The Stuff You've Bought thread (with pictures, ideally)

Started by EOJ, May 15, 2008, 02:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammaparts

zakk

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: EOJ on July 27, 2008, 07:28:26 PM
Tears to Tiara (JP PS3). Only played about a half hour, but seems like a good story-driven SRPG.
What is a SRPG ?

Is this game supposed to come out later in english ? I'd like to play some good PS3 RPGs, and I dislike Folklore.

EOJ

SRPG=strategy rpg. Probably won't come out in English, but I guess there's always a possibility.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jpj

SSFIIX board.  cps2 stuff is a fair bit of hassle though...   :-\

toby

Two HRAPs, and old HRAP1 that I'm gonna try to put a seimitsu stick in and a HRAP:SA which I mainly bought cause it was quite cheap :) Was looking for a HRAP:SE but those things aren't cheap ...

KOMA

A brand new DS silver and Ouendan 2  :righton:

EOJ

Tengai Makyou Collection and Tengai Makyou 4 for the PSP

TM 4 is wonderful (even better than the original Saturn version), and the TM collection is neat as I've never played the PC Engine games.

Also, I got a silver slim ps2 modded with a Crystal Chip lite v1.2.  :righton:
My score archive

gsl

Quote from: elf on August 01, 2008, 12:51:58 PM
[Etrian Odyssey II]
I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon.  I've heard enough reviews from the kind of people whose reviews I respect that the original was good, but I don't feel like shelling out the $40+ it commands on eBay these days.  I suppose I could have just bought EOII from the local Gamestop but I don't feel like going there any more than I can help.  Super Saver Shipping to the rescue!

Maybe I can finally finish Izuna in the meantime.

adverse

Quote from: toby on July 29, 2008, 08:20:56 PM
Two HRAPs, and old HRAP1 that I'm gonna try to put a seimitsu stick in and a HRAP:SA which I mainly bought cause it was quite cheap :) Was looking for a HRAP:SE but those things aren't cheap ...

So I have an HRAP 3 which I put a Seimitsu stick in and am not happy at all with it...did you wind up modding yours?  How do you like it?  My Seimitsu is really stiff and gets me in trouble on console versions of really precise danmaku shmups.  Gonna swap it out for a Sanwa soon, I want my HRAP3 to feel like what they've got in the arcades here in Japan.

toby

I haven't modded it yet, I'm pretty happy with the HRAP:SA i bought, feels a bit tighter than my old HRAP. One of the main reason I bought them was that my old one got "stuck", it would keep moving even though the stick was centered, I thought it was micro-switches that was worn out or something, but turns out it was my ps2 to pc adapter that did it.

elf

Quote from: gsl on August 10, 2008, 12:32:10 AM
[Etrian Odyssey II]
I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon. 

How much have you paid for yours?
To be true i only digged in it once, and didnt play it any further these days, so all i can say up to now is, that it is the most beautiful game on the DS, but nothing to the storyline/gameplay itself.
I'll be dedicating to it after i'm finished with Xenosaga, promised  :rolleyes:

gsl

Mine was just the standard $29.99, with free shipping.  I probably could have gotten it a bit cheaper, but I don't like to buy used DS or GBA games off of Amazon or eBay with the amount of Nintondo counterfeits there are floating about.

innerpattern

I've picked up a HRAP3, Metal Slug and Gradius Collections for PSP recently. Haven't purchased much in the way of gaming lately but with the frigid alaskan winter quickly approaching I'll be spending more time indoors, thus the gaming activity will increase!
Quote from: jammaparts on July 28, 2008, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: jaycm1 on June 30, 2008, 01:42:25 PM
just brought death smiles kit

I wish I could say that!

Me too! Hope to be in about a month!

gsl

Etrian Odyssey II came today, and I gave it a shot.  The reviews aren't joking when they say the game is balls-hard; my party got completely slaughtered by my fourth enemy encounter.  It's pretty fun though, in that "oh NOW I know what I did wrong.  Let's try again!" sort of way.

elf

so i wasnt the only one who thought, that the first battles kinda were a bit too tough  :P

markedkiller78

I never played the first one, but do love old school RPGs. Would I be better to pick up the original or go straight to the sequeal?

I play my handhelds more than anything else thanks to the 2 hour commute on the bus each day.

gsl

I've never played the original, though I'm going to keep my eye out for it if I can find it for under the $40+ most Atlus titles tend to command.  The game's a sequel in the gameplay sense but not so much in the way of storyline (not that there's much anyways), and I've never really felt like I'm missing something that was explained in the first one.

The first handful of battles are indeed a bit tough; basically you're thrown in one end of the first maze and told to make your way back to the entrance, while of course mapping out everything along the way.  With limited chances to heal and whatnot, it's a bit tough, but after you start figuring out your plan of attack in battles (As in which monsters to concentrate on first, which of your party is most effective in finishing the monsters off in a hurry, etc.) it gets a bit simpler.  The game is great for on-the-go, as you're never really stuck in any place you can't just save it and turn it off.  Besides, after you've finished the first quest, you're pretty much on your own, and the gameplay progression goes something like: go into first level; kill monsters until party is low on health and healing items; return to town to sell loot, buy weapons, and rest at inn; rinse and repeat.  It's nothing you'll be too sucked into that you won't want to bring it out on the bus for fear of being in the middle of something important when your stop comes.  All in all, I really like it.  The gameplay is very very oldschool and pretty challenging, but the graphics and music make it a pleasure to slog through the same dungeon numerous times.

----
I also picked up Castle of Shikigami III the other day for the Wii.  I remember giving it a go a few times in my local arcade in Japan, but always left it for the more familiar part II.  Now that I'm not paying to give it a shot, it's really a lot of fun--solid, and the same balance of difficulty and grazing opportunities.  Sadly (or gladly for some, maybe) the story translation and voice acting are actually reasonably decent this time around; I was always amused by the horror that was Castle Shikigami II's translation.  It put it in the same "so bad it's kinda funny" league as Plan 9 from Outer Space, in my opinion.

EOJ

Early birthday present to myself:

Third time's the charm?

My score archive

KOMA

The second time was good for me even if i pay more for a loose pcb than my old kit 2 years ago.

EOJ

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. Just a loose PCB, but it was only $815, so I'm happy. I only collect SH3 kits, so for everything else a loose PCB is all I want.
My score archive

jonny5

when you get tired of it this time sell it to me!!! :righton:

for around $800......pretty please =D

innerpattern

Raiden DX PCB, but I don't have a vert cab to play it on so it's taunting me from the shelf, safely hiding in bubble wrap.

elf

Forbidden Siren, after i sold it again i discovered that this game actually is the best survival Horror i ever played and immediately bought it again. I love it

I'm still waiting for Chrono Cross (for PSX) and Phantasy Star Online 3 (would've rather bought the first two, but i  had to get something cheap)

markedkiller78

Death Smiles & Muchi Muchi Pork arrived on Monday :)

I asked Gaijinpunch if he could get me either Death Smiles or MMP, the greatest mother fucker of all time sold me both!

I think he must be a salesman in his day job and a good one at that

drboom

Man, I've been on a console buying frenzy:

-Sega Saturn w/ import cart and Batsugun, Cotton 2 and DoDonpachi
-SNES w/Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Super Donkey Kong 2, Gokujou Parodius, Rockman 7, Super Mario RPG, and Darius Twin (already 1cc'd it - not nearly as hard as other Darius titles)
-NES w/ Castlevania III, Zelda II, Metal Gear, Star Soldier, Elevator Action and Wizards and Warriors II
-GBA player for Gamecube w/ Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion

Plus, I recently got Phantom Brave PS2 and Metroid Prime GC. Lots of console love this month!  =D

jpj

markedkiller78

Quote from: jpj on September 16, 2008, 03:03:46 PM
PROGEAR

the bitch is back 

:-X

Nice one jpj. I'm still looking to replace mine. I'm not keen on the current price though :(