Japan Post halts all shipments to the USA that exceed 453g

Started by Danza, November 15, 2010, 06:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danza

I am not sure how this will effect you guys in the USA. But I figured it'd be worth posting here in case anyone has a proxy service waiting to ship something or whatnot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/e6atq/japan_post_halts_all_shipments_to_the_usa_that/

From the board-

"After Wednesday, November 17th Japan Post will not accept any shipments to the US if the total package weight exceeds 453g. The only exception is if you are a business with a monthly payment contract with Japan Post.

This new measure affects the US as well as US territories/possessions such as Guam and Saipan.

Apparently this is some sort of terror prevention measure.

(I'm guessing this is related to the recent toner cartridge bombs but I really don't see how Japan is related to Yemen. Then again, I often don't understand government "logic".)

Please pass this info along to anyone you know who may need to get something heavy to the US before Christmas. It looks like tomorrow is their last chance to ship."

...."I was totally wrong, Air Mail, SAL, and EMS, are all affected."
----

The Japan Post PDF is included at the Reddit post.

charlienash87

shit!!! no wonder GP wants to get that shit out of his crib ASAP. I'll be pissed if terrorists get a hold my cave bling
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

njiska

Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

SuperPang

njiska

Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

caincan

:oogle: sounds weird !   otakus will move to canada (or europe ?  =D )

brentsg

I've done a bit of digging on this.

At the core it appears that our TSA is prohibiting any air shipment of ink or toner cartridges over 16 ounces via commercial airliners.  And even then, only when the return address cannot be verified.

Japan Post either misunderstood or simply didn't want to be bothered looking for ink / toner cartridges, so they banned any parcel via Japan Post air that's over 16 ounces and being shipped by someone that's not a regular business customer.