Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5 [JP XBOX 360, 2009] REGION FREE W/ SCANLINES

Started by EOJ, April 21, 2009, 02:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

Quote from: adverse on November 25, 2009, 07:11:36 PM
Wow that it is an epically awful description. 

I e-mailed them about the awful description when I got home and they replied, and toned it down a little bit.

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 has the distinction of being one of the most difficult shooters in existence but it's mainly because the bullets from bosses rain down in sheets. Repeat: sheets. Literally, bullets upon bullets. Gamers can look forward to nonstop streaming shots, mesmerizing spiraling shots, and thick waves of rapid shots that afford 1cm of leeway. Even elite players who regularly conquer shmups of all stripes on one measly credit are initially confounded by Futari. We're of the opinion that Cave and arcade operators conspired to make sure that Futari 1.5 gobbles as many credits as possible from average players. Top players might need to feed the beast 2-20 credits depending on individual skill level and hitbox awareness. 

Megalixir

>Gobbles as many credits as possible
>44 Yen for two credits at my local arcade

ok.

So do they actually explain that it's a bullet hell shmup or just start off by saying the bullets throw bullets at you?

>Top players might need to feed the beast 2-20 credits depending on individual skill level and hitbox awareness. 

I wasn't aware top players credit fed. Hitbox awareness? What does this even mean?

It's still wrong, NCSX couldn't write their way out of a sale if they tried.

EPS21

Despite the mantra of the 1-credit rule that most serious shmuppers live by, plenty of top players continue in order to practice later sections or try out new strategies, given that the PCB's have no practice mode.

Funny how ncsx "toned down" the 5-25 credits to 2-20 credits. I wonder where they pull these numbers from...
Whoever wrote the description probably just youtubed mushi futari to learn more about it.

EOJ

Of course all top players credit feed to practice sections on the PCB, SWY even shows you how he credit feeds to practice in the Futari Ultra superplay DVD. The difference is they don't credit-feed to clear or "beat" the game, like your average Joe Halo does.

In other news, I went to Teramachidori in downtown Kyoto bright and early this morning with the intent of buying the standard edition Futari, as I assumed the LE wouldn't be available anywhere. Sofmap didn't open until 11am so I headed over to A-cho arcade and played a round of Deathsmiles II (Oh how I love this game), and then a quick credit of Futari 1.5 so the PCB would be fresh in my memory when I tried the port. I walked down to a place called Kid's Land, which was the only software shop open by 10am, and lo and behold they had two Futari LE's sitting on the shelf for 8400 yen each, with no one else in the store yet other than two sleepy employees. I of course bought one and happily brought it home, as I have not received my order from Amazon yet (should arrive later this afternoon or tomorrow). Below are pics of the package. It IS in a box, but not a slipcase like DS. The box folds and shuts close, similar to a console box. Also note that Reco is on the LE disc, while Palm is on the standard edition disc.

I started first with a credit of Maniac Arcade mode, as I like this mode the best. I am playing it on a 13" TV tated, via composite inputs, so I cannot comment on any HD graphics really.

First, if you are playing on a CRT or other lagless monitor switch the default frame delay to "PCB". If you stay on the default it's 1 frame too fast. Keep the default if you're playing on an LCD to offset the inherent lag of those.

Second, I am happy to report the slowdown in Maniac mode is nearly 100% accurate. They even kept in the "kamikakushi" effect (where the OSD flickers or disappears for a second when you trigger a large number of the multiplier). I'd say it's basically the same slowdown accuracy as the DS port. There are a couple spots where the slowdown is a little too slow, or a little too fast, but only someone like me who has sunk over 200 hours into the PCB will be able to notice this, and I don't think it will effect scoring in any way.

The visual options are amazing, preset #D does seem to be the scanline one, but also the last one (I think it's #H) looks like a scanline one. Hard to tell much on composite inputs in a CRT, so HD or RGB monitor people can test this out.

While the music is crisp and clear and overall remastered for the better, one thing that jumped out at me, and I do NOT like, is they seem to have changed, or remixed part of the final boss music. It's really not as good as the original IMO and there does not seem to be an option to change to the PCB music, so this is sort of a big letdown as that fight is pretty intense, and the new music part is less intense.

I tried Ultra Arrange, and it was alright, but a little too fast and messy. I'll need to put more time into it. It says 2009/9/18 Xbox 360 Arrange Ver on the copyright screen, which is pretty cool.

Other cool things:
-In training mode you can start at the start of a stage, or at the boss! Finally, we can practice the bosses. Thank you M2.
-Sound effects in the option mode are really neat.
-Basically no loading times with or without the install.
-You see a big M2 logo when you fire up the game (you don't see this on Otomedius, which they also ported).

Alright, that's it for now. I'm off to test Original Arcade, Ultra Arcade, and all the 360 mode versions to test for slowdown accuracy. Will post the results in a few hours. I'm hoping my Futari stick arrives in the next few hours as until then I'm stuck with the XBox wireless pad, which sucks ass.

So far, this is probably the best port of any shmup ever.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

Have I missed it, or do we still not know when Black Label is going to be available?

Also, has there been any news regarding the pack-in DLC?

Third_strike

''slowdown in Maniac mode is nearly 100% accurate.''
''don't think it will effect scoring in any way.''
This is nice!
Cool!

adverse

Training mode for bosses did surprise me.  I was like...wow, I could use this to actually come up with a strategy for the final boss besides bombing when I get in trouble!

Nice snag EOJ.

Did you also buy an LE from the CAVE shop?  Did anyone actually manage to buy that?

Megalixir

How's the bonus CD? Also, what is the install size? I'm also wondering what resolution on my 360 I should set. I'm gonna tate my CRT when this thing arrives.

Schrodingers cat

Quote from: EOJ on November 25, 2009, 10:33:08 PM
one thing that jumped out at me, and I do NOT like, is they seem to have changed, or remixed part of the final boss music. It's really not as good as the original IMO and there does not seem to be an option to change to the PCB music, so this is sort of a big letdown as that fight is pretty intense, and the new music part is less intense.

Aw man, why would they do that? That''s a bit disappointing to hear.

Quote from: Megalixir on November 26, 2009, 12:24:47 AM
How's the bonus CD? Also, what is the install size? I'm also wondering what resolution on my 360 I should set. I'm gonna tate my CRT when this thing arrives.

815MB install size, according to people on shmups.

EOJ

Black Label should be available near January 1st. No exact date has been set. Ver 1.01 will be downloadable from tonight (Japan time), via the DLC card. I don't have high speed internet at home, so I won't be able to download and test it out until early January when I return to Hawaii.

Haven't bothered opening the CD, and I doubt I will. I don't listen to game music outside of the games.

@adverse: I had a Cave shop LE on reserve, but didn't pay for it as I decided I didn't care about faceplate stickers or telephone cards. Don't regret it at all.

Alright, I played through just about everything over the past few hours. Here's what I noticed:

-There are no changed bullet patterns in Ultra 360 mode. They're all exactly the same as Ultra Arcade.
-Slowdown in Original and Ultra Arcade seems near perfect, just like Maniac.
-Slowdown in the 360 modes seems identical to Arcade modes. This is pretty great. Unlike Deathsmiles, that had quite different slowdown in 360 mode rendering the mode useless for serious score attackers.
-Novice mode is really fucking easy. I played Ultra Novice and 1 life'd it on my first try. I didn't use a bomb until Larsa (keep in mind you have an autobomb). You get 2 bombs from every bomb carrier, as well as a bomb from both of the large dragons in Stage 5. Way too many bombs. You also get 2 1ups in Stage 5. All the bullet patterns are seriously dumbed down and really slowed down. It's way easier than Original Arcade, or any other Cave game mode released in the arcade or in a home port, if you need a reference point. You do get to fight the TLB larsa at the end, but not the final, third form. I got some 1.2bil score or whatever. I'm not even going to bother trying Original or Maniac Novice, as those must have been made for Grandmas to play.
-I fooled around with Maniac Arrange, but I'm not digging the sped up hyper gameplay with no slowdown and goofy scoring. But, I will continue to give it time, as I do with all Cave games.

I also got the Hori Futari stick, which is really lovely. Great Seimitsu stick, with stock hori buttons. Beautiful color overlay, beautiful box. Pics:

My score archive

ragolslayer

Damn, I can't wait for my stick to come in the mail now...  :)

Saturday just can't come soon enough.  :(

Monouchi

antares

Thanks for the detailed descriptions EOJ. Can't wait to get mine, hopefully by the end of next week.

Quote from: adverse on November 25, 2009, 11:38:28 PM
Did you also buy an LE from the CAVE shop?  Did anyone actually manage to buy that?

I will get one :D

HVL

That stick looks very pretty, but I think the artwork could've been better.

Ast-Kot

Is the Dlc card for downloading the 1.01 vers included in the normal pack...?

Nice stick EOJ..... ;)
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

HVL

Quote from: Ast-Kot on November 26, 2009, 02:47:14 PM
Is the Dlc card for downloading the 1.01 vers included in the normal pack...?

Yes, all first print copies are supposed to have it.

StarCreator

Quote from: HVL on November 26, 2009, 02:21:12 PM
That stick looks very pretty, but I think the artwork could've been better.
Yeah... seeing that artwork just makes me wish the art style was closer to the first game... love Reco's first game design, can hardly stand to look at the new Reco =/

Megalixir

My stuff arrived

Just kidding, it's the same guy who did the Death Smiles haul. link

EOJ

I gave arrange mode some more time, and I really don't like it. I think it's Cave's worst arrange mode ever actually. Sort of a disappointment.

Anyone try ver 1.01?
My score archive

hermosaguy

Yeah,is it just me or does it take longer to kill some enemies in 1.1?

grotto

The UPS man just knocked at my door, and demanded some cash, thing is I didn?t have enough... :(

? 23,- custom fees seem a lot for a ? 43,- game...

Man, it?s my day off and Futari is gone again, this sucks...  :rolleyes:

antares

Quote from: grotto on November 27, 2009, 06:09:23 AM
? 23,- custom fees seem a lot for a ? 43,- game...

Welcom to the wonderful world of EU customs laws  :-\

Monouchi

Yep!

I rather wait an extra couple of days and just send with economy bubble package from PA.
Gets right into the postbox without any EU customs etc....  =D

...and I absolutely do not want to feed the UPS monster... :mad:

Kaneda

I haven't picked up a 360 yet but was thinking maybe I should get the game now while I can. I was at Sofmap tonight and almost bought the LE because I figured it would be hard to get a copy but they had stacks of 'em at the kiosk and behind the counter, as well as the one's that come with the phone card. If the only difference is the cover and the soundtrack I'll go with the regular one, but is it confirmed that this first shipment is the only way to get version 1.0?

Ast-Kot

Despite the orrible EU customer fees, I've always used Ups cause Italian mailing sistem sucks :-\

I'm very angry with Play-asia causa I've pre-order my mushi copy on the first pre-order day and it is still preparing it.... :mad: I'think I've missed the 1.01 download card :-[ Maybe, can I download it from Xbla paying with the points?
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

fuse

Was it not all first prints were going to get the 1.01 DLC card? I dig the actual card itself, much larger than the phonecard-esque size I was expecting, and very nice to look at.

Mine copy yesterday (via UPS but marked down, customs free  :righton:) but I didn't get a chance to play. Looking forwards to a good weekend binge on it.

EOJ

You should be able to pay for ver 1.01 if you don't have a DLC card. I don't see why Cave wouldn't want your money on this.

Only differences between the LE and SE are the LE has different box art, comes in a box, and includes a double remix album.

I gave Maniac Novice mode a whirl. Pretty fun actually, in a pure score attack way. I got a 477mil no miss no bomb ALL on my first credit, but it will be hard to squeeze more points out of it due to the lack of bullets.

Also, I'm not totally sure yet, but I've played Original Arcade and 360 modes more, and it seems like the Arcade mode slowdown is a bit faster in a good number of spots (or totally missing), whereas 360 mode feels pretty much exact. Pretty weird (and not good), I'd have expected the opposite.
My score archive

StarCreator

Quote from: EOJ on November 27, 2009, 08:50:07 AM
You should be able to pay for ver 1.01 if you don't have a DLC card. I don't see why Cave wouldn't want your money on this.
Kind of like how Cave doesn't want money for Deathsmiles's full voice option?

SuperPang

Is it just me or can you not set different screen settings for different modes? Arcade needs picture mode D, 360 mode does not.  Bit of a pain.

Really great port. Scanlines leave the picture a little washed out but its still a big improvement in Arcade mode. Good effort with the slowdown, lovely wallpapers, tiny install and amazing load times.

Arrange is a bit gay.

5pb better can Ketsui and let Cave/M2 do it or its going to be a bit of a joke.

bcass

Quote from: SuperPang on November 27, 2009, 11:34:58 AMScanlines leave the picture a little washed out but its still a big improvement in Arcade mode.

Shame they don't allow you to adjust the intensity of the scanlines, which would rectify this.