Main Menu

Top ten games of 2009

Started by adverse, December 28, 2009, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

I'm genuinely curious what you chaps' top ten games of the year were for 2009.  If you don't have ten, that's fine, list less.  I would assume shooters would be big on most people's lists, but we have big SFIV players like KOMA and Huu here, so who knows!

Rules:  All games must have been published in the 2009 calendar year.

SuperPang

The Deathsmiles port for me. Minor niggles aside, it had an accurate (if ugly) arcade port, pretty X360 mode with an arguably improved approach to the slowdown and a fantastic arrange mode in v1.1. Futari is an overall more technically refined and impressive package but I always preferred DS and the extras are the icing on the cake.

In other genres I think SFIV and Blazblue are two superb fighters and I also enjoyed Forza 3 and Uncharted 2.

HUU

Quote from: adverse on December 28, 2009, 07:27:25 AM
I'm genuinely curious what you chaps' top ten games of the year were for 2009.  If you don't have ten, that's fine, list less.  I would assume shooters would be big on most people's lists, but we have big SFIV players like KOMA and Huu here, so who knows!
Rules:  All games must have been published in the 2009 calendar year.
In 2009, I've only played games from 2008 or older!!   :-\
My biggest games : SFIV and ddp dfk are both from 2008.
And about other genres  ??? I can't tell .. I don't play those games so much.

fuse

Top 3 would probably be Bayonetta, Blazblue, and Death Smiles. I also quite enjoyed Borderlands recently. If SFIV CS counts that'd be up there too, but personally I found Blazblue more enjoyable on pretty much all fronts.

The only DS game I really enjoyed this year is ages old (Flower, Sun and Rain), and seeing as TvC was 2008, the only Wii game I even played was Sin & Punishment :(

Megalixir

Futari, Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, DEATHSMILES, MHFU, Outrun (XBLA).

I haven't played a lot of titles released this year actually.

EOJ

I enjoyed these 10 the most (all JP versions unless noted otherwise):

PS3: SFIV (USA)
XBOX 360: Deathsmiles, Futari, DDPDOJBLEX
DS: Saga 2, Mario & Luigi RPG 3, Dragon Quest V (USA), Dragon Quest IX
PSP: Queen's Blade, Lunar HoSS

If I had to order them I'd do it as:

1)Futari
2)Deathsmiles
3)Dragon Quest V
4)Queen's Blade
5)SFIV
6)Saga 2
7)Mario & Luigi RPG 3
8)DDPDOJBLEX
9)Dragon Quest IX
10) Lunar HoSS

I'll get to play Zelda Spirit Tracks, Muramasa: Demon Blade, and New Super Mario Wii in a week, and I think at least one of those would make my list too (replacing one of the lower ranked games). So maybe I'll update the list after I play them.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

KOMA

Quote from: adverse on December 28, 2009, 07:27:25 AM
but we have big SFIV players like KOMA and Huu here, so who knows!
I was on friends matchmaking last night for fews hours  =D
SF IV is my top 1
Deathsmiles
Bayonetta
All X360 games.

Ast-Kot

I haven't played a lot of titles this year except shmups but I had really enjoyed:
Oboro Muramasa for Wii
Dragon Quest IV for DS (still playing it)
Mushihimesama Futari 360
Deathsmiles 360
Subarashiki kono sekai DS
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

fuse

Quote from: Ast-Kot on December 29, 2009, 06:47:03 AM
Subarashiki kono sekai DS
That was up there as one of my GOTYs last year :)

antares

1. Deathsmiles (360)
2. Futari (360)

I've not yet decided which one I like more but at the moment Deathsmiles makes my #1
Maybe it's because I always preferred horis over verts and DS has such a motivating scoring system.

3. Space Invaders Extreme (XBLA)

I may be the only person who thinks the PSP version is better than the DS version and since the XBLA version builds up on the PSP one I like this the most. Compared to the PSP version this one has backgrounds by Jeff Minter and 2 new playmodes with new levels.
I really played this game a lot this year and I'm still at #3 on the overall leaderboard :D

4. Arkanoid Live (XBLA)

I'm a big fan of Arkanoid and this one is the best home version yet imo.

5. Forza 3 (360)

The first racing sim I've ever played which actually feels like really driving a car at high speed (that is if you use a wheel and turn all driving help options off).

6. Zen Pinball (PSN)

Haven't found much time to play this yet but it's one of the best video pinballs ever made imo.

6. House Of The Dead Overkill (Wii)

I don't own a Wii yet but the lightgun shooters would be the main reason for me to get one.
Overkill pales gameplaywise in comparison to the other HotD games but it is so ridiculous funny that I've finished it several times.

7. Shadow Complex (XBLA)

The story is awful but otherwise it's great game which I enjoyed very much.

8. Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack (Wii)

Another great lightgun shooter and it's a spot on conversion of all 3 Mad Dog laserdisc games.

Since I can't think of another game that's good enough for a Top 10 I keep the last two spots empty for Sin & Punishment 2 and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii) which both I haven't played yet but I bet they're great :)

adverse

Thanks everybody for the feedback.  I'm going to repost the top 10 I put up at SRK, although there may be a late change-out (50 cent: Blood on the Sand is amazing  :laugh:).

QuoteMy top 10

1. Mushimesama Futari 360
2. Sin and Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky Wii
3. Modern Warfare 2 360
4. Bayonetta 360
5. Shadow Complex 360
6. Deathsmiles 360
7. Street Fighter IV 360/PS3
8. Killzone 2 PS3
9. Senko no Ronde Duo Arcade
10. Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos PSP

Mushihimesama Futari is definitely my pick of the year. Beginner-friendly shooter that you can take to the most extreme if you choose to. Has beautiful graphics and options, plus scoring systems that are unique for each of its numerous modes.

Sin & Punishment 2 I loved, and it's probably the most dramatic action game I've ever played, with constantly shifting environments and just a totally gonzo imagination. One of the only reasons I own a Wii. If Japanese gamers didn't get it, I'm hoping American gamers will when it's released next year in the west.

MW2 and Bayonetta are both exceptional games and I love both. Bayonetta is finally a mature, sarcastic and sexy game that doesn't take itself too seriously. Combat system is awesome and there's plenty of replay content.

Shadow Complex was, beyond the controversy, a phenomenal DLC game, and I genuinely enjoyed my time with it.

Deathsmiles 360, another CAVE shooter for the 360, well ported and with the awesome 1.1 mode, which is just a clusterfuck of gold point items jumping everywhere and suicide bullets spawning from enemies.

SFIV, shit nowadays I don't really enjoy playing it, but I have to give shoutouts for the excellent port, and for bringing the fighting game scene back to life.

Killzone 2, grinded like crazy and got the top 1% achievement. The game was fun enough throughout MP to keep my interest.

Senko no Ronde 2 is a fun shooter/fighter hybrid that came out in the arcades in J-land this year. I love the art, and am looking forward to its release on the 360 next year.

Queen's Blade PSP is a strategy RPG that involves smashing the armor off of female enemies and enjoying the sexy aftermath. Plenty of anime cutscenes to perv over too. Oh and the game is fun!

2008 games that I loved in 2009:

Valkyria Chronicles (Best RPG I've played in the last three years)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (Arcade shooter that destroyed my life for a couple months)
Dead Space (Terrifying but essential)

Games I wish I played because everyone else loves them:

Demon's Souls

Biggest Disappointments:

The Last Remnant (trash)
Oboro Muramasa (love the art, but boring hack and slash)
FFXIII demo (thank god I didn't waste money on the real thing)

charlienash87

Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

fuse