Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5 [JP XBOX 360, 2009] REGION FREE W/ SCANLINES

Started by EOJ, April 21, 2009, 02:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

ABI just got his copy of the game, and has posted his first impressions (in Japanese):

http://abi123.blog110.fc2.com/

He's the WR holder in Original mode for both characters, so you should care what he thinks about the port.  He says the slowdown is "amazing", and he implies there is more slowdown in the port than in the PCB, at least in stages 3 and 5. He's playing with the Xbox pad and mentions the fun stuff he can do in the port that he couldn't on the PCB, like set the Original mode counter to 70K and stage counter to 9999 in training mode and practice stage 1.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

moozooh

Someone got a 3.86 billion clear at Arrange Ultra:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8947905
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8949852

Looks crazy and really tempting. Considering the exponential score growth (about 60% of the score comes from the final boss fight alone), it also seems that 4 billion is, by far, not the limit. If any serious players try their fangs at this mode, way more optimal reflection patterns will be found, so I guess we can expect as much as ~5 billion sometime soon. Then again, I don't have the game yet so I can't check the scoreboards. What are the current records?
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

EOJ

My score archive

moozooh

You know, it actually got me thinking: maybe they've also removed the counterstop from the arcade (or at least arcade-360) mode? That would be an interesting opportunity for SWY and K.K to get back into the game.

EOJ

It might be gone from 360 mode. That would be a neat thing to test. I doubt they removed it from Arcade mode, the port seems really spot on in all respects, and M2 likes to keep the ports 100% faithful.

One thing I forgot to mention is this port is based on the bugfixed (yes, there was a bugfixed revision of Futari) ver 1.5. You can tell because it has a bunch of periods in the copyright screen MASTER VER string (whereas my original 1.5 PCB had no such periods). I owned one bugfixed Futari 1.5 PCB over the years, so I can confirm it exists. I know there was a bug in stage 5 regarding the hit detection during the medial descent that caused some cheap deaths, I think they fixed this and maybe the goofy counter in Ultra that gets messed up when you cross 100,000 (hmm, I could easily test this in training mode...).
My score archive

adverse

Arrange Ultra top score is already 4.5 bil last time I checked.

EOJ

My score archive

bucklemyshoe

Quote from: moozooh on November 30, 2009, 12:10:26 AM
Someone got a 3.86 billion clear at Arrange Ultra:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8947905
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8949852

Looks crazy and really tempting. Considering the exponential score growth (about 60% of the score comes from the final boss fight alone), it also seems that 4 billion is, by far, not the limit. If any serious players try their fangs at this mode, way more optimal reflection patterns will be found, so I guess we can expect as much as ~5 billion sometime soon. Then again, I don't have the game yet so I can't check the scoreboards. What are the current records?

could someone rip and up to megaupload?

moozooh

EOJ

While the more I've played the more I've noticed differences in slowdown across the modes as compared to the PCB, I thought that playing on a 13" TV via composite inputs might have been altering my perception a bit. However, after reading lots of comments from Japanese players, it seems it has nothing to do with my setup, as many have posted that they also notice differences. Having not had much experience in Ultra past stage 3, I was unable to notice differences in slowdown in the later levels of Ultra. Upon scouring the threads over at 2Ch, many people have posted the slowdown is noticably different in the 360 port in Ultra mode (in both Arcade and 360, though there are some differences between the two). They say there is more slowdown in many sections, so consequently the port of Ultra is easier than the PCB version of Ultra.  :( They also mentioned something else I recently noticed, which is the fact that some enemies seem to die sooner than in the PCB, particularly in 360 mode (this is not restricted to Ultra mode). Just a split second earlier, as if their hit points were slightly reduced. This includes some boss fights (such as the stage 2 midboss). I also think the last part of the second phase of the stage 2 boss in Maniac mode (when you are doing the ika-loop milking) is off in timing, but in the opposite way - the last set of large expanding balls take a split second longer to destroy. I can see how this can sound nitpicky to those who never played the PCB, but when you've honed your pattern on the PCB version and have it down pat, even a split second difference in timing in a critical scoring section like the second phase of the stage 2 boss is rather jarring.

The PS2 port of Mushihimesama also had more slowdown than the PCB in Ultra mode, which made it easier, and the scores done between the two incomparable.

In contrast slowdown replication in Deathsmiles (Arcade mode only) is nearly perfect (I'd say 99% accurate). Mihara also noticed differences in Futari's slowdown in the X360 port, though he hasn't tested it in detail. In comparison, he said he thinks his DOJ port is about 95% accurate, while his Espgaluda port is 98% accurate in terms of slowdown replication.
My score archive

Kaneda

I downloaded v.1.01 and it was like a blast from the past. Not since 2006 has Original mode ripped me up like that and I'm very pleased to be able to enjoy all this Futari at home, finally. Been a long time coming.

And seeing as this is my first experience playing with a 360, I apparently underestimated the shittiness of the d-pad. I kind of assumed that it would be uncomfortable but would at least go left when I pushed said button, but I find more often than not that my character goes up when I press left or right. My god. Guess I'll need to get that Futari stick this weekend unless I can find a better alternative.

battle gregor

anyone know what settings should i have for  Frame delay if i'm playing 1.5 arcade mode on a crt via scart??
i've got it on 0 but the pcb in brackets on the 2 setting makes me wonder if i should pick that?
which is most accurate to the pcb?

thanks!

HVL

The PCB setting is most likely the best bet for displays w/o input lag, it's not like they added the "PCB" there for shits and giggles.

battle gregor

thats what i was thinking  :P  i never knew that the pcbs had lag  ???
i spose it'll get rid of the random tearing tho  :righton:

EOJ

I gave Ultra arrange a few more credits. I got this score in my 5th or 6th credit ever playing the game:

3.4bil  :righton:

First, this was easy as hell and I basically just improvised the whole thing. So the upper scores must be at least double that (I hope). Second, once you figure out you basically need to play it like Pink Sweets (in infinite lives mode) with ikaruga-style switching instead of an infinite bomb, then everything clicks. It's like a crazy fast Pink Sweets with a fun scoring system, no slowdown, and no rank. Loads of fun.

Glad you got 1.0 again, Kaneda. It's been awhile. Wish I could download it sooner, but in about a month (when I can download it) I'll be chasing your scores.
My score archive

HVL

http://www.ncsx.com/2009/113009/mushihimesama_futari_printing.htm

As speculated, copies w/o the card are not from the first print run.

Interestingly, P-A lists "5AD-00004" under the catalog number, but it seems they did ship copies from the first print too.

moozooh

Can anyone tell me what exactly are the differences between arcade and arcade-360 modes, aside from higher resolution graphics?

gsl

Quote from: HVL on November 30, 2009, 12:38:26 PM
http://www.ncsx.com/2009/113009/mushihimesama_futari_printing.htm

As speculated, copies w/o the card are not from the first print run.

Interestingly, P-A lists "5AD-00004" under the catalog number, but it seems they did ship copies from the first print too.
This is so damned bizarre.  When people talk of printings or print runs, be it with books, movies, games, or whatever, the implication is usually that an additional printing was necessary because the previous one sold out and demand was still high.  This sounds like they ran off two at essentially the same time!

EOJ

Quote from: moozooh on November 30, 2009, 01:00:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what exactly are the differences between arcade and arcade-360 modes, aside from higher resolution graphics?

Not much. There are some slight differences in slowdown, but that's it. It's not like Deathsmiles, where the two modes were really different.
My score archive

moozooh

EOJ

Most Japanese players seem to think so. I haven't played all of the modes enough to form my own opinion.
My score archive

cstarflare

EOJ or anyone else who's good at Ultra Arrange, does skipping powerups allow you to score higher on bosses by extending the time you fight them? (If nothing else, allow for more time to reflect and collect gems to increase the counter)

I'd test it myself but I'm still working on clearing the mode normally so I think I would game over too soon to be able to form a good opinion.

EOJ

I doubt it makes much difference if you skip one or two, but if you skip ALL of the power ups? Hmm. Might make later boss fights worth more, though they would also take much longer to finish (and everything would be harder). Interesting idea.
My score archive

cstarflare

The first boss fight seemed to take me a bit longer if I skipped the two powerups, but my scores in that mode are so inconsistent that I couldn't tell if it really helped.

I figure that if you go into the Larsa fight with a 200k counter and no powerups that could really give a lot of points, assuming you can stay in fever often enough to survive.

EOJ

Some secret achievements:

Only in ver 1.5
-Clear Ultra Stage 3 (you can use up to 5 continues)
-Clear Ultra Stage 5 (you can use up to 9 continues)

Also, unconfirmed, but one Japanese guy says the last 50pt secret achievement is to no miss no bomb the game (ver 1.5 only) in any mode. Probably only Original mode would be doable, but it would be pretty damn hard even there (I've never done it).
My score archive

adverse

Nice thanks for the info EOJ.

I think the achievements were really well set this time for the most part.  The get an extend via a power-up item/bomb is a huge pain in the ass, and the 1up->Gameover one is also harder than you'd expect, but the Ultra achievements seem like real invitations to actually challenging the mode.  I'm down for the rush.

HVL

Quote from: gsl on November 30, 2009, 06:43:26 PM
This is so damned bizarre.  When people talk of printings or print runs, be it with books, movies, games, or whatever, the implication is usually that an additional printing was necessary because the previous one sold out and demand was still high.  This sounds like they ran off two at essentially the same time!

How so? They did the initial 20k print, then realized the demand is higher and printed more in order to fill all orders. Isn't that basically the same thing?

EOJ

Some Japanese guys are reporting the following bug in the game:

-Music fades or glitches out at various spots in the game

Also one guy confirmed one of the enemies in the second half of Stage 4 appears at the wrong time (or is misplaced?).
My score archive

HVL

Quote from: EOJ on December 01, 2009, 01:24:21 AM
-Music fades or glitches out at various spots in the game

There are reports of this on shmups too. Patch time. =D

Megalixir

Quote from: adverse on December 01, 2009, 01:00:43 AM
Nice thanks for the info EOJ.

I think the achievements were really well set this time for the most part.  The get an extend via a power-up item/bomb is a huge pain in the ass, and the 1up->Gameover one is also harder than you'd expect, but the Ultra achievements seem like real invitations to actually challenging the mode.  I'm down for the rush.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8966916

There's also a 攻略 up for anyone who wants to 1cc Original with really low rank, maybe that unlocks it?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8967795
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8967856