Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

GaijinPunch

EOJ

This has the potential to be the coolest game ever. I always loved the look and sound of Mushi, but imagine being able to play it with a nice new scoring system that doesn't kill your fingers or require you to wire some elaborate rapid fire setup.

The screenshots show credits inserted, so it doesn't look like a "home version" PCB like Akai Katana Limited Ver. Let's hope some arcades get this.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Yeah, definitely.  The main thing that sucked about this from memory: there is no Maniac mode, which is the only one I really loved.  And while I liked the unique scoring system of Maniac & Ultra, it just gets fucking painful after a while.  No way could I ever got back to that now.

EOJ

Quote from: GaijinPunch on May 21, 2011, 04:54:10 AM
The main thing that sucked about this from memory: there is no Maniac mode, which is the only one I really loved.  

Are you thinking of the Matsuri Blue Label version? It looks like this version is somewhat different from that, and the screenshots show Maniac Mode is in it:

Anyway, I slapped it on the front page with info on the changes:

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1489
My score archive

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on May 21, 2011, 04:40:33 AM
What in the fuck.

That's mildly put. I hope this is an indication of a 360 port.  :righton:

JOW

:o best news this year.

Quote from: EOJ on May 21, 2011, 04:43:39 AM
The screenshots show credits inserted, so it doesn't look like a "home version" PCB like Akai Katana Limited Ver. Let's hope some arcades get this.

I sincerely hope this is the case - the recent trend of prioritising home port / adaptations over genuine arcade material almost felt like the beginning of the end for their brutal vertical shooters.

Having said that though I'd have a wager on this reaching the xbox 360 in some way or another - just let the arcades have a good crack at it first!

edit:
Quote from: emphatic on May 21, 2011, 05:17:19 AM
I hope this is an indication of a 360 port.  :righton:
...beat me to it  :)

EOJ

My prediction: this will be an XBLA port (Mushi/Mushi 1.5 pack) with no hi res graphic upgrades, 800MS points, within the next year.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Okay, so Maniac mode is in.  That's reassuring. Honestly, the 1.5 Matsuri one was not all that.  It was an interesting tweak, but you couldn't sell it on it's own.

My prediction: You'll never see this, the Personal version of AK:LE, or DDP Campaign on any console.

HVL

Quote from: GaijinPunch on May 21, 2011, 06:06:42 AM
My prediction: You'll never see this, the Personal version of AK:LE, or DDP Campaign on any console.

I bet on this too. I just can't see them pumping out two special flavor PCBs and then releasing them as $10 downloadables a year later.

Very surprising news. Better than not doing anything arcade-related, I guess.

EOJ

Quote from: HVL on May 21, 2011, 06:31:38 AM

I just can't see them pumping out two special flavor PCBs and then releasing them as $10 downloadables a year later.

-Guwange Blue Label was a Matsuri ver PCB, included in the $10 XBLA port. I think they would have sold Guwange Blue Label as a PCB too, if they could still make those PCBs.

-We got a port of MMP Matsuri ver for free basically (as preorder DLC).

And let's not forget Cave started selling DFK BL PCBs in their shop for 180,000 yen a bit before the X360 port came out. People bought them even though they knew the port was coming soon.
My score archive

SuperPang

Cave are a business and they'll do whatever makes them money but yes I also hope these remain PCB exclusive. It would be nice to see them show a bit of respect for the collectors for once. 1,500 Yen Guwange art anyone? :whyioughtta:

And yes, I will be all over this.

EDIT: For some reason I assumed this was Futari  :facepalm: Wow. This certainly was unexpected.

Van_Artic

Quote from: EOJ on May 21, 2011, 05:42:10 AM
My prediction: this will be an XBLA port (Mushi/Mushi 1.5 pack) with no hi res graphic upgrades, 800MS points, within the next year.
let's hope it happens  :righton:

skykid

Lol, the milking continues!

Anyone get the feeling Cave are using up the last of their SH3 stock with these limited arrange releases?

Seems like a sneaky clearout to me.  :-\
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

emphatic

Quote from: skykid on May 21, 2011, 08:28:56 AM

Lol, the milking continues!

Anyone get the feeling Cave are using up the last of their SH3 stock with these limited arrange releases?

Seems like a sneaky clearout to me.  :-\

You should just be happy that DOJ is on PGM hardware.  :laugh:

njiska

Again What in the fuck? This is awesome and extremely unexpected news. Here's hoping you end up bbeing right about an eventual port. Guess we'll just have to wait for more news.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Monouchi

What the fuck?
It came from the blue.
And I was planning to step into a pcb shop when Im going to Japan and buy the original Mushi...
..I always disliked the weak start of the shots, start with Max sounds amazing.

But about the quote:  :righton:

Shalashaska

Wow very cool and unexpected! And not that long until we (hopefully) see videos coming in. I wonder if there's a new TLB?

emphatic

Muchi Muchi Spork

Yeah my prediction is they will sell a different Matsuri PCB version of the other games on future festivals and also that I won't be able to afford any of them.

Raiden

EOJ

The profit margin on the PCBs they sell from their shop is crazy. The PCB itself probably doesn't cost more than $100 to make, and they code these "Matsuri tweaked" versions in a few hours of their spare time, fiddling around. It all adds up to bags o' money.

Good for them, though. There are people willing to pay $2000+ for their games and most companies can't say that. Whatever helps keep the console/arcade development division profitable.

Quote from: Raiden on May 21, 2011, 10:17:19 PM
360 port...?

Some time in the future or never. Flip a coin.
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Yeah my issue with this is the weekend sale only thing. Hopefully it's going to be like the home Akai Katana where it initially goes up for a day or 2 and then later it's up for sale for months.

EOJ

I'd bet on that. Cave won't turn away from easy money.
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Then it shall be mine lol... They do turn away from easy money all the time though. The entire bit with only selling stuff for a few hours out of a year is turning away from easy money. It creates demand but I think overall they'd sell more if things didn't sell out in 5 minutes. They are opening up with the international stuff though. Pretty exciting. I was thinking we had seen the last game on this hardware for sure and now this, this is exciting. I want a shot at it and not from someone that buys it and jacks up the price.

I hope all the Matsuri versions take coins and go in arcades.

EOJ

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on May 21, 2011, 11:06:58 PM
They do turn away from easy money all the time though. The entire bit with only selling stuff for a few hours out of a year is turning away from easy money.

I can't think of much that they really only sell for a "few hours out of a year". Pretty much everything shows up again on their shop soon after, or in subsequent festivals. As you mentioned in your previous post, Akai Katana Limited Ver showed up again after its first offering.
My score archive

Special World

Really hoping that this and vanilla Mushi get a 360 release. Looking forward to seeing some vids up eventually as well, as I have no idea what the scoring will entail. Mushi's a pretty great game, but the scoring always seemed a little abstract to me.

GaijinPunch

-Guwange Blue Label was a Matsuri ver PCB, included in the $10 XBLA port. I think they would have sold Guwange Blue Label as a PCB too, if they could still make those PCBs.

-We got a port of MMP Matsuri ver for free basically (as preorder DLC).

And let's not forget Cave started selling DFK BL PCBs in their shop for 180,000 yen a bit before the X360 port came out. People bought them even though they knew the port was coming soon.

But those were never released as special PCBs.  They also didn't release Futari 1.51 (of which there were 3 given away as prizes).  And, let's not forget that time after time they've stated the Campaign Version will not be ported.  While the cash would be nice, they would basically be pulling the rug out from under themselves from the handful of people that will buy these boards. 

Quoteand they code these "Matsuri tweaked" versions in a few hours of their spare time, fiddling around. It all adds up to bags o' money.

Well, we know for sure this one has more added as it's got Maniac mode.  If it was truly an algorithmical change, then they'd surely have just left it in at the actual Matsuri.  Also, the slowdown in Ultra was really choppy.  I'd be shocked if a true product version didn't have that taken care of.  In short, they probably put some more work into this one.

SuperPang

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on May 21, 2011, 09:20:14 PM
Yeah my prediction is they will sell a different Matsuri PCB version of the other games on future festivals and also that I won't be able to afford any of them.
It concerns my wallet that they've gone back to their first SH-3 title too. Ibara v1.5 next? :laugh: