Other things you've found that Danmaku shmups help out with

Started by adverse, June 24, 2008, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

Well, we play these things pretty often and they certainly help out our levels of concentration and hand-eye coordination, so....do they help you in real life in any way?

I cycle to work everyday in the city and there's something about dodging through the massive pedestrian crowds that move across intersections when lights turn green that remind me of the bullet clouds of manic shmups.  The cycling/shmupping combo has upped my skill level in both hobbies.  :laugh:

EOJ

I think my reaction time and ability to scan the scene while driving is better than a non-gamer due to long-term play of fast-paced video games. Probably not due to shmups exclusively though.

I've never had an accident in over 12 years of driving. :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Eight One

All those taillights must turn shades of blue and pink...

MX7

I suffer from panic disorder, which means I'm prone to anxiety attacks. The intense concentraction of playing danmaku games can pretty much always dispel an attack. I guess it's like meditation, but instead of staring at the serenity of a candle, you completely loose yourself in the chaos, and become calm as a result. It might sound pretentious, but there's something very Zen about bullet hell games :laugh:

sven666

Quote from: MX7It might sound pretentious, but there's something very Zen about bullet hell games :laugh:
definetly, after a heavy session when you get "in the zone" you get a great feeling of acomplishment and fullfillness.

however if i play like shit and cant acomplish anything it leaves me very frustrated so its not entierly risk-free :P

jpj

i've always seen playing them as entirely negative and kinda detrimental :oops:
i carry on for the same reason i still smoke though  :/

Sycada

Quote from: sven666
Quote from: MX7It might sound pretentious, but there's something very Zen about bullet hell games :laugh:
definetly, after a heavy session when you get "in the zone" you get a great feeling of acomplishment and fullfillness.

however if i play like shit and cant acomplish anything it leaves me very frustrated so its not entierly risk-free :P
Same with me. Once I remember while playing the final stage of Ikaruga I got into a trance with the bullet waves and didn't even realise that my housemates were next to me asking me questions until I finished my game. :laugh:
Like hypnosis or something