Akai Katana to be released in N.America by RSG (Q2 2012)

Started by mdsfx, January 26, 2012, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkninja

ookitarepanda

Question for other Japanese speakers...

The first boss has the name "Hiiragi" in the localized version, but Tsubaki and Sumire still say "やめてください、しはん!" So is it just that his full name is Shihan Hiiragi?

Secondly, the third boss has the name "Shakunage," which mirrors what the 2nd boss says upon explosion, "しゃくなげ様" but he's also Suzuran and Shion's brother right? In the instruction book, his name is given as Aogiri. Same deal?

After finally getting a chance to read the story stuff, the inter-stage scenes make more sense now. How would you know anything about the story if you only played the game through at the arcade anyway?

Story in a shooter, I know...  :whyioughtta:

EOJ

So what's the deal with the score font? Can you change it to the original one or are you stuck with the new goofy one?
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Orochi S

Quote from: eojx9999 on May 19, 2012, 09:52:10 PM
So what's the deal with the score font? Can you change it to the original one or are you stuck with the new goofy one?

Can't see any option to change it...

texacala

This game is such a challenge for me.  I feel like I'm learning to drive a stick shift again as far as understanding the scoring.  Is it just me, or is this system pretty damn complicated?  I'm playing Arcade version ("Origin") and slowly figuring it out, but I have yet to feel like I'm in a rhythm as far as cashing in on scoring items.  I have a feeling that once it clicks I'm really going to like it.

EOJ

The Arcade scoring system is a thing of beauty. It's sorta like MMP mixed with Espgaluda II mixed with DSII mixed with Ikaruga. Definitely Cave's most complex system to date, but once you understand all of its intricacies, it becomes very easy and intuitive to play.

Zetsu makes many significant changes to the Arcade system beyond the obvious stuff like the unlimited hit count, the extra stage, the more numerous enemies in stages, and the tougher boss bullet patterns. For example, you can no longer do the "Hold C tap A" energy regeneration technique, and lasers now give energy capsules instead of gold so you can use laser enemies as easy energy refills.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Didn't know if this should go in Ura Loop or in here, but I made a scan of the US version instruction manual if you want to read through.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40057770/Akai%20Katana.pdf

EOJ

That's pretty cool, thanks! Strange they use photos of the Japanese version in the manual (as indicated by the hi score font).
My score archive

texacala

Slowly getting better... slowly understanding... but damn, I find Arcade so addictive and so hard at the same time that I alternately celebrate and get pissed off.  And the autobomb is just insulting.  I mean Jesus.  Also, I find myself restarting over and over again.  Maybe I should just play the games out and I'll make more progress.

emphatic

Quote from: ookitarepanda on May 25, 2012, 01:00:12 AM
Didn't know if this should go in Ura Loop or in here, but I made a scan of the US version instruction manual if you want to read through.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40057770/Akai%20Katana.pdf

Thanks!

ookitarepanda

ookitarepanda

I borrowed the PCB from a terrific guy recently, and since getting it my life has been changed. Wish I could keep it.

Seriously, fuck the port. That thing is missing every single slowdown aspect the game could have.

Video to come soon.

EOJ

Quote from: ookitarepanda link=topic=1537.msg30278#msg30278

Seriously, fuck the port. That thing is missing every single slowdown aspect the game could have.

The slowdown accuracy is pretty good in the port, actually. The PCB has more, true, but most of it doesn't make the game easier to score except some bits on the TLB. I have played the PCB and I prefer the port.

Note: my comments pertain to the JP port. I don't know if the usa/euro port has less slowdown than the JP one.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

There's one trick in particular you'll see, as soon as this video finishes.

If you get a shitload of gold or E on your option and hold it there, the game chugs. It's like playing in kakusei (as you'll hear me say in the video as well). Never experienced that on the port, whether JP or US.

But like I said, sometime I'll make a comparison video when I get some extra time.

EOJ

That happens in the port too. Happens to me everytime at the start of stage 1, for example. And I do it on the stage 1 boss for extra slowdown too.

My score archive

Softdrink 117

A quick question:
I can't find the US release of Akai Katana on any of the major 360 region compatibility lists-- can someone confirm if it'll work on an NTSC-J console?

I found a good deal locally, but I'm not sure it'll run on my console.

Thanks in advance.

EOJ

My score archive

Softdrink 117

Quote from: eojx9999 on July 08, 2012, 08:08:01 PM
It won't work on an ntsc-j console.
:'(

I'll have to pick up the Japanese release eventually then. Thanks!

ookitarepanda

Videos are all edited and ready to go, I just need to get this thing side-by-side or picture-in-picture. While Windows Movie Maker was generally helpful, iMovie is being a pain in the ass. Hopefully will get the video posted tomorrowish.

Muchi Muchi Spork

The thing about Katana though is lots of people bitched about the amount of slowdown in the arcade version. So I guess I don't really blame them for making it less on the port.

EOJ

I watched your vid. Nothing surprising in it. Watch phan's 525mil ALL on the port's superplay DVD, then watch his 504mil ALL on the PCB on youtube. That's a good way to see the differences too (and to see they don't affect scoring).

Almost all Cave ports have less slowdown than their PCB counterparts, that is old news. However, only a few really hurt as a result of this (DSMBL, DSII w/ Lei, Ibara). Your previous statement:

Quote from: ookitarepanda on July 06, 2012, 11:10:26 PM

Is quite untrue (and ridiculous). The port has most, but not all, of the PCB's slowdown.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

You're right, that statement was ridiculous and exaggerated. That post in particular came from back-to-back plays where I no-missed the board and then barely beat the port with 1 life and no bombs left. So you can imagine my frustration.

I have a theory that different levels of players experience different levels of slowdown. I think as I'm on a lower rung, my experience is different from a pro, especially at Akai Katana where you can make the game reduce speed through player skill. Still I think my video provides some valid points.

TimingTripod40

Quote from: ookitarepanda on July 10, 2012, 09:00:21 AM
I have a theory that different levels of players experience different levels of slowdown. I think as I'm on a lower rung, my experience is different from a pro, especially at Akai Katana where you can make the game reduce speed through player skill. Still I think my video provides some valid points.
I think you have a good point here about it being often the lesser skilled players who make a big deal out of the missing slowdown while others who are at a higher level of play have spent enough time playing to where they don't even need the slowdown so they aren't too effected by it not being there. Another example of this effect would be RSG 360 port where people were saying it was so much harder than the Saturn version but then ben.shinobi went and beat his old score no problem.

ookitarepanda

Not to further drive this away from talking about Akai Katana, but I should clarify I guess. When I say I'm lower rung, I'm sorta being humble. There is just this middle ground where I care enough about the game to get All-clears and top 10% scores for some of them (on shmups forums etc) but the differences are still notable. Im not even sure how to articulate what I mean...

EOJ

It may be that the port has significantly less slowdown than the pcb when played at low rank and/or low scoring. The slowdown in the port kicks in in full gear when the rank is high and the bullet count gets dense. This allows one to do all the high level scoring patterns as on the pcb, because the high rank slowdown is so similar.
My score archive

deexor

I'd say high rank / high scoring slowdown felt very different on the PCB, after playing the port for a good while. I got to play the PCB in Hey and Ebi-sen, and it was significantly easier to get good scores. I pulled off 386 and 391 million runs on a few credits without much struggle, while it takes more effort on the port to do worse.

Of course, adjusting to the speed on the port won't be a problem for the masters, as evidenced by Phan's superplay.