Main Menu

Recent posts

S
CAVE Games / Re: Xbox 360 store closing Jul...
Last post by SH4R4KU - February 11, 2024, 06:33:31 AM
Thank you for the head's up.
I need to redownload some apparently as the memory is corrupted.
S
CAVE Games / Re: The Joys of Aging
Last post by SH4R4KU - February 11, 2024, 04:50:39 AM
Thank goodness for the last post!

I'm doing better than ever but wish I played more STG 20 years ago. Now I'm 40 and though I got into the scene at 30 only just got my cabs and only played DOJ in my own home with M2s port.

We can't stop the passage of time (indeed it's necessary in order to play a game), so enjoy and acknowledge as much as possible :)
Last post by EOJ - February 06, 2024, 02:27:19 AM
Quote from: NOSgaluda on February 06, 2024, 02:14:01 AMI'm the youngster in this thread it seems, with my 38 years on this earth, but I just wanted to say that I'm kind of scared of losing my abilities to age since I just recently started to really improve (most of my 1CC:s have been done during the last 3 years). My hearing is appropriate for my age and my eyesight is, with glasses, completely fine - but it's all a matter of time...  :displeased:

I got most of my best scores between the ages 38-43.  :righton: Everything comes to an end eventually in this life. Enjoy these games while you can, then move on to other interests when your body can't handle it anymore (or just enjoy the games more casually, if possible). Everyone is different in this regard, you might be playing until you're 65 with no problems, who knows.
Last post by NOSgaluda - February 06, 2024, 02:14:01 AM
I'm the youngster in this thread it seems, with my 38 years on this earth, but I just wanted to say that I'm kind of scared of losing my abilities to age since I just recently started to really improve (most of my 1CC:s have been done during the last 3 years). My hearing is appropriate for my age and my eyesight is, with glasses, completely fine - but it's all a matter of time...  :displeased:
Other Games / Re: The "what NON-Cave game(s)...
Last post by EOJ - February 02, 2024, 02:12:13 PM
I played through Golden Sun (GBA on the NSO) for the first time. Really fun, old-school JRPG. Took me about 19 hours. I don't think I'll play through the sequel for awhile though, as I'm keen to move on to something else.
Last post by SuperPang - February 01, 2024, 08:24:32 AM
Is your wife a member here?
Last post by bitkid - February 01, 2024, 12:58:19 AM
40 here. No tension headaches from playing shmups or playing on a stick but I did start getting tension headaches from activities like raking the yard, vacuuming or anything where I'm maneuvering a long pole to do some kind of manual labor. Very annoying and limits the amount of time I can do a particular chore before taking a break.
P
High Scores - Individual Style / Re: PRT
Last post by porter - January 29, 2024, 07:43:54 AM
I want to use this thread to track my scoring journey. I've been a CAVE fan for a while but I fall more into the collector and casual stg player category. I don't know what got into me but I realized I'm missing out on so much of what these games have to offer. I'm almost 40 and I'm no superplayer, so I'm not expecting any WR numbers here, but I am kind of excited to see how I progress over time and where I end up.

First up--Ibara. I love the art and soundtrack and figured that'd be the perfect place to start. I've only played it a handful of times so I'm basically going in blind, which should add to the fun. I have the PCB but I don't have the PS2 port. Given what I've read, I think I would've preferred starting with IKBL, but since I already had the Ibara PCB I'll start there. Maybe BL will be next if I can find a PCB available that doesn't cost $7500 from Tops.

Overview:
- Normal mode. Bond Type-A (subject to change).
- Practice with emulation allowed. (arcade rom in MAME with 50% cpu/50% blitter. not sure of the best settings but I'll start there)
- Save states? Undecided. I personally don't like using features that weren't originally included by the developer. I think the Ibara PS2 port has save stating, so the jury's still out.
- Scoring on PCB.
- Watching replays is fine.
- Recording and reviewing my own runs is fine.

My goals:
- Practice at least five days per week (no practice session time requirement. 15min, 3 hours, anything's fine. I want to make sure I stay playing regularly.)
- 1-all in 20 hours
- No score goal but I'll update after 50, 100, and 200 hours of playtime, or whenever I call it quits.

Off we go.

Edit: Right as I started with Ibara my copy of DDP DOJ Reincarnation arrived. Ibara's on hold as I'm playing around with that.
P
High Scores - Individual Style / PRT
Last post by porter - January 29, 2024, 07:08:25 AM
No highscores yet. Hopefully soon  :)

Ibara:
- TBD
PCB / Re: CAVE arcade box history 20...
Last post by EOJ - January 12, 2024, 02:50:35 PM
Quote from: F86 on January 12, 2024, 12:31:14 AMIs it possible for a mushihime sama black label to have a box without sticker? Thank you!

I know some late Ibara Kuro kits were sold without the sticker on the box, but I don't remember this for MFBL, at least not "officially". It's possible some Hong Kong vendors sold them this way (swapped out the box, or the PCB was a return/repair that was sold again with a normal box), but I doubt they came from CAVE that way. However, if someone here can recall buying a new one from a Japanese PCB shop back in 2008 or 2009, and it didn't come with the sticker on the box, that would suggest some were sold that way from CAVE (and that CAVE made more than 150 of them).