Akai Katana to be released in N.America by RSG (Q2 2012)

Started by mdsfx, January 26, 2012, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdsfx

Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't see a topic for it. LINK: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rising-star-games-cracks-america/090323

"British publisher Rising Star Games has opened an office in the US. Rising Star Games Inc is based in California and will release its first title ? shooter Akai Katana ? on Xbox 360 in Q2 2012. The firm has also opened Rising Star Games Digital, which will handle downloadable releases.?After eight years of fantastic success in bringing the best Eastern games to Europe, we?re ready to expand our business, engaging more consumers than ever before in more territories and on digital platforms,? said Rising Star MD Martin Defries. ?Rising Star Games Digital has been something we?ve been working on for a while. We envisage a huge growth in downloadable product over the coming years, and intend to play a big part shaping the future development of our exciting industry.? The news is great news for Cave fans, amongst others, who will finally have an official means to get hold of the developer's Western releases."

Let_It_Be

So if I understand correctly, this will be a physical release and that the part about the digital firm was unrelated. Correct?

mdsfx

Quote from: Let_It_Be on January 28, 2012, 10:02:39 PM
So if I understand correctly, this will be a physical release and that the part about the digital firm was unrelated. Correct?

RSG has confirmed this will be a disc release (check their twitter):

Lik Chan
LikChan Lik Chan
@RisingStarGames is Akai Katana for US gonna be retail boxed copy?
26 Jan

in reply to ↑
torisu
@RisingStarGames torisu
@LikChan yes, it will be retail boxed copy - thank you
26 Jan via web

Let_It_Be

SomeMist

nice! this will be the 2nd game I will double dip for (death smiles being the first).

ookitarepanda

I guess they couldn't come up with a faceplate to make for this one  :laugh: Remember faceplates?!

I thought I saw somewhere the Euro release is 4/27? Hm. Another month away for this one, but I guess it's for the best, so I can finish off what I've been playing recently.

EOJ

After watching the promo video, I noticed they changed the font used for your score in the game. I definitely prefer the original font, the new one looks like something from a cookie-cutter ninja Flash game. Maybe there will be an option in the game to switch it back to the original font.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

TonK

Quote from: Cave-STG on April 24, 2012, 10:20:59 PM
After watching the promo video, I noticed they changed the font used for your score in the game. I definitely prefer the original font, the new one looks like something from a cookie-cutter ninja Flash game. Maybe there will be an option in the game to switch it back to the original font.

I'm guessing that will be the first thing on the list of fuck ups.

The Japanese version for 360 is pretty much flawless.

Muchi Muchi Spork

There is something about the font in the end credits of the game on the pcb, some other company made it. Maybe there would have been a license fee involved if they would have used it and they need to cut corners to keep it at the (rather nice) price. I don't know, but...nice game. :cool:

EOJ

Fonts too expensive to localize? Now I've heard everything.
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Just guessing, don't really have any idea why else you would skip it if it wasn't to save money or a hassle.

EOJ

Yeah, sadly I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. But I think it's more likely they thought the Western audience would prefer the hip new NINJA font they whipped up for the localization.
My score archive

Daverost

You'd be surprised what some companies try to charge for stupid crap like fonts. I don't think they did anything like that with the DDP:R release, did they?

Anyway, apparently if you get the EU version from ShopTo, you get a free shirt.

Game & Offer: http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/VIDEO%20GAMES/XB2AK00-Akai%20Katana.html
Shirt: http://www.shopto.net/ALL/MERCHANDISE/TSHIRTAKAI-Akai%20Katana%20T%20Shirt.html

I'm hoping Amazon somehow picks that up as a last-minute offer for the NA version, but I'm not holding my breath.

darkidol

Quote from: Daverost on April 25, 2012, 09:31:11 AM
You'd be surprised what some companies try to charge for stupid crap like fonts. I don't think they did anything like that with the DDP:R release, did they?

Anyway, apparently if you get the EU version from ShopTo, you get a free shirt.

Game & Offer: http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/VIDEO%20GAMES/XB2AK00-Akai%20Katana.html
Shirt: http://www.shopto.net/ALL/MERCHANDISE/TSHIRTAKAI-Akai%20Katana%20T%20Shirt.html

I'm hoping Amazon somehow picks that up as a last-minute offer for the NA version, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the heads up.  The pre-order service for DDP:R and anything else I've pre-ordered through Amazon has always sucked so was looking for an alternative.

The fonts in DDP:R look the same as other versions to me (arcade board/JP port) and the font in Black Label has the higher case numbers.

cstarflare

They probably had to change the numbers anyway to add a more readable (to a Western audience) comma system and decided to spice things up since most of the game's fonts are in an east-y style. The stylized font looks a little strange next to the other ingame text (which aren't nearly as ninja), but part of that might just be that I'm used to Cave's usual score fonts. It doesn't really bug me, it's just a noticeable (if small) change.

I'm just happy it's got commas.

QuoteThere is something about the font in the end credits of the game on the pcb, some other company made it. Maybe there would have been a license fee involved if they would have used it and they need to cut corners to keep it at the (rather nice) price. I don't know, but...nice game.

It's probably one of the menu or results screens fonts. It's specifically called [hip new] "Ninja Font" in the credits and the old font wasn't very ninja-y.

darkidol

I saw a profile had appeared yesterday on the Xbox Live Marketplace (UK, and EU I assume).  There was only a Premium Theme - Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NljyW9tAk5I) - which I bought blind but really ended up liking.  However in the game's gallery, the screenshots showed the original font as opposed to that 'Ninja font'.  Is it allowed (not acceptable - allowed) to show preview pics of a version different to the one released - not that it's a buy-breaker ( :laugh: ) or I want to see RSG in trouble (I buy games from them in genre's I don't even like to support them) - just a general question?

ookitarepanda

Yeah it's allowed. Lots of developers get out of that mess easily by putting the text somewhere of "Images represent a game in development." But who knows. We won't know about that font until the game is out, right?

darkidol

Quote from: ookitarepanda on May 03, 2012, 04:59:15 PM
Yeah it's allowed. Lots of developers get out of that mess easily by putting the text somewhere of "Images represent a game in development." But who knows. We won't know about that font until the game is out, right?

Yes, it's certainly looking like that.  May be worthwhile messaging the RSG workers that engage with fans on websites, or on their own site - I think they're pretty active, friendly and helpful from what I've read.

AweOfShe

XBox Live - AweOfShe1

dan76

I've briefly checked out the various options and the 4:3 screen resizing problem in Arcade mode (Origin) has been fixed for this release.

Nice :righton:

XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

darkidol

Excellent, doesn't look like any last minute delays or disasters - ShopTo emailed to say the game plus t-shirt is packaged and ready to be sent.  :righton:

darkidol

Well, that was a shock, coming home this afternoon to the game having arrived!!  BIG thanks to Daverost for mentioning ShopTo, there is no way I would have the game right now if I had pre-ordered with Amazon.  It would have been a week from now at least, if not later.  This service from ShopTo I haven't experienced since over a decade ago when gameplay.co.uk used to send my Dreamcast pre-orders so I'd get them the day before release.  Amazon have been fine for normal orders but I won't be using them again for games.

On to the game/package:

T-shirt was bundled round the game in a jiffy bag (hence why it's on an ironing board  :lol: ).  It's labelled large and looked it (never tried it on, but I'm 5'11 with medium/stocky build and it looked like it would fit fine).  Made in Bangladesh but the quality of the print was better than I thought it would be.  If washed carefully it could stay vibrant for a few occasions I reckon.  For some of the French players that no doubt will be getting it, it would be good to wear at one of their STG meets or something.

Reverse sleeve for anyone interested, no point posting the front:

Inside, nice colour game disc:

And instruction manual:

Was really impressed by this, 88 pages overall (21 for the English section) and though I never read any of it it looks like it explains everything you need to know.  Feels really meaty to hold (...) and looks really really nice in full colour.  It is GREAT to see everything in the English section translated into French, Italian and Spanish, because even though I don't know those languages those are the countries I see lots of players from on the PAL leaderboards.  The DDP:R full colour booklet was structured the exact same as this one and explained everything you'd need knowledge of to play, but only in English.  It looks like they have saw data from where they have players from - through them contacting them, looking at the in-game leaderboards, or general sales data - and done that little bit extra for this release.  It was unexpected, but very welcome.

Off to play it now. :righton:

emphatic

Orochi S

Lovely stuff! I've got mine preordered with Amazon using free shipping, so it'll take a few days. It only cost ?20.77 - amazingly cheap. No t-shirt, but I'm Hulk Hogan size, so no big loss for me  :laugh:

I've got the Japanese version, but I want to support RS!!

AweOfShe

XBox Live - AweOfShe1

Daverost

Quote from: darkidol on May 10, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
BIG thanks to Daverost for mentioning ShopTo, there is no way I would have the game right now if I had pre-ordered with Amazon.  It would have been a week from now at least, if not later.  This service from ShopTo I haven't experienced since over a decade ago when gameplay.co.uk used to send my Dreamcast pre-orders so I'd get them the day before release.  Amazon have been fine for normal orders but I won't be using them again for games.

Err, you bet (b'-')b

That shirt looks quite nice.

sh00g

Quote from: darkidol on May 10, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
snip

Off to play it now. :righton:

Nice, thanks for the screenshots.

NA Amazon doesn't look to ship out until the 21st.

charlienash87

this game is growing on me. 3 modes gives this a lot of variety and homework to do. can someone tell me what the button layout in the actual arcade is? no matter how i set my buttons they just don't feel right
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara