Main Menu

New Simple Machines forum software

Started by EOJ, July 21, 2008, 12:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

So I changed the forums again. Some things are screwy (like the smilies), but overall the migration was smooth. All your PMs are lost, unfortunately. The old PM system really sucked, so it's not much of a loss.

The simple machine forums seem much better, hence the change. I don't have to monkey around with all the damn mods needed just to make punBB functional (and every time you upgrade the forum software you have to reinstall all those stupid mods).

The template is a decent neutral one I found. I'll hunt around for some more interesting ones.

Comments/suggestions? There's a Karma system I could implement here, maybe just for the trading section (if possible).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jpj

for a minute there i thought VK had blown up the forum this morning  :D

have to admit, i'll miss the last forums visual style   :'(

Plasmo

I also liked the dark style better. But then again I don't really care about that.

EOJ

Yeah, I liked the old visual style too. But it was too lacking in too many other areas. I'll keep hunting, maybe there will be a similar forum theme template for this forum software. There is a dark purple style I could upload as an option, if anyone is interested.

I think you'll find the new forums much more accessible, and full of features. You can do polls now, for example.  ;D

I have to get all our old favorite smileys uploaded again.

This should be our last forum move.
My score archive

MX7

I think I might prefer this one. The old look was kind of dingy.

:-*

GaijinPunch

I like light stuff as well.  This is nice...
One day I'll update the gamengai forums, but I'm one of those guys that has to tweak his own skin, so it won't be until I have loads of time.

zlk

Are the old private messages gone forever?

EOJ

There's no way to import them here. You can still login to the old forum though (you just can't view any boards).
So you can get any PMs you need that way.

@GP: I tweaked this skin a bit, may tweak it more but I think it's OK now. I think the DDP:DFK enemy sprites as indicators of read/unread posts is a nice feature.  8)
My score archive

elf

sorry but i kinda totally dislike this design.
Cant see any positive improvement except for the Ketsui-like ships that show the (no) new message status.

EOJ

I added a selectable dark purple theme, for those who don't like the light theme.
My score archive

EOJ

Added some mushi futari icons for the stats section. Any other other icons you'd like to see in the site somewhere? Most are available from www.cave.co.jp
My score archive

Gwyrgyn

The DFK sprites look kind of ugly as indicators because they don't have any transparency, and also they just kind of look weird with 'new posts' being a green thing and 'no posts' being a different red thing. Usually one thing that works well is if you just have an icon greyed out if there are no new posts.

EOJ

Alright, I got rid of the helicopter icon and just made a greyscale of the black ship for the "read" posts, while the "unread" posts icon is the full color image. Hope that's better.
My score archive

Geeb

I admit I was a bit surprised to find the forum "cleansed" today.

EOJ

Okay, I added the feedback rating system (a modified karma system). I only want to use this for the selling forums obviously, but so far I haven't figured out how to restrict it to that one forum. Shouldn't be a problem as long as people only post positives/negatives after a transaction. We can keep the feedback forum for posting more detailed comments about transactions.

So do you guys like this idea, or feel it unnecessary?
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Am I the only one that isn't remembered?  IE, my cookie thing isn't working.  I have to log in every time.

EOJ

yeah I noticed that too. It makes me re-login each time. I'll see if I can fix that.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I would also recommend a lighter color for links.   Looks like it's at the top of the CSS file.  Youll want to change these values:

a:link
{
        color: #000050;
        text-decoration: none;
}

.nav, .nav:link, .nav:visited
{
        font-family: Tahoma, arial, helvetica, serif;
        color: #000050;
        text-decoration: none;
}

EOJ

My score archive

zakk

It's making you relogin if you go to http://www.cave-stg.com/forum because it forces a redirect to http://danmakudreamer.com/forum (and cookies are not cross-domain)

However, if you submit any form/click any link/etc it all goes back to cave-stg.com. You don't HAVE to relogin, you just have to click the 'home' link and you should be ok. Fix the danmakudreamer redirect and it'll be fixed.\

edit:

oh I see. It's a dumb apache thing. "forum/" and "forum" are not the same thing; the trailing slash properly redirects to index.php, without the trailing slash it goes to danmakudreamer

Gwyrgyn

Quote from: EOJ on July 21, 2008, 07:49:25 PM
Okay, I added the feedback rating system (a modified karma system). I only want to use this for the selling forums obviously, but so far I haven't figured out how to restrict it to that one forum.

If you don't mind hard coding the template, just have the postbit template check the forumID to see if it's in the trading forum or not.

As for the icons... looks better, but yeah looks like it would be a pain to add transparencies to them. Maybe just change the background color in those areas to white so it matches? Not a big deal really, just a thought.

EOJ

@zakk: thanks a lot! I changed the main site's forum link to www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php, and altered the site's base url to www.cave-stg.com/forum/.
This should take care of the problems, as long as people don't type in www.cave-stg.com/forum.

@Gwyrgyn: I will look into your suggestion about the trader ratings (may have some questions later as I'm not exactly a pro at this stuff!). I'd definitely like to restrict the trader ratings to the trading forum.
My score archive

EOJ

Alright GP, I adjusted the link color to a lighter hue. If you had something else in mind, let me know the color code and I can try it out.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

EOJ

Okay, the redirect problem is officially gone forever. I had my host totally remove danmakudreamer.com from my account, so the primary domain is cave-stg.com
My score archive

EOJ

New update:

I got rid of the Karma system, because I found a Trader rating system mod, which I have installed. Just click on someone's Trader Rating to add feedback. You can put in the URL of the transaction there, as well as add comments.
My score archive

jammaparts

Quote from: EOJ on July 21, 2008, 01:32:27 PM
I added a selectable dark purple theme, for those who don't like the light theme.

Very nice...I like the mystic theme. Better contrast on my mobile browser (and the changed layout loads quicker too).

EOJ

I fixed a problem that wouldn't let members leave trader ratings for other members. Let me know if anyone is still having problems.
My score archive

Shalashaska

Just got back from RIMPAC and wanted to say that I like these new forums a lot more than the old ones. Keep up the good work EOJ! :righton:

zakk

I keep clicking those 'previous/next' thread links because I think they're for previous/next page :(