Main Menu

1-ALL

Started by jpj, January 04, 2008, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpj

do you count clearing the first loop of a two loop game as a 1CC?

i was thinking about this the other day, as a lot of people post "1-ALL" scores on shmups, but obviously the game's scoreboard only displays it as a 1-5, or a 1-6, etc.  (i'm not saying clearing the first loop isn't an achievement, because it is  :) )

EOJ

Absolutely. 2nd loops normally have different requirements to even reach them, so playing within the confines of the 1-loop requirements is valid for a 1CC.

Speaking of this, I should probably go and change my MMP scores to 1-ALLs, as there is a second loop. :oops:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Plasmo

I wouldnt consider clearing the first loop of ddp as a 1cc. however if you didnt fulfill the loop requirements id write a 1-all beside my score cause its better than dying in 1-6 but not as good as dying in 2-1. games with no loop requirements dont have a 1-all imo. either you die in the last stage or in the second loops first one. (like batsugun and all psikyos)

Kaede

Yes, most definitely. In my view, the first loop consits of the entire game as it is meant to be played. The second loop is just an easter egg for expert players who cannot get enough of that game. Especially as a quite a few of these games require a secret quota to be reached to access them, such as the destruction rates on Under Defeat and the ridiculous 'bombs + lives > x' formula for Progear no Arashi.

Another thing is that personally, I'm usually burned out on a game by the time I've put the effort in to clearing the first loop. I'm currently right at the end of Under Defeat and you can fuck off if you think I'm gonna try and master another five stages of that! :D

Geeb

Yes, but not entirely. With multiple loop games, clearing the first loop is generally a difficult task, but with time and effort, you can do it. Clearing the second loop might take months and years of your life at times just to do it.

Think of the second loop like a parallel world.

(Would it be alright if I bump this?)

jpj

bump away  :)

actually, i think zlk said it best on shmups: 1st loop of a 2 loop game is a 1-all; 2 loops is a 1cc; infinite looping games can't be 1cc'd.  i should coin the phrase 0.5cc  :P

jaycm1

could someone please explain what these terms mean I think I know not certain
1 loop,2 loop, 1cc , 1all ,and people here use the term noobs Hope you guys can help!!

Budloc

i'll take an example to explain what loops are :
on a 5 level game that loops you'll have :

levels 1-5 (ending) : first loop
then back to level 1 with higher difficulty which could be called "level 6" then
levels "6-10" (ending) : second loop
then back to level 1 again ...

A good example of a game that loops is Gradius, some Cave games have 2 loops but to access second loop you have to meet special requirements.

1CC = 1 credit clear, it means that you have cleared a game with a single credit (at least the first loop when it loops)

1-ALL means that you have cleared the first loop but you didn't meet the requirements to acces second loop.

jaycm1

thanks mate things make a lot more sense!!

Geeb

Quote from: jpji should coin the phrase 0.5cc  :P
So you can clear games with half a credit? I salute you for breaking the machine.

PROMETHEUS

That question is nonsensical. A 1-ALL is a 1-ALL. Why the hell do you care if you can call it a 1CC ? It's just the name you give the damn achievement...

jpj

thanks for the attitude.

i already have my own view, i'm not asking *can* this be called that?  or am i allowed to do XYZ?  i'm asking if you call beating 1 loop of a 2 loop game a 1CC or not.

why is that i have to explain the question to you not once, but twice?

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: jpj on August 09, 2008, 01:19:30 PM
thanks for the attitude.

i already have my own view, i'm not asking *can* this be called that?  or am i allowed to do XYZ?  i'm asking if you call beating 1 loop of a 2 loop game a 1CC or not.

why is that i have to explain the question to you not once, but twice?
I've just been annoyed by some recurring threads especially over on the french forum where people seem to worship 1CC in a weird way or what is the right, authentic way to play a game and stuff like that

so that's why I reacted a little aggressively
sorry

jpj

no problem   :)
i always think score > 1CC
but that's just my opinion, i'm just interested what others think.  no lectures here  :) 

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: jpj on August 09, 2008, 01:56:35 PM
no problem   :)
i always think score > 1CC
but that's just my opinion, i'm just interested what others think.  no lectures here  :) 
I think a certain score or a certain 1CC is just some kind of achievement that can have varying degrees of difficulty. For example, it's way harder to 2-ALL Dodonpachi with a score of 100M than dying in 2-3 with 150M is. In some cases, 1CC or even score relies only on memorization and very little on skill. So when I consider any kind of achievement, I look and take into account what had to be done to do it, and then depending on how much skill this requires I rank it higher or lower in my mind.

For this reason, I personnally think it doesn't matter at all whether a 1-ALL "counts as 1CC" in a game. 1CC isn't some kind of static achievement that the player is supposed to pursue exclusively. Some people seem to worship 1CC lists and consider a player to be as good as he has many titles in his list. I think they don't understand what takes skill in STGs and what makes an impressive player such as the best japanese ones, MisterMonkeyMan... you name them.

jpj

like i said on shmups, it's probably my fault for not phrasing the question very well.

if anything, the question is kinda anti the 1CC culture.  this is why i like the terms 1-ALL and 2-ALL.  if someone says "i beat dai-ou-jou on a credit" there is an ambiguity because you don't know if he means 1 loop or 2. 

i've cleared the first loop of dai-ou-jou lots of times, but i don't stop playing and say "i have the 1CC" because i know there's more levels to progress through, and i can do better than i am doing... 

this might have been discussed before, but arcadia lists scores in a very odd way, favouring progression over score.  for example, with dai-ou-jou, a 2-ALL will always be listed higher than any score that isn't a 2-ALL, and the same for any other progression.  what do you guys think about that...?

PROMETHEUS

I think it doesn't make much sense when the game has an accomplished scoring system (like all Caves) because it just denies part of its depth in competition. It makes a lot more sense for old school games where leeching was often a way to increase your score, but not your progression, and where you would play more or less the same when going for score as when going for progression, save for the leeching and some other minor details. Then, listing scores like that helps discouraging the pointless, boring, stupid leeching while keeping the game as deep as it can be, focusing on the only thing that's hard about it : surviving.