
I would be interested in how the overall counter affects scoring. I am guessing it's the gold multi.
I managed over 10000 chain on level two which was pretty cool. I know much higher is possible though.

ohfivepro

Quote from: lam47 on June 03, 2011, 04:05:29 PM
You can keep the chain going so long as you only use laser for a couple of seconds before switching back to shot. So you can just finish off larger enemies with laser for energy.
I would be interested in how the overall counter affects scoring. I am guessing it's the gold multi.
I managed over 1000 chain on level two which was pretty cool. I know much higher is possible though.

Do you mean over 10000? I'm sure you could do 1000 just by surviving for 30 seconds or so. I'm sure I'm normally at 2500 or so by the midboss and I've not really got a competent strategy for any of this stage yet.

lam47

I do indeed mean 10000. I missed off a 0!

ohfivepro

Quote from: lam47 on June 04, 2011, 05:10:08 AM
I do indeed mean 10000. I missed of a 0!

Don't you mean "missed OFF a zero" lol :P only kidding

lam47

Oh for Christ sake. What's wrong with me today!

Strider77

What is the deal with the audio options? I swear the soundtracks remain the same no matter how I change them?

lam47

Do you have to use the DLC card first? I have not used mine yet.

ohfivepro

If I swap the soundtracks over in the options it changes in-game but not in replays (other peoples, I haven't saved any of my own).

I guess the replays either use the soundtrack the original player used or they all just use the arrange soundtrack by default? I've not used the DLC card either if that makes a difference?

EOJ

Thanks for the soundtrack tips. Apparently they're pretty similar, I'll have to listen more closely.

I got a 180mil 1CC with Type C in Arcade mode last night, which was a great thrill. I've been playing Zetsu a bit this morning, got about 360mil, but I just don't find it as good as Arcade mode. I don't like the extra stage, it makes a run feel too long (due in part to the fact that the extra stage boss fight takes forever). And I prefer the more compact scoring of Arcade, with the 256 hit limit. I also don't like how they nerfed some aspects of Type-C, there's less slowdown in some boss patterns, and how laser damage has doubled. It's still good fun, but not on the same level as Arcade mode IMO.

In other news, top scores in Shin mode are fast approaching 4 billion, which is pretty interesting.
My score archive

emphatic

What do the options set to 2 and 100 do (right above the Wide Mode switch)?

EOJ

2 = Wallpaper select
100 = Wallpaper brightness
My score archive

Special World

Is there some way to increase the amount/value of green energy orbs you get from enemies in Shin? Can you hover your option over them to make them bleed energy or does that only work on bosses?

ohfivepro

Quote from: Special World on June 05, 2011, 04:25:33 PM
Is there some way to increase the amount/value of green energy orbs you get from enemies in Shin? Can you hover your option over them to make them bleed energy or does that only work on bosses?

Proximity when killing enemies and having other enemy shots on top of the enemies you kill increases the size of the E's that are released.

emphatic

HVL

Got the game today. Arcade mode is really fun. :righton:

It's like Deathsmiles II all over again, people badmouthing the game without having played it.

ookitarepanda

Ya know, overall, I give this game a  :righton: even though I just seem to blow up all over the place for some reason. I really like the soundtrack, especially for bosses, and stages 3 and 5. The colors are pretty effing amazing, and the hi-def modes bring that out; it's really cool to see the water moving in stage 2 in the background in Zetsu and Shin. Stuff like that is a really nice touch.

Shalashaska

I just got my copy this weekend too. I've only been playing arcade mode but so far I really like it. When the game debuted in the arcades I wasn't too excited (from watching the videos) due to the bullet reflecting but the system is pretty fun. I apparently suck though because I've only made it to stage 4 and people on shmups were saying they got the 1CC on their third attempt or whatever.  :'( The menus and overall presentation is really nice but not being able to enter your initials again made me  :facepalm:

EOJ

Shin mode leaderboards now have a 4.59bil score from kuchiniko up. Once again, no replay from the bastard.  :whyioughtta: It's a TLB clear, as indicated by the flashing "Stage ALL".
My score archive

HVL

What a fag. Well, SIN will probably beat it and have a replay up. :righton:

Icarus

Quote from: EOJ on June 11, 2011, 10:45:08 PM
Shin mode leaderboards now have a 4.59bil score from kuchiniko up. Once again, no replay from the bastard.  :whyioughtta: It's a TLB clear, as indicated by the flashing "Stage ALL".

It's on nicovideo.
That 630mil demo run that was doing the rounds is also by him, it appears.

moozooh

<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

Icarus

Unable to find it yourself?

st1+2: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14725370
st3: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14725831

The rest of it is still being uploaded, it appears. The rest should be appearing in the next few days.

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: Icarus on June 12, 2011, 05:33:28 PM
Unable to find it yourself?

st1+2: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14725370
st3: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14725831

The rest of it is still being uploaded, it appears. The rest should be appearing in the next few days.

Do you have to search in japanese on nicovideo? I haven't used it enough to know whether japanese is necessary. Thanks for the post though!