twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

skykid

I wish they'd just leave it now.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

RAR

dan76

I hope it happens - they need a hit.  2D sounds good, 16:9... does that mean no arcade release?
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

EOJ

They've done Halloween and Christmas, what's next, an angry Easter Bunny?

Seriously though, I think if they make this it will be awesome. I love the DS games.
My score archive

emphatic

I hope they make it a vert.  :laugh:

Shalashaska

I could go for a new Deathsmiles game. They should base it off a Japanese only holiday. Or how about that penis festival thing?  =D

EOJ

The Japanese holiday thing would be cool (like the O-bon festival), but all of the girls are from Europe or the USA, so I think that's why they've made the games based on Western Holidays. Unless they throw in a new character from Japan? A full Guwange-ish Japanese-themed game would be pretty awesome.
My score archive

cstarflare

St. Patrick's day could be a good time

Though my bet is on Valentine's day, if they stick to holiday themes. Or maybe New Year's?

skykid

Quote from: EOJ on December 12, 2010, 05:27:51 PM
A full Guwange-ish Japanese-themed game would be pretty awesome.

Actually I'd vote for that.  :righton:
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

Van_Artic

Quote from: EOJ on December 12, 2010, 04:55:56 PM
what's next, an angry Easter Bunny?
haha, i thought the same thing some days ago

will the girls "age backwards" like in DSII? who knows

TheSoundofRed

I second that motion. Guwange is one of my favorite Cave games in terms of art direction. I'm just imagining Follet in samurai armor and her dragon familiar with a battle helmet  :righton:.

Aliquantic

Quote from: EOJ on December 12, 2010, 05:27:51 PM
The Japanese holiday thing would be cool (like the O-bon festival), but all of the girls are from Europe or the USA, so I think that's why they've made the games based on Western Holidays. Unless they throw in a new character from Japan? A full Guwange-ish Japanese-themed game would be pretty awesome.

I seem to recall that Joker Jun was involved in Guwange's design too and he really liked the Japanese mythology theme, so I could see him getting behind that, and I can't really think of any other way of keeping anything like the Deathsmiles vibes... and it'd make the series feel a bit fresher too!

I wonder what happened to their earlier discussions about EspRaDe 2 with Joker Jun, though...

drunkninja

Quote from: dan76 on December 12, 2010, 04:29:20 PM
I hope it happens - they need a hit.  2D sounds good, 16:9... does that mean no arcade release?

I don't see why it would, especially if it uses the same (or similar) system DeathSmiles II is on, which is connected to a 16:9 screen normally anyway.

EOJ

I think they're done with DSII's arcade hardware, as it was a financial failure. And it was 4:3 - only the X360 port was 16:9 (IIX and Arrange modes only).
My score archive

antares

16:9 screens are common in newer cabs so I don't see why it wouldn't be for arcades.
Of course it has to be 2D HD as everything else would look shit on such cabs.

Hive

if they announce this soon, then the theme can't be Christmas.
Like someone already said: it'll be an easter theme where you shoot catholic priests and other monsters popping outta eggs! :O
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

SuperPang

Quote from: EOJ on December 13, 2010, 02:14:59 AM
I think they're done with DSII's arcade hardware, as it was a financial failure.
I got one in the mail today  :whyioughtta:
I'd be quite interested to see an HD 2D Deathsmiles with Vewlix in mind. That's an easy port. I wonder if Taito ever did approach Cave.

Strider77

QuoteI think they're done with DSII's arcade hardware, as it was a financial failure. And it was 4:3 - only the X360 port was 16:9 (IIX and Arrange modes only).

I really, really hope so......    but if they did the game in 2D and HD like the 360 ports. Who knows, I just feel more comfortable with their 2D so far.

Monouchi

Not much for DS but it will prolly sell alot of copies.
Hope they go the 2D DS1 route graphics wise.

eps21

I'm betting the theme will be Valentines day... its the most kawaii-est holiday of them all, and all the DS girls in pink frilly dresses will be guaranteed success

neomoe

Quote from: eps21 on December 14, 2010, 10:11:48 PM
I'm betting the theme will be Valentines day... its the most kawaii-est holiday of them all, and all the DS girls in pink frilly dresses will be guaranteed success

I think this is a really good guess.  But if so, I wonder what the enemies would be?  Evil Cupid for sure, but what else? 

Part of my complaint (albeit pretty minor) about DS2 was that some of the enemies didnt seem to fit the theme.  i'm all for thematic games, but I think whatever the theme is, it would be ideal if it was applied consistently throughout the whole game.  it's not a big deal, but would be nice.

Regardless though, I'd be excited for a new Deathsmiles game.  As it stands, the Deathsmiles and Donpachi games are my 2 favorite Cave series

jyumi

QuoteGuwange-ish Japanese-themed
QuoteValentines day

These are my two highest guesses if they do make DS3

Not getting too technical,

Judging from the past 2 games, the theme needs to incorporate both a western holiday and japan's gothic lolita culture. (Just seems like these two guesses are what is left from the gothic lolita culture.)

If they do a the Guwange, Wa Lolita would be used
If Valentines day, Sweet Lolita
youtube: Ghostezra
general: Tyjet Poison

xris

It would be kinda cool if they moved everything forward a few years in the story, with the girls being older and returning to find the kingdom under armageddon. Really bringing the series into a darker, more foreboding tone. I'm not sure if trying to incorporate an additional holiday would be such a good ideal. It will just make the game seemed forced, and maybe fans will write it off as being a thematic gimmick. A stark contrast of maturity, coupled with a recognizable property may bring allot of attention to it.

SP3RRFEUER

Quote from: xris on December 16, 2010, 01:15:32 PM
It would be kinda cool if they moved everything forward a few years in the story, with the girls being older and returning to find the kingdom under armageddon. Really bringing the series into a darker, more foreboding tone. I'm not sure if trying to incorporate an additional holiday would be such a good ideal. It will just make the game seemed forced, and maybe fans will write it off as being a thematic gimmick. A stark contrast of maturity, coupled with a recognizable property may bring allot of attention to it.

i fully agree with that!
I think rewarding risky play with high scores is important. [Toshiaki Tomizawa]

Dude

I dont mind if they stay 2.5 as long as they clean it up. Understandable it was all Greek to them at the time. I love IIX on 360. Valentines day would be awesome. But a darker look into there world would be super sweet.