Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

EDIT (3.11.2009): DS2's release date is set for Mid May 2009.

---------------
EDIT (2.1.2009): Official CAVE AOU 2009 blog is open, with some info on DS2:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2009/

--------------
EDIT (1.19.2009): Their next game is Deathsmiles 2:

http://www.cave.co.jp/ir/archives/ir/pdf/2009/ir090119.pdf

Announced on page 22 of that report. Info from http://am-net.jp/.

--------------

To be shown at the AOU show next month, Feb 20-21, 2009. Here's a map of the showroom floor showing the planned location of CAVE's booth:

http://am-net-blog.sakura.ne.jp/sblo_files/am-net/image/aou2009r.jpg

And here's a page confirming CAVE will have a new arcade title on display at the show:

http://www.am-net.jp/show/aou2009.html#list

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

hermosaguy

Thank you for the 'few week's heads up.  That way I won't wear out my F5 key (just yet) :)

dimmu--borgir

Can't wait. Can't wait to play (happens in two years or so when it is affordable  :mad: )

SuperPang

Yagawa's rumoured SH-4 based title perhaps :righton:

markedkiller78

Quote from: SuperPang on January 06, 2009, 08:03:56 AM
Yagawa's rumoured SH-4 based title perhaps :righton:

with mono sound no doubt  :rolleyes:

KOMA

Ketsui Daifukkatsu? =D
I'm curious to see if this is a new hardware and hope this is not a TaitoType X style.....

EOJ

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Ketsui 2. Yagawa may be gone for good, unfortunately...
My score archive

hermosaguy

Quote from: EOJ on January 06, 2009, 02:23:50 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Ketsui 2. Yagawa may be gone for good, unfortunately...

Based on the sales of his last titles?

EOJ

Yes. And he hasn't released anything in nearly 2 years.

If he's still at CAVE this upcoming game could be his, with Ketsui 2 to arrive later in the year.
My score archive

hermosaguy

Haha, someone should call over there and see if he is even in the company directory ;)

Pointman

A little off topic sorry but I'm guessing that admission to the AOU Show is as simple as just turning up on the day and buying a ticket on site?

EOJ

I think one day is for the press, the other day is for the public.
My score archive

Pointman

I'm hoping that the 21st is the public day, gonna get to Tokyo just in time for the show  :)

EOJ

Yes, it's the 21st. Hope you get to go and report back to us with all the juicy details.  :righton:
My score archive

Gwyrgyn

Got my fingers crossed for something awesome, but no more Yagawa would make me sad.

SuperPang

I seem to recall at the matsuri before last IKD saying Yagawa was working on something new. I would speculate its been so long either because a) it was canned and he moved on or b) its new hardware.

GaijinPunch

Could be both.  But everyone should realize that new hardware is always a big transition.

gsl

Quote from: EOJ on January 06, 2009, 02:23:50 PM
Yagawa may be gone for good, unfortunately yay...

Fixed that for you.  :laugh:

EOJ

See the first post. The game they are showing is Deathsmiles 2. If this is another Hori, I am not going to be too pleased.
I'm hoping for a vertical Deathsmiles.

Wonder if it's on new hardware? Also a bit strange that they're pumping out DS2 right after DS MBL. Isn't it a bit of an overload?
My score archive

zakk

It does seem a bit weird to turn around with DS 2 right now. That game must have done REALLY well

adverse

Quote from: EOJ on January 19, 2009, 09:03:48 PM
If this is another Hori, I am not going to be too pleased.
I'm hoping for a vertical Deathsmiles.

Seconded.  Majorly...

Jeez...Deathsmiles overload.  Original PCB, Black Label, 360 release...sigh.

I dunno, maybe it will get more people in the arcades though.  If it were a tate I wouldn't be really upset.  Hell I still haven't spent enough time with Daifukkatsu so...

EOJ

I'm wondering if their new hardware is hi res and since they have already ported DS to the X360 in "hi res", I'm wondering if that wasn't a test project for the real deal in this DS 2 arcade game. If it's another low res hori on SH3 hardware I'll laugh.

Anyone else think Yagawa is gone for good now?  :(
My score archive

gsl

Are all Japanese companies' investor relations reports so detailed (or available for free, for that matter)?  It seems a lot more open than places here in the states, where that kind of thing is--as far as I know--mostly limited to shareholders.

I'd be interested in another Deathsmiles, but I do agree they're pretty gung-ho about the property right now.  I wonder if this is an indicator of a creative slump or something--"Quick, we need something new to cash in on, lets milk more out of Deathsmiles!"  None of their other multi-installment properties seemed to have that quick of a follow-up.

Anyone know how they go about deciding the next project there?  Is it a collaborative thing, or basically up to the bigwigs to assign?

EOJ

Ikeda mentioned something about the higher ups asking him to make Daifukkatsu, even though he was happy to end it with Daioujou.
I don't really get the logic of releasing Mega Black Label and then Deathsmiles 2 six months (or whatever) later. Maybe they just wanted to keep the franchise fresh in the arcades until DS 2 hits. Mega Black Label does hint at a sequel when you clear the game, so it was widely known a sequel would appear, I'm just surprised it's coming so soon.

If it's hi res on new hardware, and flashy and pretty with new scoring techniques, it could be quite amazing (even if it's a hori).

EDIT: Actually now that I think of it, this is the same basic pattern that we saw with Ibara. We got Ibara, then in early 2006 there was Ibara Black Label and a few months later came Ibara 2 (Pink Sweets).
My score archive

KOMA

I might be the only one here but i'm happy with a DS2.This game is brillant on all point.

QuoteEDIT: Actually now that I think of it, this is the same basic pattern that we saw with Ibara. We got Ibara, then in early 2006 there was Ibara Black Label and a few months later came Ibara 2 (Pink Sweets).
I just hope yagawa is not in charge of a "DS2 PS style",i hate this game :p

GaijinPunch

Big difference though: There were two teams, alternating releases.  We don't have a Yagawa game in the middle.  And I believe Inoue was too busy to do any work onthis, right?  Hmm... blech.

Well, they always build on sequels, but if Ikeda gets ahold of it, I'm sure it's going to be "a lot to keep up with".  I'm sending the ESPGaluda II treatment. 

And as EOJ said, Ikeda has stated time and time again he doesn't like making sequels.  Shows you how much power he ultimately has (or that he's a sell out...one of the two).

hermosaguy

I wonder if Cave really has this stuff figured out.  I mean it seems on their 'weaker' releases (not necessarily bad) they really break out the marketing push.  With Ibara, they had the figures, art book, comic etc, to maybe compensate for what they saw as a potentially cautiotious title.  Same with Death Smiles.  Pillowcases, note pads, numerous posters and such.   Neither of those games are bad, but where was the insane marketing push for Mushi?  Did they know they wouldn't need the extra bells, whistles and schwag to get people on board?  I guess MMP kinda blows my idea out of the water (was it a total fail in terms of sales?) but just a thought...

EOJ

Well Ibara and DS both have one thing in common: a large cast of ladies (or girls) that game nerds can fantasize about. So Cave milks that to the max. The difference between the two games is DS was a huge financial success in the arcades. I wouldn't be surprised if the X360 port sells 25-30k (that Otomedius crap game sold like 28k, basically just because of the ladies in it).

MMP apparently didn't sell too much, but neither did Pink Sweets. MMP is one of the rarer SH3 games these days - you almost never see one for sale used. The old unsold MMP PCBs were converted into Futari BL boards, by the way (my Futari BL is one of these converted MMP boards), which is another factor in its current scarcity.
My score archive

hermosaguy

I actually thought it was the other way around.  With Pink Sweets only getting a OST release and no superplay, I thought that may have been the black sheep in recent Cave titles.  I really wish that game would've gotten a little more love.  Its one of the games I want to like more than I actually did.  Here's hoping that DS2 is an upgrade of a sequel! :)