Main Menu

DSi

Started by EOJ, June 24, 2009, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I got a black DSi recently (USA version), and I love it. I gave up on the DS lite because of the small screen and other features I didn't like about it, but with the DSi, I can finally enjoy DS games again. I've been hooked on Dragon Quest IV, and it's much more enjoyable than when I played it on the DS Lite (months ago). While the screens are only .25 inch larger on the DSi, it's a big improvement for me.

Anyone else get a DSi? The main drawback is the lack of a GBA slot, but honestly, I never used it (I own zero GBA games). They will supposedly start selling GBA, GB, and GBC games on the DSi shop soon.

Other than my CAVE PCBs, and Deathsmiles on the X360, all I play nowadays are games on my DSi and PSP. I guess I've become some weird arcade/handheld gamer. I just don't like modern console games much, and I love the way I can play portables in quick spurts and easily jump right back into them later. Works well in my busy life.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

HVL

As a DSL owner, DSi doesn't really have anything to offer, so no. The larger screens are nice but doesn't justify the increased power consumption.

EOJ

You're right, the battery life is a little better on the DS lite, but I don't notice any difference in day to day play. I can play for hours on the DSi and still see my battery at a full charge. I just pop it in the charger once a week and it's fine. I did the same with my DS Lite.

The new system menu is so much better than the DS lite, as are the new volume buttons, power button, and so on. I also find the dpad and buttons to be a bit better on the DSi (the dpad has a nice click to it that reminds me of an arcade joystick). The cameras are pretty worthless (I don't even know why the put them in here), but other than that I love the system, and would never switch back to a DS Lite.

The main selling feature is the new screens, obviously. They're bigger, brighter, and better. Another nice feature is the SD card slot.

I sold my DS Lite for $100, and bought the DSi for $170, so it cost me about $70 for the upgrade. Well worth it for me.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

gsl

GBA compatibility is the big stopping block for me.  Granted I still have my SP around here somewhere, but the screen brightness and quality isn't nearly as good as on my DS Lite, and to go from a handheld which currently plays two types of games to one that plays, well, one, is a downgrade I don't much feel like paying for.  I do like the idea of the SD card and the DSiWare and will probably look at the system more favorably once some real must-haves start trickling down the pipe.  If classic GB, GBC and GBA titles start being offered that will definitely get me to give the system a second look, as it could mean the chance to pick up some of the obscure or rare titles I haven't had the patience or money to get on the original hardware.

Then again my Space Invaders Extreme paddle won't ever work on the DSi, and with as often as I break that game out for a few rounds I'm going to need something awfully convincing to give it up.

I am liking what I hear about the DSi's buttons, though.  After finally giving up my worn and scratched launch DS for a shiny new DS Lite, I have to say the buttons are definitely a step back in comfort and precision.