Why do people hate the 360 d-pad?

Started by TimingTripod40, June 01, 2011, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimingTripod40

SH4R4KU

I personally love it. I cannot stand the PS3 D-pad.

HVL

It's defective by design.

I had to mod the circle thing around it with a knife and sandpaper to make it register properly without excessive force.

Sapz

I'd agree with the sandpaper mod being an excellent idea; after that however, I think it's great, the precision is fine after you get used to it. All of my runs use that rather than a stick, which never really clicked quite as well for me (maybe I need to give it more time...).

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Van_Artic

just like the others said, the D-pad, once you mod it it's good
but usually i play any stg with the thumbstick of the 360 pad, i should try other methods...

TimingTripod40

Quote from: EOJ on June 02, 2011, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: Sapz on June 02, 2011, 07:16:13 AM
All of my runs use that rather than a stick,

Wow. I'm impressed!
Same here. Arcade sticks are really overrated. Even a keyboard is better.

EOJ

99% of all World Record scores have been done with arcade sticks. Pretty crazy to call them overrated.

I do like pads, though. I started out with them, and did all of my Ikaruga scores on a pad. For shooters, I like the ps2 pad, the dreamcast pad, and the gamecube pad. Gamecube pad is probably my favorite, actually. For X360 shooters, I only use an arcade stick.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Quote from: EOJ on June 02, 2011, 10:14:53 PMGamecube pad

I cannot believe my eyes. You really like the gamecube d-pad?? It's so tiny! so tiny and cute and tiny!  :oogle:

EOJ

It's tiny, but it had wonderful accuracy. I 1-lifed Ikaruga on that sucker. Never managed to do that on any other pad (or stick).
My score archive

Dave_K.

Why is this thread in under the PCB topic?

EOJ

"Any other general hardware discussions are also welcome"
My score archive

Sapz

Quote from: EOJ on June 02, 2011, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: Sapz on June 02, 2011, 07:16:13 AM
All of my runs use that rather than a stick,

Wow. I'm impressed!
Thanks, but I honestly wouldn't consider it a disadvantage at all. :P As far as I can see, as long as you're able to quickly and precisely input the movements that you want with your chosen device, you're set.

EOJ

My score archive

ave

The new silver 360 pad (with the manually adjustable d-pad) is quite nice actually. I was playing some shooters on it a couple of weeks ago (Ikaruga, Judgement Silversword, DDP DFK BL) and it felt like a Dreamcast-pad - which I still think has a wonderful d-pad.

The regular pad's d-pad isn't that good in my opinion. You CAN use it (unlike the dual shock's "d-pad" or whatever they call that pile of unergonomic design garbage), but I'd prefer a stick or the new-style controller (I don't know the official name for it, sigh).
東亜プラン4ライフ

Let_It_Be

The 360 D-pad is just a bit too squishy for accurate movement if you don't mod it.  I don't find it horrible, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the Sega Saturn D-pad, which is the only pad that can somewhat compete with an arcade stick from my perspective.  There are just better options for most people.