Started by EOJ, April 03, 2022, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

buffi

Hoping it gets some new fun DLC, similar to the gothic mahou characters in DS1. Always cool with more ports

Yūrei

That's a good news, but what bother me is that it means it will be a basic port, not even scanlines filter and all...

Sandinista

Yeah , always good to see new ports   :)

EOJ

Release date is December 15! Will also have a new arranged soundtrack to select + online leaderboards.

https://city-connection.co.jp/akaikatana/

https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/1560146585560190976

If they fix the slowdown in the original AK Arcade mode (or at least get it a bit more accurate), I will be very happy.
My score archive

EOJ

Good news! SPE says this port will have more accurate slowdown in Arcade mode than the X360 version:

https://twitter.com/SPE2500/status/1560168907914493952

Considering the EXA version's Arcade mode is not very accurate either, this could be the definitive port!
My score archive

buffi

As someone who owns both the PCB (EOJ's old one :D ) and the Exa Version.... do anyone even actually want slowdown like on PCB?
That shit is pretty silly. It's basically goes full powerpoint presentation mode.

EOJ

It would be nice to have a home version with the PCB's slowdown (or, at least, reasonably close to it), since we already have one without it.
My score archive

EOJ

Tokyo Game Show playable version:

Credit goes to AKF.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

I forgot this released yesterday. Haven't bought it yet. Anyone playing it?
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: EOJ on August 18, 2022, 11:35:22 PM
Good news! SPE says this port will have more accurate slowdown in Arcade mode than the X360 version:

https://twitter.com/SPE2500/status/1560168907914493952

Considering the EXA version's Arcade mode is not very accurate either, this could be the definitive port!

I can't believe it, but they actually did it! Check out this stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8GFvzpijY

The first 36 minutes are of the Arcade port on the PS4. The slowdown is nearly arcade-perfect from start to finish. Incredible!
My score archive

EOJ

I'm going to wait to buy this when it is released on the US/EUR PSN stores (hopefully soon, since the game already has English, Spanish, and French language options). It will only be $29.99 USD. Right now it is only available outside of Japan on Steam. I just don't feel like buying an overpriced JPN PSN card to play this and pay 3410 yen.

https://city-connection.co.jp/akaikatana/en/
My score archive

Liquidus0

One big issue so far is the lack of knockback when you get hit by lasers. Hope it gets fix soon.

EOJ

I've read that in regard to the Switch version, but it looks like there is 'knockback' from the lasers in the video I posted above. Which version are you playing?
My score archive

Third_strike

Quote from: EOJ on December 15, 2022, 03:24:01 PM
I'm going to wait to buy this when it is released on the US/EUR PSN stores (hopefully soon, since the game already has English, Spanish, and French language options). It will only be $29.99 USD. Right now it is only available outside of Japan on Steam. I just don't feel like buying an overpriced JPN PSN card to play this and pay 3410 yen.

https://city-connection.co.jp/akaikatana/en/

And how is it doing on the pc?

Liquidus0

Quote from: EOJ on December 16, 2022, 02:25:32 PM
I've read that in regard to the Switch version, but it looks like there is 'knockback' from the lasers in the video I posted above. Which version are you playing?

I saw reports and videos for the Steam version. Looking at the video you posted, we can se during the sisters boss and the last boss that there's no knockback.

EOJ

This issue made me go out and pay $44 for a 5000 yen JPN PSN card and buy the game digitally. I didn't really know what you and others meant by 'knockback'. I thought you were talking about getting hit by the lasers in your 'ship' mode. But now, I think you mean being hit by the lasers in 'Nenshin' (or 'Spirit') mode. In the X360/PCB versions, when you get hit by lasers OR bullets in Nenshin mode and you don't push forward, you get 'nudged' backwards a little bit. In the PS4 version, you get nudged back by the bullets when in Nenshin mode, but not by the lasers. So you are right, this is an issue that needs to be fixed. However, I consider it to be very minor, as you are invincible when in Nenshin anyway (when not holding laser), and I honestly never even noticed this minor thing before.

After playing the PS4 port, I can offer the following comments:

1) Input lag is the same or better than the X360 version (so, 3 or 4 frames). Very responsive. (Note: I am playing the PS4 version on a PS5)
2) The menus look more pixelated on the PS4 version than the X360.
3) The slowdown accuracy on the PS4 version is SO MUCH better than the X360 version (it is way better than the EXA port too). Playing them back to back, the X360 port feels like it runs on fast-forward. This is very close to the PCB, and if they fix that laser 'nudge-back' thing, it will be golden.
My score archive

EOJ

Okay, I played a few full runs. I only have the PS5 controller (no arcade stick), so it was hard for me to score well. Plus I haven't played AK in a long time. The slowdown often doesn't get as slow as the PCB does. It's about 90% accurate, whereas the X360 port is 40-50%. The ST5 boss and TLB are really accurate, and that is the main thing.

One thing I don't like is the picture quality isn't as good as the X360 port. Even with smoothing 'on', it has a rough, jagged look to everything. The X360 version looks better.

My score archive

EOJ

I tossed up a 285mil ALL replay (Arcade mode), since no one else seems to be playing the PS4 version. Not a great score (and quite sloppy playing), but not bad for playing with the PS5 controller!

My score archive

EOJ

I did another run and got 324mil! Pretty close to my best score on the PCB, so I guess the controller doesn't really matter.

After playing this a lot, I can say this is honestly my favorite version of the game (yes, I'd rather play this than the PCB). It has all the important slowdown from the PCB, but the parts where it nearly grinds to a halt on the PCB have been improved to still slow down, but not excessively so. The X360 version is pretty useless now, unless you like playing with 50%+ of the slowdown totally absent. No point in playing the Switch version either, since I have read it has 6 frames of input lag.
My score archive

EOJ

I tried out Zetsu mode. Almost no slowdown at all! Just like the DSII X Mode port for PS4. I got to the ST6 boss, but it was pretty hard, and not much fun. Anyway, gotta keep the X360 version around for Zetsu and Shin. Switch version might have slowdown in Zetsu, since it did have it in DSII X mode, but the extra frames of lag make it inferior.
My score archive

Sandinista

Quote from: EOJ on December 20, 2022, 05:59:01 PM
I did another run and got 324mil! Pretty close to my best score on the PCB, so I guess the controller doesn't really matter.

After playing this a lot, I can say this is honestly my favorite version of the game (yes, I'd rather play this than the PCB). It has all the important slowdown from the PCB, but the parts where it nearly grinds to a halt on the PCB have been improved to still slow down, but not excessively so. The X360 version is pretty useless now, unless you like playing with 50%+ of the slowdown totally absent. No point in playing the Switch version either, since I have read it has 6 frames of input lag.

Ok , youve convinced me ... just ordered ps4 physical copy so will take a while

After the terrible DS 2 port on the ps4 i was going to give this a miss , but as the arcade mode is the most accurate to the pcb , i couldnt resist

EOJ

This was finally released on the USA/Euro digital console stores today. $29.99. Grab it on your Switch, PS4/PS5 or Xbox Series!
My score archive