Deathsmiles 2 in USA - No Disc No Buy

Started by Kain Garland, May 16, 2011, 12:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muchi Muchi Spork

They might support the DLC for the 360 for a long time but it won't be forever. You can't get updates for Windows 98 anymore, probably not even for 2000 or ME and they would have dropped XP but half the world refuses to give it up. I've heard the backwards support thing before from Sony and look what happened there. And it's still a total mess even if they keep the support up, in my opinion. Not to mention when they sell add-on DLC, like paying for a new player suit in MK or a new character in that Neo Witches whatever game, that's so lame.

bcass

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on May 16, 2011, 07:24:59 PMYou can't get updates for Windows 98 anymore, probably not even for 2000 or ME

You can get all the old updates, patches, fixes, security updates etc. for all the old versions of Windows and all the old versions of all their old software.  Anything prior to XP isn't officially supported any more, but that just means you don't get any new updates, it doesn't mean you can't download all the old updates.

TheSoundofRed

I'm so confused by this logic. Kain should be happy to get any Cave game released in the NA region, digital download or otherwise.

Cave's game developing division is extremely small. They're not even close the likes of NIS or Atlus when it comes to the niche market. They're more niche than the niche.
And in regards to wanting english translations... the Deathsmiles II plot is easy enough to decipher just by the static cutscene artwork. To be honest... I don't really care to know the dialog.

To sum it up... I don't think anyone here agrees that boycotting Cave is the answer to anything. Especially when they LITERALLY started releasing their games in other regions less than a year ago.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: bcass on May 16, 2011, 07:35:20 PM
Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on May 16, 2011, 07:24:59 PMYou can't get updates for Windows 98 anymore, probably not even for 2000 or ME

You can get all the old updates, patches, fixes, security updates etc. for all the old versions of Windows and all the old versions of all their old software.  Anything prior to XP isn't officially supported any more, but that just means you don't get any new updates, it doesn't mean you can't download all the old updates.

I didn't know that. I'm sure I remember trying to update my 98SE laptop and being denied. Maybe they have them in separate download pages or something. Better than nothing I guess. Anyway I hope the updates are available indefinitely but I still don't like DLC all over the place or even hard drives on consoles. They will all fail in a few years as all hard drives do. DLC is sloppy and it lets game developers be sloppy too. They don't even need to find all the bugs before releasing a game. Just ship it out and let the early buyers send bug reports.

bcass

HDD failure won't matter, just buy a new one and re-download all your DLC.  Not that I expect many people to ever experience this.  You'll be wanting to upgrade it for more space long before it became anywhere near worn out.  If you're worried about losing saves, back them up onto a USB stick.  Yeah, I know you get the odd HDD sudden death, but it's not common, it's only within the general (small) odds of failure that all consumer electronics suffer from.

dan76

If a game doesn't sell via GoD Cave aren't then going to release retail versions are they. Like most of these things it's an experiment to see how it sells (though I think it's the wrong choice of game to try it out on). I wonder if they're regretting making Futari region free...

Digital distribution is good in that you don't have to wait by the letterbox hoping Royal Mail hasn't lost your game - but you are basically handing over control of your access to the game in the future. As previously mentioned, there's no guarentee how long these servers will be going, and backwards compatibility is never a cert - putting your faith in a company to do the obvious is dumb - a couple of years ago who would have thought we have to ask for full screen 4:3, being able to enter your initials at the end of a game etc.

If you own a physical disc it's up to you the condition you keep it in. Unlike external HD's a disc won't suddenly fail for no reason. It's basically something you are responsible for, and I'd rather that than believing that in 5/10 years time the server will still be going.
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

EOJ

@Kain: If you really think boycotting Cave GoD releases will inspire them to release these games on discs in North America, you're living in a fantasy land. Cave has basically stated it's GoD or nothing for their shooting games in North America from here on out. If Deathsmiles sold well, we wouldn't be seeing this, but it bombed, and Aksys is done. No one else seems interested in localizing Cave games, but can you blame them? There's no money in it. Low sales of GoD Deathsmiles IIX will lead to NO new Cave shooters playable in North America. Face reality, please. If you want the games released on discs buy a JP X360 -- they're not that expensive, and you can sell off your USA X360 once it arrives. If you want the GoD releases MAYBE A YEAR LATER, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, AND IF DSIIX SELLS WELL, stick with your USA X360. If you don't want to download GoD releases and you don't want to buy a JP X360, enjoy Deathsmiles, Guwange, and the few region free JP X360 Cave shooters, as that's probably all you'll ever see.

Thread locked to prevent further ridiculousness.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999