Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu [CAVE 2008]

Started by EOJ, January 28, 2008, 03:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shalashaska

Am I the only one that doesn't really care for ridiculously large scores? It just sort of cheapens the experience for me, I don't know. Maybe I'm just bitter because I can't break the 200 million mark on DOJ. :P

Ast-Kot

A vid of a good first stage of a 5+billion runs today.....

http://www.megaupload.com/it/?d=4X4HV053

SMN
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

SuperPang

Cave are taking PCBs back to fix the counter

oh and throwing in an extra character to say sorry!

sven666

Quote from: SuperPangoh and throwing in an extra character to say sorry!
heres hoping its another mecha-loli!! :whyioughtta: haha..

drboom

Quote from: SuperPangCave are taking PCBs back to fix the counter

Did they give you a specific 'fix' list?

elf

Quote from: EOJNice hand-drawn maps of stages 1 & 2:

http://www3.diary.ne.jp/logdisp.cgi?user=343869&log=20080604
sweet
talk about mspaint is awesome

MrMonkeyMan

Quote from: drboom
Quote from: SuperPangCave are taking PCBs back to fix the counter

Did they give you a specific 'fix' list?
This is what the email said.

QuoteCave recall Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu due to Game score is not enough high.
Will you send them back PCB for change and will send it with one caracter
Added , Cave said
I first read it as they will add an extra digit to the score, but an extra playable character would be nice.

elf

Quote from: MrMonkeyMan
QuoteCave recall Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu due to Game score is not enough high.
Will you send them back PCB for change and will send it with one caracter
Added , Cave said
I first read it as they will add an extra digit to the score, but an extra playable character would be nice.
i also guessed they actually meant an additional digit with "character" and not a playable one

Budloc

that doesn't solve the problem that 5th stage worth 90 Billions and the other stages only 10 Billions.

zlk

The way I read it is that character just means extra digit.  I hope I am wrong as there is extra space in the selection menu for a new type of ship, but I seriously doubt this will happen.

SuperPang

Actually, you may be right. Quote Yumi:

"Cave recall DAFUKKATSU  for expand score and one caracter add" :|

I might check that...

jpj

Plasmo

Quotethat doesn't solve the problem that 5th stage worth 90 Billions and the other stages only 10 Billions.
That's a common "problem" 90% of Cave shmups have. There's absolutely no need to change that.

jpj

you might double your score from a stage 5, typically; but not increase your score by x10  :|

especially as this is 1-5, from a 2-loop game...

EOJ

They'll likely have to make that extra digit cross over into an alphabetic system when it passes 9, like in Ibara. 1+trillion may be possible in the Ura loop, after all.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Quote from: EOJThey'll likely have to make that extra digit cross over into an alphabetic system when it passes 9, like in Ibara. 1+trillion may be possible in the Ura loop, after all.
I think that's more for show than anything.  Showing in hex is just a different representation of the same number.  The limits are still the same (although in Ibara's case I'm sure it's a hex value + an integral value).

bitkid

They probably knew this was gonna happen all along but had to get the game out due to internal pressure.

zakk

Quote from: GaijinPunch
Quote from: EOJThey'll likely have to make that extra digit cross over into an alphabetic system when it passes 9, like in Ibara. 1+trillion may be possible in the Ura loop, after all.
I think that's more for show than anything.  Showing in hex is just a different representation of the same number.  The limits are still the same (although in Ibara's case I'm sure it's a hex value + an integral value).
If the limit is based on string length then it gives you a higher limit. And in the case of DFK it looks like it was a 'we don't have anymore room on the screen' issue. Especially since 99,999,999,999 makes no sense as any sort of hardware/space related limitation.

Cave is hilariously arbitrary about stuff like this. The Futari counter stop is a great example. It's not like rolling over to 4 billion would have taken any more screen space, and they had at least 294 million more points to go before rolling over a 32 bit unsigned int. But the counter didn't stop at 4,294,967,296. It stopped at a number with a bunch of nines. It just looks cooler.

(also it's not hex!)

SuperPang

Quote from: YumiDear Joe
Thank you for your email.
Cave will add a characeter with replacement PCB.
Your kindly cooperation is highly appreciated.
I'm still confused. Maybe Yumi got the wrong idea from Cave herself.

GaijinPunch

Quote from: SuperPangMaybe Yumi got the wrong idea
Apparently not a stretch.

lowemark

from shmups.com

Just announced on mixi :
Version 1.5 is due on the 24th of June.

Changes here:
・プレイヤーキャラクター2機種に加え、新たに1機種を追加!!
・ゲーム仕様のバランスを一部再調整しました。
・点数の上限桁数を増やしました。

Roughly translated:
- 1 new type of ship with 2 different control schemes
- Balance adjustments
- The number of digits for the score has been increased (by how many digits is not known)

SuperPang

Well props to Cave for sorting that out so quickly

Ast-Kot

It will arrive this tuesday at Alpha Station:D
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

Kaneda

EOJ

Changes in ver 1.5, according to Mikado staff, who already have their PCB:

-The new ship is the green helicopter.
-The score's upper limits have been increased (they don't mention how many digits were added)
-The bomb stock has been reduced. Even if you pick up a bomb item with zero lives left,
it does not fill your bomb stock to maximum.
-A new "autobomb" feature, like in Mushi's Arrange mode, has been added as a way to appeal to beginners.
They don't mention if this is a feature you can optionally use or not, but I sure hope it's optional.
My score archive

elf

Quote from: EOJChanges in ver 1.5, according to Mikado staff, who already have their PCB:

-The new ship is the green helicopter.
-The bomb stock has been reduced. Even if you pick up a bomb item with zero lives left,
it does not fill your bomb stock to maximum.
awesome

EOJ

First vid of 1.5, using the new green helicopter:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3751332

You can see they changed the score display on top - you now have your score, and the high score on the far right, but no 2P score. When you play 2P simultaneous the all time high score is replaced by the 2P's score. It looks like they added 2 digits to the score.

The autobomb is not selectable, it's just part of the bomb style now. This really sucks. You'll probably have to use power style if you're serious about score.

The scoring has increased by 2x-3x. So the same pattern in ver 1.0 that net you 120mil will net you 350mil or so.
The extends are now set at 1bil and 10bil. Why they felt the need to increase the scoring is anyone's guess. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Overall it looks a lot like an Arrange mode on a console port. :/I have close to zero interest in this game now. I'm not a fan of these changes.
My score archive

elf

vid doesnt work for me.
There only is a black screen with some kanji and a lot of W's scrolling from the right to the left, propably the comments, just the video itself is missing :(

jpj