Main Menu

Donpachi chaining

Started by texacala, January 04, 2012, 10:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texacala

I started working on this game for the New Year and... is it just me or is it near impossible to keep a chain going?  I can barely get over 30 hits before I lose it.  Is chaining even a big part of the scoring?  I'm just over 3 million on a credit but Stage 4 is long and I usually get killed at the boss.

Despatche

Chaining in Donpachi is difficult, it's not like later games that imply full stage chains; I guess you could say it's a bit more freeform. I believe chains end about 0.5 sec. after the last hit.

Most people have around 3 or 4 million before going into 1-4. I think chaining makes up about half of the potential, with the other half being no-miss no-bomb; also bees make up quite a few points compared to Dodonpachi. A successful ALL NMNB may not be doable, because no one's been able to escape 2-4... Type C has it particularly bad because it seems impossible to dodge one of the 1-4 boss's attacks.

Stages 4 and 5 are very long, yes. It's the same way with Batsugun, except stages 1~2~3 are even shorter in that game.

It also seems that top players want to hide their secrets. The most recent play I've seen is from some nice Korean player, oddly enough... I don't remember the site. I think you should consult Plasmo for more about Donpachi in general.

CIB

Chaining is REALLY hard in this game but it's a huge part of the scoring.
The korean replay you are talking about was trully impressive but... half-way from sof-wtn's world record  :whyioughtta: :whyioughtta: :whyioughtta:
Been trying to find a superplay on this game for ages without success.

You can check the top scores here:
http://replay.marpirc.net/frames.htm
The top score is 24mil, which is rather far from the 71mil world record O_o

This is the only TASed video I know about, unfortunately, they didn't go for scoring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDZAso9vsX0

texacala

Thanks for the info.  My main goal is to just 1cc the first loop with a halfway decent score, so I'll keep experimenting with short chains.  It's interesting that top scorers still keep secrets; it's an old game!

zlk

Certain players who have scored 70m+ will not show their replays to anyone "for any amount of money."  That was what was told to me by one of the players when I offered to pay for a replay.  Apparently a group of people got together to share techniques on how to no miss 2-4 and a few guys actually did it.   I think they also discussed optimal chains as well.  Some people in the group don't want their top secret strategies revealed to the world (I am not making this up) and so none of the highest scoring replays will be shown.  That is unless some new player comes along and figures things out on their own and releases a video. 

TimingTripod40

drunkninja

Quote from: TimingTripod40 on January 16, 2012, 01:21:21 AM
That's fucking ridiculous.

Seriously.  Of all the things to be tight-lipped about, scoring strategies for an almost 20 year old game....come on now.

EOJ

It's interesting that people are still playing this old game. I don't care if they keep their strategies to themselves, and I don't blame them for wanting to keep their WRs after they spent the time to figure out all the stuff on their own. If anyone wants to beat their scores, they'll have to be smarter and have better reflexes. That's the way it should be.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I think too many players these days simply spend their time memorizing the patterns of others rather than planning out their own unique strategies. I'm guilty of this too, of course, but there were times when I figured out things on my own. For example, when I first got my Futari BL PCB (when it was released in 2007), there were no videos, and I had to figure out stuff on my own. It was both challenging and satisfying - getting 855mil in Maniac mode with Reco (six months after the game's release) with my own strategies remains one of my proudest accomplishments. Oddly, no Westerner has beaten this score yet. Also my Pink Sweets PCB infinite lives 1CCs - I figured out all that stuff on my own and I'm proud of that too. I'm proud of what I did in Muchi Muchi Pork as well, as a lot of that I had to figure out on my own (especially the second loop stuff) due to a lack of vids to study.

In contrast I'm not nearly as proud of any of my Futari 1.5, Espgaluda (I/II) or Deathsmiles (I/II) scores as they were pretty much just a product of memorizing and copying as best as I could.

Anyway, just food for thought.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

CIB

Quote from: zlk on January 15, 2012, 08:16:11 PM
Certain players who have scored 70m+ will not show their replays to anyone "for any amount of money."  That was what was told to me by one of the players when I offered to pay for a replay.  Apparently a group of people got together to share techniques on how to no miss 2-4 and a few guys actually did it.   I think they also discussed optimal chains as well.  Some people in the group don't want their top secret strategies revealed to the world (I am not making this up) and so none of the highest scoring replays will be shown.  That is unless some new player comes along and figures things out on their own and releases a video. 

Will they accept a noob like me to come at their house and watch the replay once ?
I mean, I can't even 1-All dodonpachi so there's no way I would beat their record even if I tried for 10 years (and I don't want to lol)

TimingTripod40

Quote from: EOJ on January 16, 2012, 05:08:13 AM
This is a bit of a tangent, but I think too many players these days simply spend their time memorizing the patterns of others rather than planning out their own unique strategies. I'm guilty of this too, of course, but there were times when I figured out things on my own. For example, when I first got my Futari BL PCB (when it was released in 2007), there were no videos, and I had to figure out stuff on my own. It was both challenging and satisfying - getting 855mil in Maniac mode with Reco (six months after the game's release) with my own strategies remains one of my proudest accomplishments. Oddly, no Westerner has beaten this score yet. Also my Pink Sweets PCB infinite lives 1CCs - I figured out all that stuff on my own and I'm proud of that too. I'm proud of what I did in Muchi Muchi Pork as well, as a lot of that I had to figure out on my own (especially the second loop stuff) due to a lack of vids to study.
Yeah, I kind of see what you mean. When I was in Japan and cleared Mushi 1.5 Original at the arcade with no prior experience it was an such a great feeling even though most other seem to find it an extremely easy game. Since I've been home I've been having technically some of the best runs I've ever done in Futari 1.5 Ultra but the sense of accomplishment isn't really there anymore and I feel kind of burned out after half a year straight of workmanlike replay studying/practicing/restarts.

Still, what SOF is doing just sounds wrong to me. If he feels he deserves the WR then he shouldn't need to try and stifle possible competition to maintain it. Really, it's just a game. He has no copyright over those tricks.

EOJ

Who knows if these guys really got the scores they claim, they haven't offered much proof. It could just be an elaborate troll. Arcadia magazine doesn't recognize their scores.
My score archive

CIB

Kaneda

Quote from: EOJ on January 16, 2012, 07:20:59 PM
Who knows if these guys really got the scores they claim, they haven't offered much proof. It could just be an elaborate troll. Arcadia magazine doesn't recognize their scores.

Do you mean the guys making this DVD or SOF-WTN? He just had a new score of 74m listed in the new issue. I didn't have time to check if they did a little write up on it, but it would be nice to know the details.

EOJ

Guys making the DVD. That 74mil score is very impressive!
My score archive