Ketsui EX [JP X360] - April 22, 2010 release date confirmed

Started by EOJ, November 14, 2008, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

Quote from: EOJ on December 17, 2009, 07:39:58 PM
Well if they're showing it there, then it's almost done and Cave approves. Good news all around.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will be good though. :(

EOJ

Well, naturally. Cave also "approved" the DSMBL and MFBL ports.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

At this point I think many people would prefer to play the Ketsui port with DSMBL/Futari BL quality... than never.

EOJ

Considering Ketsui has comparatively little slowdown, I'm not as worried really. I actually hate Ketsui's slowdown on the PCB - it's choppy as hell.
My score archive

Monouchi

Gah! I am so pumped up for this port, I cant get enough of the boss music.
Right now I am playing Ketsui DS with the DS on full volume!  :P

I so hope they do something to fix the graphics, like scanlines.

...wouldnt it be strange to release a port without graphic enhancements/options now when all other ports go HD?

GaijinPunch

Yeah, that's the major put off.  I don't like the the arcade modes look (even in Futari w/ the filters, but that's probably since I haven't mucked around w/ them much) so I'd probably not like what Ketsui offered.

GaijinPunch

I also asked Asada his opinions on the Ketsui port and how it was progressing.  I specifically asked how faithful to the PCB it was, to which he replied, "about 70-80% right now".  I commented then that development was actually rather difficult to which he agreed.  He did say that, "we're finding ways to recreate [the PCB experience]" so that's always nice to hear.  Just sounds like they've got a ways to go.

professor ganson

Quote from: GaijinPunch on December 27, 2009, 06:40:45 AM
I also asked Asada his opinions on the Ketsui port and how it was progressing.  I specifically asked how faithful to the PCB it was, to which he replied, "about 70-80% right now".  I commented then that development was actually rather difficult to which he agreed.  He did say that, "we're finding ways to recreate [the PCB experience]" so that's always nice to hear.  Just sounds like they've got a ways to go.

Interesting.  I was half-thinking they had given up on porting this.

EOJ

According to this blog post:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/krakilin/e/531f7d469b497126c7886666f17fc529

The Ketsui port was impressive. The first two stages were spot on (you couldn't play beyond that), and there were zero loads between stages. The guy was amazed.

Due out in Spring 2010, so my bet's on April, about 2 months after EIIBL.
My score archive

JAPJAC

Quote from: EOJ on December 28, 2009, 09:06:07 PM
According to this blog post:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/krakilin/e/531f7d469b497126c7886666f17fc529

The Ketsui port was impressive. The first two stages were spot on (you couldn't play beyond that), and there were zero loads between stages. The guy was amazed.

Due out in Spring 2010, so my bet's on April, about 2 months after EIIBL.

Fantastic post, thank you very much EOJ for the translation.

I am confident that this port will be of the highest quality as it now has everything behind it in it's favour.

I look forward to contributing to this thread in the future if I can. 

Cheers.

EOJ

An interesting and slightly deranged post from Mihara about the current Ketsui port, in regard to people who wrote him who were concerned he would do something to block it from coming out again:

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid10392.html

I've translated the relevant section:

>360版ケツイをプレイされた方のコメント(非公開希望)

・・・関与しませんから安心して下さい。

当日遊ばれた方は楽しみにお待ちの方が多いと思います。
私見ですが、かなり『痘痕(あばた)も靨(えくぼ) 』だと思います。

・・・物議を醸し出す発言になるかもしれませんが、
正直に言うと私なら今の出来では絶対に発売はありえません。

が、そんな事を言うのは
どうやら全国で数名しかいないって事も事実です。

世間的に評価の高いふた虫の出来に関しても、
移植度と言う意味では私は出鱈目と酷評してます。

でも、最終的に『手にした』ユーザさんが嬉しいのであれば
そっちを優先した方がいいのではないでしょうか?

私が関与すると今の出来なら出ません、出させません(笑)。
なので関与する事はありませんからご安心下さい。

おそらく浅田さんがブログで書いた事(アドバイス等)を
心配されてるんでしょうけど、
三原は口先だけの生き物なので心配しないで下さい。

">In regard to comments from those who played the 360 Ketsui (I don't wish to make them public)

I will not participate [in the Ketsui port], so relax.

I think many people eagerly awaited playing [Ketsui] on the day of the festival. It's just my
personal opinion, but I think it's rather [full of] pockmarks and dimples.

I may incite hostile comments with this but if I can speak honestly, if it were up to me
I absolutely wouldn't be able to release this port for sale.

But, it's a fact that somehow or other such a point a view is only held by a [small] number of people throughout the country.

Even in regard to the Futari port which is highly valued throughout the world, as far as the port quality goes, I damn it for being
messed up [lit. "bullshit, unsystematic, random"].

However, in the end if the users who get the game in their hands are happy with it,
isn't making that a priority a good thing?

If I were to participate, this [ketsui port] would not come out, I wouldn't let it come out [laughs].
Due to that I will not participate, so relax.

While you've probably read what Asada wrote in his blog and got worried from that,
Mihara is a creature that is only mere words, so don't worry."

My score archive

hermosaguy

Mihara should head up all QC of ports, no questions asked!

EOJ

Then none of the ports would come out.  :laugh: He's a little insane, if you haven't noticed. I do appreciate and empathize with his verve for port accuracy, but remember this is the guy who had the Ketsui port basically perfect for the PS2 but didn't release it because he couldn't add a practice mode and might have needed some "in stage, streaming loading" (which Mushi PS2 has, and no one complains about that). This is why people were worried he would take part in this new Ketsui port, and then block its release due to some stupid issue at the last minute, once again dashing everyone's hopes.

On the other hand he had no problem releasing Ketsui DS. Like I said, a little insane.

My score archive

brentsg

I guess it makes for a decent discussion.  Shmups are a niche genre, and we're glad to see anything of quality released.  As such, getting a handful in the Japanese arcades annually is an awesome thing.  It simply may not be cost effective to produce a 95%+ port of these games due to modest sales.  If that's the case, is it then not worth porting them at all?

If that's the case, then I'd love to make the argument that PCBs are too expensive for the Western masses so I'd love to see the ports for this reason.  Unfortunately the number of people who will track down the ports outside of Japan ..  are probably insignificant in the big picture.

JAPJAC

'I absolutely wouldn't be able to release this port for sale.'

'If I were to participate, this [ketsui port] would not come out.'

I'm not sure if he really meant 'this port' as opposed to 'a port' which clearly makes all the difference so I have no idea what he is on about I'm afraid.  Any ideas?

EOJ

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 5pb port (i.e. the version that is planned for release). I'd like to think he's not so crazy as to want to block the release of any Ketsui home port.
My score archive

gsl

At least we know now (if anyone wasn't already convinced) that Mihara takes pride in his work.  Obsessive, exacting, minute pride.

GaijinPunch

He means "in the current state".  
Quote今の出来
^ that's the key.

This is right on par w/ Asada's comments, no?  I don't think this is anything to get all huffy about.

Tips hat to EOJ for the translation.

EDIT: Semi on topic.  I asked Asada if he had ever played the PS2 Ketsui.  He said he had not.

Megalixir

Quote from: gsl on December 29, 2009, 04:31:25 AM
At least we know now (if anyone wasn't already convinced) that Mihara takes pride in his work.  Obsessive, exacting, minute pride.

It isn't even his work. Mihara needs to shut up and let everyone enjoy Ketsui already. It sounds like he doesn't even want console owners to ever play the game because it's not identical to the arcade version which some people [10% of the buying audience] care about.

gsl

Yeah, I was going along with his statement of "if it were up to me."  I suppose that kind of mania is a good thing in ensuring that sloppy ports just don't happen (and therefore keeping the bar high for others), but at the same time it goes to a level of OCD perfection that as you say, a minute amount of people truly care about.  With as intense as Mihara seems to be about this, I'd be really surprised if even 10% of the audience really cares about the issues that obviously bug him.

I'm sort of curious as to what it's like to work with him--either the rest of the team is cut from the same crazy mode, or there must be even more stress-related breakdowns than normal.

emphatic

Quote from: gsl on December 29, 2009, 03:04:25 PMI'm sort of curious as to what it's like to work with him--either the rest of the team is cut from the same crazy mode, or there must be even more stress-related breakdowns than normal.

They're probably a bit fat from all the pies getting showed in their faces.

EOJ

Looks like there's going to be a LE:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00332G0HY/

No word on what is included in it yet. Amazon lists the release date as "Spring 2010", which we already knew.

Thanks to hirounder over at shmups.com for pointing this out.
My score archive

adverse

Mihara just compared the Ketsui port's accuracy to the DS Death Label version.  :laugh:

He says scorers will find it unacceptable, but that he respects 5pb for their determination to put it out.

Sheesh, that's taking it too far.  Dude still really has an axe to grind.

bcass

It's obvious he has an ongoing agenda here.  Probably understandable given how much effort was wasted in the aborted PS2 port.  I suppose he could be touting for work too to provide a "complete version" DLC as is being done with DOJBLEX.  Might be a lot less work than you'd initially think if they can re-use most of their PS2 code.

EOJ

He's full of shit. In that post he also says "it's hard to define a novice, but let's say if one liked the Futari port, then about 50% of those will also like the Ketsui port. For scorers, 99% of them will think the Ketsui port is no good (this is the same situation as with the Futari port)."

Uh, no. 99% of scorers don't think the Futari port is "No good".

@bcass: nah, he said he wants nothing to do with Ketsui EX and won't work on it even if asked. So he's not looking to do some "complete" version or whatever. The DDPDOJBLEX "complete" version was borne out of the fact the port was based on Arika code, and with a paid DLC complete version, Arika could get direct profits from the game.
My score archive

neomoe

I don't anything about Cave's org chart, and I don't really know anything about who developed what game/port etc...so perhaps what I am going to say will be totally sacrilegious...but someone at Cave should pull the stick out of Mihara's ass and put a muzzle on his mouth.

I mean, being a perfectionist and wanting to put out a quality product is one thing.  Being an asshole is another.  Guys like this take the fun out of gaming.

Monouchi

So, if we turn it around it will be:

I am a beginner scorer and I love Futari, so then I will love Ketsui too!
Good news.  =D

Actually, I am not worried about the Ketsui port, I just hope they put in some nice screen options to make it look good despite the low res.

gsl

People should start a campaign for Mihara to put out the aborted PS2 port.  After all, if the 360 version is such an abomination, even the wonky stage 5 scrolling should be infinitely better, right?  :laugh:

Megalixir

Quote from: gsl on January 08, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
People should start a campaign for Mihara to put out the aborted PS2 port.  After all, if the 360 version is such an abomination, even the wonky stage 5 scrolling should be infinitely better, right?  :laugh:

Mihara doesn't want pathetic console users to own Ketsui though~~~

EOJ

Amazon japan updated their Ketsui LE page:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00332G0HY

It says it comes with a guidebook. Perhaps similar in form to the one included for free with first print copies of DDPDOJBLEX? Hopefully it's something more substantial than that.

Also, it's currently ranked #5 among ALL games sold on Amazon japan, but earlier in the day it was ranked #1. Looks like there's a lot of interest in this port.
My score archive