Main Menu

supergun question

Started by evildead, January 31, 2009, 05:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evildead

Hello all!

Im a complete noob to the world of arcade/supergun etc.
I normally play the shmups on PS2/DC/Saturn, but now i want to play Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu badly!
It doesnt look like its getting ported to any console anytime soon (unless im mistaken). So i was wondering what exactly id need to buy?
Like would a supergun work if i bought the donpachi kit?
If so, which supergun would i need? theres so many to choose from!
Sorry, im all new to this field of shmups.
Appreciate all help from replies.
Cheers

EOJ

I would recommend a Sigma AV7000 supergun with a Sigma TB9000 joystick. The entire rig is pretty expensive though - at least $400 + shipping.
This is what I use, and I would not want to use anything else. Superguns can be as cheap as $100 (some even cheaper if you make it yourself), but you
get what you pay for.

Once you have a supergun (and a TV or RGB-compatible monitor) you just need a DDPDFK 1.5 PCB. These run around 120,000 yen at JP shops at the moment. The last bare PCB sold for 83,000 yen on Yahoo Japan Auctions (the last complete kit sold for 90,000 yen), so this is a cheaper route (though you have to deal with a bidding service middleman and all that). It should drop some more in price over the next few months, but don't expect it to go below 65,000~70,000 yen unless there is a port announced. It looks to be patterning the same as Futari 1.5, in terms of price.

So you will likely need at least $1000~$1500 to play DDPDFK 1.5 at home.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

drboom

This brings up a question I have - what's the real difference between a $100 super gun and the Sigma? Output? Processing? I'm tempted to get one as I have that NEC monitor and I'd like to be able to play my hori's without rotating my Astro monitor. Also be nice to have another arcade set up in general. Candy's seems to be pretty scarce in the midwest...

ave

Quote from: drboom on February 03, 2009, 09:14:33 AM
This brings up a question I have - what's the real difference between a $100 super gun and the Sigma? Output? Processing?

Seconded this question. I am using a supergun that cost me about 120$ and I can't complain about it at all. It has external control dials for each color to adjust the screen which was maybe the most important feature to me when I was looking for a supergun.

BTW a question I have is where I can buy a cable that connects the supergun with the pcb.

Like the one coming "out" of the supergun. Currently I have to connect PCBs directly to the supergun and that is a bit annoying so I would prefer to have a cable to give me some space.
東亜プラン4ライフ

EOJ

The difference is in the build quality - Sigma's are factory made and have an internal PSU. They are rugged and seem to last for decades (I've never heard of one crapping out). They also have the best compatibility of any supergun I've used. For me, it's worth it to spend the extra for something so reliable and well-made.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999