Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu [CAVE 2008]

Started by EOJ, January 28, 2008, 03:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPang

Quote from: GaijinPunch on August 11, 2008, 01:25:24 AM
So as a self-proclaimed "sucky" player, have you cleared the first loop yet, SP?  Did you clear Death Smiles?  Just curious...don't meant to put you on the spot.
I cleared Deathsmiles (IIRC one or two werent rank 3 and I skipped the extra stage). I can cruise through DFK Bomber and get fucked over on those level 5 lasers. As soon as I figure out a path there I'm sure its within my reach.

Underneath it all the level design and bullet patterns are just awesome. I love the fourth stage.

Needs a black label.

EOJ

After watching the new Ura mode ALL vid on nico vid, this game (in Bomb style) seems like a combination of Dodonpachi and Pink Sweets more than anything else. Lots of bullet cancelling, absorption, and bombing. I've already mentioned how the boss milking is similar in DFK and Pink Sweets.

The TLB fight doesn't seem all that different from Pink Sweets final boss fight, in terms of how many times most players will bomb and cancel bullets. The whole rhythm of it is similar, I guess.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

PROMETHEUS

I never noticed before how the stars coming out of the bosses' body when they die encourage you to kind of scroll over them from top to bottom while their clothes go away, trying to make you feel like you're undressing them. It's bothering the hell out of me now when I watch vids of this game T_T

EOJ

Just got this game today and played a bunch of credits. It's pretty rad.

Things that impress me:

-Really fast-paced gameplay. Smooth as silk.
-Great bullet patterns. Boss patterns are quite fast and a good challenge to dodge
-I love how the counter goes down like in Mushi if you don't have a hyper or aren't using a hyper. This is a big improvement that
makes the game more fun from the start.
-Power type is a really good challenge, and the weapon changing reminds of Ibara Kuro. Anyone complaining that the game is easy just needs to play this. The fast hyper recharge also makes this type lots of fun.
-Bomb type isn't as bad as I feared, the autobomb doesn't really bother me, it's not much different from the barrier in the Espgaluda games.
I also like how manually used bombs last much longer and do much more damage than the autobomb. It's a lot better to manually bomb on a boss than get hit and trigger the autobomb, so there's still a good need to trigger the bomb yourself at the right times. This creates a new tension in the game - do you try and dodge that nasty pattern and risk the autobomb, or trigger a bomb yourself for a safe, stronger attack?

Things I don't like:
-Stage 5 is too long.
-High score charts are a little choppy when they scroll (why is it so hard for the SH3 board to display THIS?)
-I wish they offered a control scheme in Power type where the weapon change could be done with the D button, and the hyper on the B button.
-No restart command with bomb type.

Overall this is easily my fave Dodonpachi, and another great Ikeda game to add to the collection.
My score archive

KOMA

C'mon in the high thread when you have the game in hand! =D
I honestly never use bomb myself in this game,it's always a mistake and auto bomb save my life.Same in the level where i'm too focus to do a great chain.

PROMETHEUS

First loop doesn't look any harder than Ketsui's to me, in videos. I'm thinking Bomb Style may even be a little harder than Power Style when scoring properly, because you're using less hypers and killing enemies and bosses slower due to a weaker shot, but I'm not sure.

Anyway it was still a lot of fun to play this game, the scoring is fun and it looks so gorgeous @_@!

jpj

nice one EOJ.  you thinking of adding a review of it, in time?

jaycm1

im glad you like it eoj i was getting a bad vibe about this game no one seem to have much praise for it,im thinking of getting it if another one comes up at $1340  =D

EOJ

It's a really awesome game. The level design is superb and the graphics and music are fantastic.
It still requires a good deal of skill to score well, but the scoring system is more flexible for beginners. It's just a lot of fun to pick up and play.

@jpj: Yeah, I'll probably toss a review up some time.
My score archive

Sycada

Quote from: jaycm1 on October 02, 2008, 01:32:46 PM
im glad you like it eoj i was getting a bad vibe about this game no one seem to have much praise for it,im thinking of getting it if another one comes up at $1340  =D

I was getting the same feeling but this has really rekindled my interest in it. I'm definately gonna take the plunge in the next few months!
I didn't like the sound of the autobomb at first but since EOJ has clarified that it is weaker when it autos I think it sounds like a really sweet idea.  :laugh:

PROMETHEUS

if you don't like it you can always play power style anyway ~

GaijinPunch

The problem w/ this game is the fucking auto-bomb.  It really does kill it for me (but maybe not for all).  This was easily my most highly anticipated Cave game in a long time.  The AOU Show and Loke Test version were perfect.  I don't know why Cave needs to stray from the tried and true 3 bombs + 3 extends w/ 3 bombs each formula.  Yes, I know I can do Power Style, but that's a little too hard (even that has an autobomb, too). 

I'll get it again and devote some time to Power Style I'm sure, but now, I just can't squeeze it in.

EOJ

Power-type seems about the same difficulty as DOJ or Ketsui, at least in the first loop. People love those games (and their difficulty), so I don't see why they wouldn't enjoy the challenge here. Yeah, it's not the cookie-cutter "stock 3 bombs, use them or lose them" formula, but I like the innovation they've done here. Pink Sweets is similarly unorthodox and that game is brilliant because of it (yeah I know you hate this game anyway GP!  ;)).

When I play Ketsui, I never bomb (because I'm practicing to get to the loops). So Power-style feels quite similar.  :) You could even say Mushi Futari 1.0 is similar, due to the lack of bombs in the game and the very low bomb damage.
My score archive

KOMA

For me,there is no problem with the autobomb.In fact,this is the only cave game where every gamers can reach the last stage each every credits he puts on,plug and play,accesibility,fun.
In any case autobomb or bomb yourself kill your score anyway,dodge is the key(still).It's just my opinion,i'm sure somes peoples are not agree with that,juste the feeling i have with DFK so far.

GaijinPunch

Playing in the arcade is way different.  THat was my initial turn off (shitty players taking forever).  Of course at home, it's when you fuck a run you either reboot or wait forever to die.

EOJ

This game is very, very addictive.  When you get a high chain going and use a lot of hypers, it's a real rush. I also love how you can plow over the bosses in a matter of seconds if you know what you're doing. Power style actually isn't very hard once you get used to it - I regularly get to the middle of stage 5 on a credit now. Stage 5 is really hard with either Bomb or Power style. My best score so far is 6.3 bil up to stage 5 w/ B-Power (the blue ship).

Time will tell, but this could end up being my favorite CAVE game ever. It makes chaining fun again!
My score archive

PROMETHEUS

I thought the blue ship was considered C type again since 1.5, no ?

EOJ

Yeah, I'm not totally clear on that. A lot of people call the green ship the C-type in 1.5. Perhaps to not confuse the A/B distinction already established in ver 1.0.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just checked Arcadia's page, and it is indeed A=red, B=green, C=blue for ver1.5.
My score archive

KOMA

I don't really understand how the power style works.Between boost mode or not.It seems(to me) if you use a lot of Hyper,the bullets can't be absorbed by your shot/Ship.

EOJ

When using a hyper in power, normal increases your chain quickly while boost increases your hyper gauge. After 5 hypers in a level you can't cancel bullets anymore with a hyper (unless you die), but if you use a boost hyper during this time you usually get a lot of slowdown, and you can destroy everything faster too of course. Whenever you use a hyper on a large enemy, laser, or boss, try and hold A and move over the enemy during the start of the hyper - it will usually fill up another hyper as you do it. The hyper gauge is based on proximity and the use of the A shot. The closer you are, the faster it fills up.

Basically you have to learn how to use the hypers, start-of-hyper invincibility, and the end-of-hyper bullet cancel to your advantage, especially on bosses.
My score archive

KOMA

Thank you EOJ for the explanations.  ;)

EOJ

One thing I forgot to mention: Using a Boost Hyper increases your chain on the midbosses.
My score archive

jaycm1

Quote from: EOJ on October 04, 2008, 07:06:01 PM
This game is very, very addictive.  When you get a high chain going and use a lot of hypers, it's a real rush. I also love how you can plow over the bosses in a matter of seconds if you know what you're doing. Power style actually isn't very hard once you get used to it - I regularly get to the middle of stage 5 on a credit now. Stage 5 is really hard with either Bomb or Power style. My best score so far is 6.3 bil up to stage 5 w/ B-Power (the blue ship).

Time will tell, but this could end up being my favorite CAVE game ever. It makes chaining fun again!
#
wow so you love it nearly as much as futari,it must be a top game can't wait to play this  :) wish i brought a kit when they was going cheap a few weeks ago  :'(

Shalashaska

I'm kind of surprised as well to hear you're liking this game so much EOJ. I'm kind of in the same boat as GP, this was easily my most anticipated release for some time (had money saved up for a day 1 release) but after seeing the loli stuff and then the inclusion of an auto-bomb, I kind of got turned off to the idea of it. Looking forward to hearing some more of your impressions after you've had the time to really sink your teeth into it.

EOJ

The so-called "loli" element is so minor as to be nearly non-existent. You see it during a portion of the end boss fights, and that's it. And the bosses are mecha-lolis at that.

My score archive

PROMETHEUS

Quote from: EOJ on October 05, 2008, 02:32:51 PM
The so-called "loli" element is so minor as to be nearly non-existent. You see it during a portion of the end boss fights, and that's it. And the bosses are mecha-lolis at that.
There is still that "undress & rape" element that is really, really disturbing I think once you realize it. But yeah,the loli element is kind of minor since it's only boss fights and it's quite hidden.

As for autobomb, I don't think it's that big of a deal really... except as GP mentioned if that's bothering you because you're waiting for newbies to lose in arcades. If you dislike the autobomb feature in your gameplay, or if you dislike having to wait forever to die and restart a run @home, just play power style.

EOJ

Quote from: PROMETHEUS on October 05, 2008, 02:46:31 PM

There is still that "undress & rape" element that is really, really disturbing I think once you realize it.

Sorry, I don't really see that at all. The mecha shell just disintegrates when you destroy a boss. You don't see a naked chick underneath.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I'm waiting for the kits to hit ESPGaluda II levels before getting into Power Style.