Main Menu

Tokyo earthquake

Started by EOJ, March 11, 2011, 03:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

8.9 earthquake happened just a bit ago. Are all the Tokyo-area members doing OK? We have a tsunami warning here in Hawaii because of the quake. It's supposed to hit at 2:59am.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

MikeNeko

Quote from: EOJ on March 11, 2011, 03:29:44 AM
8.9 earthquake happened just a bit ago. Are all the Tokyo-area members doing OK? We have a tsunami warning here in Hawaii because of the quake. It's supposed to hit at 2:59am.

It happened around 14:30, nothing major in tokyo area, i called my friends. The only problem is that means of transport were frozen, but otherwise it s alright. there is some damage, in gaz conducts and electric lines, causing minor fires specially in chiba and yokohama but the impact was not enormous.
The situation around sendai will be much darker, a 10 meters wave did some heavy damage there and people are missing.

The people there seem less worried than me who is in france atm, i just hope some miracle for sendai and that the 4 dead are the only ones.

edit: the deathtoll is climbing fast...  :( 59...

fuse

Keep us posted on your situation in Hawaii too EOJ

Everyone I know around Tokyo's been ok but I get the impression there's a lot of network / power outages

Stay safe everyone

MikeNeko

News from the authorities in Miyagi, the estimated toll is 200-300 dead.  :(
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20110311-OYT1T00956.htm?from=top

SP3RRFEUER

OMG im totally shocked!!! My thoughts are with the japanese people.
I think rewarding risky play with high scores is important. [Toshiaki Tomizawa]

supabok

I live in Tokyo and thankfully there wasn't much damage here! People were quite shaken up about this quake though. Of all the earthquakes I've experienced in Japan, this was the first one where I actually saw people leave the building and get to a safe area, i.e. a park or school yard. The quake was quite strong as I was on the 12th floor of a building in Shibuya and got shaken left to right as I tried to get out of the building through the stairwell.

Thank god they construct buildings like they do for this purpose. The damage and death toll would've been much higher if not for that!

I feel bad for the people of Sendai as the Tsunami that hit there was quite devastating!

EOJ

All is fine in Hawaii - the tsunami produced 3~7 foot waves (depending on the island). I think a few houses got damaged on the Big Island, but on Oahu, there was no damage to speak of.
My score archive

Van_Artic

bitkid

Even crazier is the nuclear reactor situation in Japan. When my friend read the news this morning he thought it was going to be like another Chernobyl. I think they have it more under control now though.

Shalashaska

cstarflare

GaijinPunch

Sorry -- hitting F5 on shmups/assembler/Facebook, forgot to come to OT here. :)
AFAIK, all the geek squad from the usual spots has checked in except for Magic Knight / an_tutar who actually does live in Miyagi.  So, fingers crossed for that guy.

EOJ

Yeah, hope Magic Knight is OK. Miyagi was battered.

Watching video of Sendai and Minamisoma was just unbelievable. Minamisoma was a town of 70K people (I use "was" on purpose here), but the video showed no wooden houses remained after the tsunami, all you could see was the outline of their foundation. The helicopter reporter kept looking for any people, but they couldn't find a single soul. 70K people! The news keeps reporting only 1000 are "dead or missing", but that number is going to skyrocket pretty soon.
My score archive

Monouchi

This is so terrible.  :(
Spoke with some friends that were ok but still troubled by all the aftershocks...

MikeNeko

Now the toll is at 1400 dead and missing.  :(
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20110312-OYT1T00311.htm

Plus a nuclear powerplant has a spare diesel engine used for coolant pumping that has problems, if the two other engines have problems there will be a nuclear hazard. (cooling is mandatory even when the powerplant is shut down in this design).

edit: err... one of the main engines seem to have exploded... there seems to be nuclear fusion happening, the authorities had to release some contaminated steam to prevent the powerplant from blowing up (as you know steam creates void in the tubes which in turn decreases the absorption which increases heat which increases steam etc). The population has been evacuated around so there is no health hazard so far, they released so that the radioactivity is increased by 20 percent in the environment which is still sustainable without sequel... but still the pressure is not stabylized.

Japan should have used french design... we don t have such problems when we shut down -.-

Tesuman

I'm good.

Then again, I was away.

Everyone back at the crib is OK.

EOJ

This video of the tsunami rolling in (from ground level) is pretty unbelievable:

http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-snc6/81489/34/1605260179420_2624.mp4?oh=ac31b4d8738221641ba490396dc19636&oe=4D7F9F00&l3s=20110313100648&l3e=20110315101648&lh=0a6cfa5eeaecd6dc12abf

Particularly the part at the end where the houses start to drift away.  :'(
My score archive

jyumi

oh wow, that's really scary. That water just swept everything up, I mean it's pitch black. Where did you find that video?
youtube: Ghostezra
general: Tyjet Poison

MikeNeko

The toll is now 4700people dead or missing.
I hope it won t go any higher, but even then this is the worst catastrophe japan encountered since WWII.
There is a significant probability of an even stronger seismic event  in the next days (this is a classic warning, not to be alarming).

EOJ

My score archive

bitkid

I heard on NPR that there's about 50 people working at the nuclear plant trying to contain the situation. They said that even though these guys are wearing full body suits and breathing gear they are still sustaining possibly lethal levels of radiation. That's so insane heroic shit. These guys are brave as hell.

emphatic

Magic Knight is OK. He's posted at Arcade Otaku today.  :righton: