Main Menu

Deathsmiles

Started by EOJ, December 09, 2007, 06:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

Well that makes sense.

Shalashaska

If you guys missed out on getting a DVD from GP (like myself) Play-Asia is taking pre-orders here. Will be available July 2nd.

EOJ

Play-asia is already all presold out of the Deathsmiles DVD. That was fast!!
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

GaijinPunch

Damn, they had them yesterday.  I sold my one extra for the PA price, which I think was a bit of a loss.  Oh, well.

jaycm1

finally my first cave game to complete on one credit never thought this day would come,played with windia all all ranks score 28340692 i know it's a rubbish score, I'm just happy my first 1cc.

jpj

EOJ

Some Deathsmiles Figurines by Kurosupointo at the Wonder Festival 2008 in Tokyo (one of Windia and one of Casper):

The Casper one is pretty cool, but the Windia doesn't look too great.

Full details:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/097/97074/
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Any panties on those things?

innerpattern

Death Smiles is going to be my first Cave PCB purchase. Watched a superplay and was absolutely blown away by how cool it looks. Best hori stg ever from what I can see and it just so happens I have a non-tate-able cab that needs a new game.

EOJ

It's well worth it! I never cared for horis before (well, Border Down was pretty nice), but this game changed all that. Warning: once you play it you'll start to see bouncing skulls and glowing orange +10,000 multipliers in your head when your close your eyes before bed.
My score archive

innerpattern

Quote from: EOJ on August 13, 2008, 12:10:08 AM
I never cared for horis before (well, Border Down was pretty nice), but this game changed all that.

Me either, I think DS is just what I need.

markedkiller78

I'm clearly a freak as I don't like this at all :(

I'm going to give it some serious play time, but I have MMP & Futari here & want to play them! Think I'll clear it & move it on

EOJ

Quote from: markedkiller78 on September 09, 2008, 03:21:27 PM

Do you know how the scoring system works and all that? The game isn't much fun if you just go blasting through the stages.
My score archive

markedkiller78

Quote from: EOJ on September 09, 2008, 03:26:52 PM
Quote from: markedkiller78 on September 09, 2008, 03:21:27 PM

Do you know how the scoring system works and all that? The game isn't much fun if you just go blasting through the stages.

We'll I've watched a few vids & toyed with it myself. I managed 25m last night & died on 4-2.

I think I might start to like it better when I get better at it. Strangely although I'm saying that I don't like it, all I can think about today is getting home to play it.

Strange.

SuperPang

I didn't get DS on my first few plays. Its not as instantly gratifying as other Cave shooters. The quality shines through though.

markedkiller78

I'm going to unlock the hidden characters tonight when I get home. I got 50% through the final stage last night (rank2s & 3s) after about 20mins play.

I'm still not loving it & I ended up playing MMP for the remainder of the night. I was too hasty to write off progear, so I'll persevere with DS for the time being. I was expecting an instant pull from this, but I think it's a slow burner.

EOJ

Quote from: markedkiller78 on September 11, 2008, 08:12:13 AM
I'm going to unlock the hidden characters tonight when I get home.

Well, here's a problem! You really need to unlock Follett and Rosa. A lot of people prefer one of these two over Windia or Casper. I use Follett the most these days.

Also, I can't emphasize enough that the fun of this game is in its scoring system. Once you get a screen full of bouncing skulls and glowing orange +10000 multipliers, things get very fun indeed.
My score archive

The Sheep

In the char selection screen, there are two options for each char. What are they for ?

SuperPang

The Sheep

ahhh, k.Thx =D

Awesome game. btw. I really love it.

markedkiller78

40.6m level 4-2.

I thought this was meant to be easy, granted I can get to the final level after 2 days, but Level 4 is a total bitch

markedkiller78

Quote from: markedkiller78 on September 13, 2008, 10:50:36 AM
40.6m level 4-2.

I thought this was meant to be easy, granted I can get to the final level after 2 days, but Level 4 is a total bitch

Right I take it back. Next run & I cleared the game. Bar none the easiest cave game ever. Rosa is a powerhouse

SuperPang

markedkiller78

Quote from: SuperPang on September 14, 2008, 07:16:25 AM
Extra stage time ;)

Aye, I've got to the 2 Dragons twice, but suicide bullets (when doing all 3's as well) are mental :mad:

I am enjoying this one now, I can clear the first 6 stages every time, but my scores are a little inconsistant. The Lava Level & Jungle with the vines are score tastic :)

markedkiller78

I wrote this:

I?ve been playing far too much Death Smiles. Every time I close my eyes I can see  Pumpkins / crowns / skulls, 1000+259 multipliers & I can hear the SFX when you select a level, text pops up on screen. I wanted to call in sick today to play the game & had I not just changed jobs, probably would have.

Jesus this game is addictive.

I?ve gone from thinking it?s shit (I didn?t know how to score), to thinking it?s too easy (I figured out how to score), to thinking it?s too hard (suicide hell & Canyon).

My partner is doing a postgrad & studies everynight. I now have all this free time which we used to spend together and all I do is play shmups. I?ve discovered that I can forget about my job (which can be quite stressful) when I?m trying to dodge through hordes of bullets or chaining enemies together.

I think I?ve either discovered a new level of enjoyment or that I?ve turned into a massive cave fan boy overnight. I?m happy regardless.

Then read this lol:

Quote from: EOJ on August 13, 2008, 12:10:08 AM
Warning: once you play it you'll start to see bouncing skulls and glowing orange +10,000 multipliers in your head when your close your eyes before bed.

Thank god it's not just me!

GaijinPunch

QuoteThe Lava Level & Jungle with the vines are score tastic

The key to scoring is the refill.  Personally I think the timing is a bit unforgiving (a la old Cave) but once you get it, it makes it way funner.  And of course, if you fuck up, way more frustrating.

markedkiller78

By refil do you mean, haveing tons of crowns on screen as the timer hits zero?

It's a total fluke if I do it.

markedkiller78

I?ve fully read the Strat section, so hopefully I?ll be refilling this week & enjoying this game even more!

I know that I can hammer my current 112m. I got to the volcano level with 40m+ last night, but then died stupidly thanks to those pissy suicide bullets. I might do an easy ALL (No suicide) and aim for 150m this week.

I had no idea how subtle this game is. Absorbing suicide bullets takes some serious skill on the Volcano & Canyon thanks to the scenery. Rosa?s option is a pain to rotate in front of you, I?m guessing this is her only drawback as the others are so underpowered in comparison.

I am absolutely smitten by this game & over the moon that it?s one of the 360 ports. If any hori can rekindle some shmup lovin, this has got to be it.

KOMA

If you have the suicide bullets at the volcano stage,you choose the wrong route or at least a difficult one.
If i remember correctly since i do not have the game anymore, i took:
A1-C2-C1-A2-B2-B1

GaijinPunch

Quote from: markedkiller78 on September 15, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
By refil do you mean, haveing tons of crowns on screen as the timer hits zero?

Yes, that's exactly how you do it.  Some spots are easier than others.  Any of the "big shit" (The boats in the harbor, the ugh... big ass round things in the forest, the house in the graveyard) all spew crowns, so use them to time out a zero.  Also remember some of them require the lock on to trigger way more crowns.

And yes, you don't want suicide bullets on the volcano.