Main Menu

So, is the ride over?

Started by GaijinPunch, February 26, 2009, 06:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

DS2: 3d shite
DOJBLX: Lame port (semi expected... and I'm sorry, patches are not going to save this one).
KetsuiX: Probably same as above

This is a dark time I would say, and I've been slowly reintroducing myself to arcade games I missed, or was too big of a pussy to play.  Now, I feel somewhat vindicated. 

So, are the good times over?  Cave was pretty much the last company pumping out quality 2D stuff (save fighting games).  Maybe the doujin market will get better.

EOJ

If all Cave games are low quality realtime 3D from here on out, then yes, the ride is definitely over. But there is a very real chance that their next vertical shooter could be in 2D, perhaps even hi res. Perhaps the reception of DS2 will lead them one way or the other.

The quality of the DS port will also tell us how grave the situation is. If the slowdown is all messed up (or totally absent, as it was in the xbox festa demo of the game), then you will be able to see that Cave doesn't really care about the exactness of ports.

I'm very thankful they made so many quality shooters in 2D. The SH3 stuff alone is so good and so deep it could keep me busy for years. I will miss the new SH3 game released every 6 months though. They made life just a little sweeter.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jpj

everything dies eventually   :-X

and yeah, i got so many shooters that i could rinse out for years, and their back catalogue speaks for itself

i blame otomedius's sales figures  =D

PROMETHEUS

I'm happy because they got to make mushihimesama futari ^_^

Jonpachi

We don't know if they're using 2D collision or 3D collision for Death Smiles 2, so I don't think I'd be so quick to judge. I totally agree that it's not the preferred visual style, but so long as they stick to a 2D collision model it should play just as well. Look to Street Fighter 4 as an example of a 2D game all dolled up to look 3D while still retaining precision. I've also had a lot of fun with Shikigami III, and even on the Wii it feels tight and none the worse for wear even if it is somewhat ugly to look at. Cave haven't steered me wrong, even when they put out a bit of a dud (Pink Sweets) they've been able to come back later on with a killer title. I'll hold out hope until it's on location test and reports start coming in of floaty control or imprecise collision.

EOJ

Quote from: Jonpachi on February 26, 2009, 08:17:33 PM
Look to Street Fighter 4 as an example of a 2D game all dolled up to look 3D while still retaining precision.

Yes, but SFIV actually looks like modern 3D, not 3D from a first gen PS2 game.
I think SFIV is awesome by the way. If Cave could make 3D shooters that look as good as SFIV I'd probably be happy. But I think I'll have to wait 10-15 years for that and by then I don't think I'll be interested in these games anymore anyway.

Cave haven't steered me wrong, even when they put out a bit of a dud (Pink Sweets)

Blasphemy!  :cool: Quite a few people (including myself) think highly of this game.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Kaneda

If they stick with the cruddy 3D I'll be disappointed, but I'm sure the gameplay will still be solid.

Still, if they went bankrupt tomorrow, I wouldn't be too sad. I'm amazed at how long they've gone creating classic games and will continue to enjoy their library for as long as I still care about this hobby. Each game is so complex, there are more than enough to keep me busy. I wouldn't mind if things returned to the glory years of 2002-03 (Ketsui, stellar DOJ and Galuda ports) but we all knew it had to end someday.

Jonpachi

Ah fair enough, that was a cheap shot on my part. I've only gotten to play two credits on PS before, so I'm in no position to judge. The rank-maxing, extra-life-scamming gameplay just doesn't sound like my thing, but I digress.

Back on subject, I wonder where the hell the 3D artists are that created all the models for the renders Cave have been using all these years? There have been some wonderfully detailed models produced by that studio, so its odd to see them using such simple 3D tech. I suppose it's likely more a matter of production cost than anything, but they must understand that the fans associate them as one of the last true 2D-only studios. It won't sway my interest in the title until I hear gameplay is broken, but I have to think that fan backlash will likely send them racing back to the 2D drawing board before too long. It makes sense, given that DS was one of their more popular arcade titles in recent years, and as such a relatively safe place to experiment.

One more theory: What if this is an attempt to make the games more console port friendly? It should theoretically be easier to port a 3D game engine to a modern console than to try and emulate a 2D one. If it's running on some middleware like Renderware it would be an absolute cinch to port it. Perhaps they're planning a more console-centric future to bolster their income.

GaijinPunch

Yeah, the back catalogue is really what keeps this thing going.  I've cleared most of what I want to, but scoring higher is always a priority.  One good thing about it though: less expensive shit to buy!

gsl

Quote from: GaijinPunchMaybe the doujin market will get better.
Can you imagine what would happen if the OCD required to no-miss both loops of e.g. Daioujou was applied to the creation of doujin shooters?  We'll be able to look forward to epic doujin released with utterly ridiculous mechanics for YEARS to come.  :laugh:

eckart

Let`s light up candels for another low res. ;)

tiw

Quote from: gsl on February 28, 2009, 08:17:56 PM
Quote from: GaijinPunchMaybe the doujin market will get better.
Can you imagine what would happen if the OCD required to no-miss both loops of e.g. Daioujou was applied to the creation of doujin shooters?  We'll be able to look forward to epic doujin released with utterly ridiculous mechanics for YEARS to come.  :laugh:
I'd like to see more serious doujin games that don't just imitate Touhou, at least. Airrade AIR, Trouble Witches, and Sispri Gauntlet come to mind here.