Main Menu

The Mame Game - SH3 version

Started by EOJ, October 21, 2011, 05:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

So most of you probably know the SH3 games have been emulated in recent MAME builds. I tried out the games and they're basically unplayable because so much slowdown is missing or the speed is goofy. Nice for a quick preview, but not something you can play for score. Music is missing too, but that's not as big of a deal. Oh well.

Personally I don't think these games should have been released in MAME now because Cave is still selling most of the X360 ports. If you do play these games in MAME, but kind enough to buy new copies of the ones you like to support Cave. :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

HVL

Quote from: EOJ on October 21, 2011, 05:27:39 AM
Personally I don't think these games should have been released in MAME now because Cave is still selling most of the X360 ports. If you do play these games in MAME, but kind enough to buy new copies of the ones you like to support Cave. :righton:

I'm all for preserving classic games but it's way too early in SH3's case. It's still CAVE's main platform and they make profit out of SH3-based games.

As the games are now, there's no problem in my opinion. But if/when the games work perfectly, it's nothing but plain piracy. We all know most people won't even think about buying them legally.

Maybe this will encourage CAVE to develop a true successor to SH3. :righton:

TimingTripod40

I only tried original Mushihimesama and it seemed pretty well emulated outside of the lack of sound and I don't see a problem with emulating it as it's only available on PCB or a supposedly inaccurate PS2 version. Can't really speak for the other stuff but even with the port I think having save states could be very helpful in getting higher scores in stuff like Futari 1.5 Ultra.

Let_It_Be

Yeah this really has potential to hurt Cave, but their ports still have arrange modes and often HD visuals going for them, so I don't think it will stop most fans from picking up the ports who had intended to before these became playable in MAME.

Kaneda

I tried out the games and they're basically unplayable because so much slowdown is missing or the speed is goofy. Nice for a quick preview, but not something you can play for score.

I think they're very playable and better for practicing high score runs in that you have save-states. MMP's port doesn't even let you start at the bosses in practice mode. I won't be submitting any scores with it for the time being, but it will definitely help getting strategies down to use on the PCBs.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with it and don't think Cave will lose much with the currently emulated games. Everyone who wanted Futari or MMP probably already bought it, and those that haven't would probably be buying the games second-hand anyways (although the Platinum releases are now sort of useless). It also kills any chances of Futari getting released domestically, which sucks for someone, but I still think the fans that bought the ports in the past will continue supporting them and will continue buying their overpriced underwear and chopsticks.

spl

Sound is now emulated in the latest builds. :)

You do need a really fast PC to run these properly however.

EOJ

Yeah I can see the use in practicing bosses, but I never use save states (nothing against them, it's just not my style). Then again, I don't really enjoy playing any games in MAME, even games like Ketsui which are pretty accurate in it. I'd much rather play the ports or just stroll down to my local arcade.

If they get Deathsmiles II in MAME with good slowdown emulation, I'd probably play that more than the port. That's about it.
My score archive

Monouchi

Once I walked in Mame-thoughts, was going to play shooters through a nice Mame setup where I could have all the shooters and I wished for the SH3 games to be put in mame.

Then I bought my first cave PCB....
Oh my god.... no loading, no hassle, instant start, speed/sound etc etc works perfectly and the resolution is spot on as it should be. (Played in a Egret 2 cab.)

After that I scrapped the Mame-idea all together, **** all that hassle with computers, resolution, The PCB experience was awesome and is where i will stay and my collection is growing.

I also enjoy the 360 ports, heck the one Cave game I play the most is 360 Futari BL with its fantastic HD visuals.  :righton:

clp

So most of you probably know the SH3 games have been emulated in recent MAME builds. I tried out the games and they're basically unplayable because so much slowdown is missing or the speed is goofy.

Assuming your pc is powerful enough the speed is not "goofy" at all the only thing missing is slowdown so yes you can play for score but it is going to be more difficult . However mushi original modes are definitely better without slowdown so if nothing else i welcome it for that.I think its a good thing as it guided me to buy games that are actually good ie mushi and espgaluda 2 and skip on buying deathsmiles which is just so retardedly easy even without slowdown and muchi pork which i found to be a massive disappointment and left me hoping even more for a ibara + kuro release someday.

EOJ

Quote from: clp on October 24, 2011, 04:31:09 AM
Assuming your pc is powerful enough the speed is not "goofy" at all the only thing missing is slowdown so yes you can play for score but it is going to be more difficult .

No, not "more difficult" to score. It's impossible to score as high (many scoring tricks/techniques are impossible without the slowdown) - big difference. It will be "more difficult" to 1CC.

My score archive

TimingTripod40

Quote from: clp on October 24, 2011, 04:31:09 AM
and skip on buying deathsmiles which is just so retardedly easy even without slowdown

Somebody hasn't tried the gorge or the castle with death mode.

EOJ

The scoring system is also fun in that game. Everyone should give it a good try.
My score archive

TheSoundofRed

If anyone is interested I compiled the most recent version of mame for OS X. Know that due to an SDL error you cannot use fullscreen, so change your mame.ini settings to windowed before using, or use the command line -window option before running mame in Terminal.

cheers!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=72MAZ21G

HVL

Not buying the nearly flawless Deathsmiles port and taking the slowdown-less MAME version over it? Thank you for the laughs.

I tried Futari 1.0 (which has relatively little slowdown) and all I can say, until the slowdown caused by hardware is programmed in (good luck with that!), the MAME versions aren't any better than the messed up PS2 ports of Ibara and Mushihimesama.

The sound quality and graphical glitches are not even problems compared to that.

Wake me up when Ibara Kuro Black Label runs perfectly. :cool:

Tain

I'm pumped for slowdown emulation to be added. My PC's ready for it (or, man, I hope it is), but I've got enough to play with the ports for now.

p1pkin

Quote from: Tain on October 24, 2011, 05:52:36 PM
I'm pumped for slowdown emulation to be added. My PC's ready for it (or, man, I hope it is
I don't think so, slowdown emulation breaks speedhacks currently used in MAME, and PC requirements for fullspeed emulation will be too high (unless you have some 6Ghz overclocked liquid nitrogen cooled Core i7 CPU :) )

But in general emulation have its benefits. For example was found some unknown unlock code in MS Futari Black Label.
   Insert a coin, then at the title screen:
   1P: Hold B
   2P: Enter B, B, Down, Down, C, Up, A, C, Left, A, Right, B

Anyone have any suggestions for what it for ?
and don't try it on PCB, this unlock code sets value in game rom (like Deathsmiles does) and can't be reverted.

EOJ

Some things may be better left unknown. Imagine if some guy went around arcades in Japan putting that code into all the Futari BL cabs!  :o
My score archive

Tain

Quote from: p1pkin on October 24, 2011, 07:34:52 PM
Quote from: Tain on October 24, 2011, 05:52:36 PM
I'm pumped for slowdown emulation to be added. My PC's ready for it (or, man, I hope it is
I don't think so, slowdown emulation breaks speedhacks currently used in MAME, and PC requirements for fullspeed emulation will be too high (unless you have some 6Ghz overclocked liquid nitrogen cooled Core i7 CPU :) )

I bought an i7 2600k instead of a reasonable processor pretty much solely because of emulation. come at me MAME.

Really though, I wouldn't be too shocked if it still wasn't enough for slowdown emulation, after reading some of Haze's posts on shmups.

Monouchi

Futari Black Label.

Scary stuff.  :P

Kaneda

I put in the code and heard Reco make a noise but didn't notice anything different. Has anyone tried it on the port?

Orochi S

Quote from: Kaneda on October 25, 2011, 04:01:31 AM
I put in the code and heard Reco make a noise but didn't notice anything different. Has anyone tried it on the port?

I tried this on the port, but nothing happened. What is the code supposed to do?

KOMA

So,is there any chance by burning the 2 eeproms gu-u0127b.bin gu-u0129b.bin on an original Guwange board it becomes a Guwange Blue Label?

rtw

Quote from: KOMA on October 25, 2011, 05:48:42 AM
So,is there any chance by burning the 2 eeproms gu-u0127b.bin gu-u0129b.bin on an original Guwange board it becomes a Guwange Blue Label?

Try it :D
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

KOMA

emphatic

Muchi Muchi Spork

Let_It_Be

I honestly think it's for the best, it was simply way too soon, especially since we don't know if Cave has even moved past the SH3 hardware yet.

DJ Incompetent

But in general emulation have its benefits. For example was found some unknown unlock code in MS Futari Black Label.

Anyone have any suggestions for what it for ?
and don't try it on PCB, this unlock code sets value in game rom (like Deathsmiles does) and can't be reverted.
The word on the street now is this code lets players fight Spiritual Larsa in God mode without completing the requirements.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=742893#p742893

cstarflare

Interesting, and kind of concerning from a scoring perspective.  Don't you get double the clear bonus if you trigger Spiritual Larsa? Does that still happen with the code entered?

Has anyone tried to put it in on Deathsmiles or Daifukkatsu BL?